• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Death of Superman and Reign of Supermen - all issues and variants
13 13

403 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Note that the stickering of bar codes on direct sales books for newsstand distribution happened on at least one other book that I can find - Earthworm Jim. These are not mine, but I have a set where its like this as well - see the #1.

s-l1600.jpg

I don't think those were stickered for newsstand distribution.

I believe those were stickered by the book sellers, to conform with their internal computer coding.

Why do I believe that?

Because the only places in the newsstand distribution channel that consistently used the bar codes to scan nationwide were the book sellers (Barnes & Noble, Borders, Waldenbooks.)

Newsstands did what they always did: looked at the cover price and rang it up manually.

My other explanation is that the codes were inaccurate, and the stickers were placed by Marvel to correct them. That's not unheard of.

I'm leaning towards the latter for this specific example, because, if you'll notice...the sticker over the UPC box is covering a newsstand UPC....not a Direct UPC.

I have been tracking sales on these for a while now and the MOS 20 cheapest sold $29 highest was $220 both fell into the VF/NM average falling around $150. The AC 686 has been between $60 and $160 average  falling about $120 and the ADV 499 has been between  $32 and $155 average falling about $60 all of these prices are for raw. Only one of these has shown up graded 9.8 recently and the ADV 499 cgc 9.8 sold for just over $800 by offer on Ebay. However there hasn't been a whole lot of them to truly establish a real value and easily could sell for more or less. 

4 hours ago, Dwitkin82 said:

What’s real market value on these books raw....

Screenshot_20190510-184206.png

Screenshot_20190425-193110~2.png

Screenshot_20190607-012259_eBay.jpg

On 6/6/2019 at 5:26 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

I don't think those were stickered for newsstand distribution.

I believe those were stickered by the book sellers, to conform with their internal computer coding.

Why do I believe that?

Because the only places in the newsstand distribution channel that consistently used the bar codes to scan nationwide were the book sellers (Barnes & Noble, Borders, Waldenbooks.)

Newsstands did what they always did: looked at the cover price and rang it up manually.

My other explanation is that the codes were inaccurate, and the stickers were placed by Marvel to correct them. That's not unheard of.

I'm leaning towards the latter for this specific example, because, if you'll notice...the sticker over the UPC box is covering a newsstand UPC....not a Direct UPC.

I agree with you on that sticker.   It is not something the publisher created.  I'm sure I've seen at least 30 newsstand stickers that I believe were created by the publisher (and by that, I mean the printing company) and I've never seen one like the one you have shown above.

p.s.  I take my statement above back. I'm referring to DC newsstand stickers and I believe I can identify ones that are made by the publisher.  I'm afraid I know nothing about Marvel newsstand stickers.   I appreciate you RMA for showing the stickered comics... in my opinion, those are rare occurrences and there's not a lot of documentation on them.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

On 6/10/2019 at 2:33 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

.s.  I take my statement above back. I'm referring to DC newsstand stickers and I believe I can identify ones that are made by the publisher.  I'm afraid I know nothing about Marvel newsstand stickers.   I appreciate you RMA for showing the stickered comics... in my opinion, those are rare occurrences and there's not a lot of documentation on them.

I'm in complete agreement with you about the DC newsstand stickers, especially Superman #75 2nd. Can't be anything but made and added by DC, really.

The big clue is the code numbers. If the code numbers match the coding by the publisher for publisher and title, it's *probably* publisher made. If, however, the code numbers don't have the same numbers, it's *probably* a bookseller created sticker.

4 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I'm in complete agreement with you about the DC newsstand stickers, especially Superman #75 2nd. Can't be anything but made and added by DC, really.

The big clue is the code numbers. If the code numbers match the coding by the publisher for publisher and title, it's *probably* publisher made. If, however, the code numbers don't have the same numbers, it's *probably* a bookseller created sticker.

I concur.   I have noticed those differences among the stickers I've seen.

I thought this would be of interest to the followers of this thread.  Found an ebay auction (not mine) that includes two letters that are fully readable from the auction page.  One from DC states specifically that platinum Superman 75 has a print run of 10,000 with the numbering not starting at 1, it also says that the platinum TPB had a print run of under 5,000.  The other letter from Diamond says that the platinum TPB had a print run of 4,500, and this retailer got his copies by completing a survey by a certain date.  Don't know if this is common knowledge or not, I know I've read speculation.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Superman-75-Platinum-Edition-Sealed-TBP-Letter-From-DC-Gemini-Box/273918806432?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Edited by kenaran
typo, adding one word

On 6/17/2018 at 9:23 AM, Brandon Shepherd said:

I too have never seen a Superman #82 2nd printing in the wild. When I saw it in the guide, I wasn't sure it really existed until I saw a pic.

The Superman #82 2nd prints are out there , but like the DC Universe they were sealed hidden inside of a pack. The other issue with finding them is those who know tend to keep it to themselves as this pack contains two gems. It has the Superman #82 2nd print and a pack of Bloodlines Promo Cards that are the Grail version No Logo and No Number. Due to this as soon as these packs come up the few of us who know buy them as usually they are decently cheap.  I have found four of them so far in the wild.  Now that I have the ones I was after I am more than happy to share this.

20190823_031443.jpg

20190823_031453.jpg

20190823_031611.jpg

20190823_032033.jpg

20190823_031959.jpg

On 6/6/2019 at 1:34 PM, FlyingDonut said:

Note that the stickering of bar codes on direct sales books for newsstand distribution happened on at least one other book that I can find - Earthworm Jim. These are not mine, but I have a set where its like this as well - see the #1.

s-l1600.jpg

on another note.... i really like these issues of earthworm jim lol

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 2:25 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

The Superman #82 2nd prints are out there , but like the DC Universe they were sealed hidden inside of a pack. The other issue with finding them is those who know tend to keep it to themselves as this pack contains two gems. It has the Superman #82 2nd print and a pack of Bloodlines Promo Cards that are the Grail version No Logo and No Number. Due to this as soon as these packs come up the few of us who know buy them as usually they are decently cheap.  I have found four of them so far in the wild.  Now that I have the ones I was after I am more than happy to share this.imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

20190823_031443.jpg

20190823_031453.jpg

20190823_031611.jpg

20190823_032033.jpg

20190823_031959.jpg

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

I have not seen this before, thank you so much for sharing this.

Just a couple weeks ago mentioned this and this week BAM! Scored two of the sealed packs ( different places) as well as landed one single raw that stands a chance at a 9.8 for $1.36...

20190914_001436.jpg

20190914_000735.jpg