• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signed or Unsigned

54 posts in this topic

BTW I would let Steve Ditko sign my AF #15 in a second :cloud9:

I've got a Jack Kirby signature on the inside of my Strange Tales #110 and it's a prized posession. There are some sigs that defy the need for an SS designation.

I've got a Jack Kirby signature on the inside of my Strange Tales #110 and it's a prized posession. There are some sigs that defy the need for an SS designation.

Could you imagine the arguments if someone turned up with a Ditko book though. There'd be nothing to really authenticate it from if not CGC SS.

It'll never happen though.

Could you imagine the arguments if someone turned up with a Ditko book though. There'd be nothing to really authenticate it from if not CGC SS.

It'll never happen though.

Well, it'd have to be authenticated the old fashioned way. Through a bonded agent who specializes in historical autographs, or someone of that nature. There's a whole world out there full of legitimate valuable autographs before CGC started doing their thing - CGC just managed to wedge themselves into the primary position for autographed comics and photos and reinvent the way people see and accept autographed comics.

I have always said that I have no interest in signed books. I respect that some people really like them, but it is just not for me. I have 99% unsigned with two exceptions. The first was a Thief of Thieves variant I bought a while back and the other is my AF15 which has a Stan Lee signature on the first page. It's in a blue label CGC holder.

I have always said that I have no interest in signed books. I respect that some people really like them, but it is just not for me. I have 99% unsigned with two exceptions. The first was a Thief of Thieves variant I bought a while back and the other is my AF15 which has a Stan Lee signature on the first page. It's in a blue label CGC holder.

All the Stan Lee newer signatures on the covers of books have made me really admire (and want) a book with a Stan Lee signature on the first page.

I would make a rare exception in special cases.

Right now, I just have some celeb sigs and I'd add some creator/writer/artist sigs on modern books from my favorites. That's pretty much it.

+1

have a batman 13 signed by jerry robinson on the cover and signed by bob kane on the splash page. glad its not slabbed so i can look at it more often.

I think that for every book signed......it loses at least 100-200 buyers in the future.

I think that for every book signed......it only gains like 10-20 buyers.

I'd love to see any amount of research to actually back that up.

dont mind if I do!

for a search of CGC SS:

9324 closed auctions in ebay's current availble database

5487 sold books in ebay's current available database

that means of over 9k recently closed auction more than 58.8% of them sold successfully

For a search of CGC:

80,069 closed auctions in ebay's current available database

43,554 sold books in ebay's current available database

so just under 54.4% successfully sold items.

so blue books sell at a lower success rate than yellow label books, but obviously make up for that in volume.

That says nothing of realization of value vs market (performance, return, etc) I was surprised to see how similar the numbers (by percentages) were. I thought there would be more sitting in the SS numbers, but it seems like both markets churn around 55%

Cool. I wonder what percentage of the 5.5k SS books sold were sketch covers, magazines, lobby cards, con cards.

I am also surprised they are about even.

Would anyone say, no, if Steve Ditko agreed to sign your copy of AF #15?

The only reason I'd get anything signed is for the novelty value of it. Just a token reminder that I'd met the person. A collectible would be the very last thing I'd want them to sign. I'd rather value be added to something that had little value than sign something that had value already. I remember buying some original art and the artist asking If I wanted him to sign it. I told him I thought that was a little redundant and silly since he'd drawn the entire page. I have a very rough watercolor sketch done by Olivia. There was a really rare opportunity to have it signed by both her and Sandra Taylor, the model she'd drawn. I jumped at that chance. Someone earlier said "raw and on the cheap". I agree with that.

DG

The signatures that hold the most value are those done by people who don't sign a lot. Collectors scramble to get the ones which are harder to find.The more a person signs, the less value their signature is worth to collectors because supply outweighs demand. Stan signs things all the time for fans, so you are really only getting the novelty value of it.

DG

was watching a pawn stars where guy was selling screen used sports almanac signed by actors.  Expert explained that the sigs decreased the value-collectors want pristine.  I predict this attitude will eventually be the case in the future for comic books.  "AW dang it was signed.  What a shame".