• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Missing Cover and Grading

29 posts in this topic

Hey everybody. So I am trying to figure out what the consensus is about how much of a cover missing equals what grade. For instance, does 1/4 out of the front cover automatically equal a 1 or 1.5? Does 1/4 missing out of the back cover equal the same grade? Does a missing back cover equal a .5 or is it incomplete? I have looked at CGC's and Overstreet's grading guidelines, but when you look through the internet and different seller's websites, you don't seem to get a consensus. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Hey everybody. So I am trying to figure out what the consensus is about how much of a cover missing equals what grade. For instance, does 1/4 out of the front cover automatically equal a 1 or 1.5? Does 1/4 missing out of the back cover equal the same grade? Does a missing back cover equal a .5 or is it incomplete? I have looked at CGC's and Overstreet's grading guidelines, but when you look through the internet and different seller's websites, you don't seem to get a consensus. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

That's because they want your $$

I think a missing back cover = .5

1/4 missing BC = 1.0

1/4 missing FC = 1.0 unless it's the top 1/4. Then IMHO I'd say .5

2c

Do you think this would receive a 1.0...0.5...or N.G.?

8404797589_d7dc36ff8b.jpg

mm

See, I look at this and think .5. However, I could see an argument for a 1.0.

I know what you're saying. Aside from the missing section, it looks real nice.

This is more like 1/3 missing rather than 1/4 missing.

Tough call, but I'd still give it .5 since all issue info is gone from the cover :(

Historically, reputable sellers have generally assigned a grade of POOR to remaindered (stripped logo) and coverless specimens. At one point, CGC awarded both classes of specimens Universal (Blue Label) grades of 0.5. However, these days, coverless specimens receive the NG designation. Here are a few representative examples:

Remaindered-2.jpg

IncredibleH01-05.jpg

Action20-NG.jpg

I hope this helps. :foryou:

Two questions:

1) What is your approach when buying a remainder copy or a comic with no back cover from a dealer who has been faithfully pricing those at Fair, per Overstreet, for the past 30 years? I passed up a Journey Into Mystery 83 with no back cover for $500 last Christmas. Good was $1000, Fair used to be half Good, so it was spot on. I just didn't have the cash at the time, or I would've picked it up, and I seemingly would've lost on the deal.

2) What are the percentages below Good now?

Fair was 50% of Good

Pr was 1% of NM

And you had Fr/G and Pr/Fr in between them.

I don't usually buy in this range, but I'd happily buy a big Golden age book with a big chunk out of the back, or no back cover. Why buy a ragged, wet, rusty G when a 0.5 looks better in a mylar at a fraction of the cost?

I love it when I find a decent looking book with something wrong on the back cover, that makes it very affordable and gets me a nice book for my collection.

As I am not bothered about resale, the grade is irrelevant and its a better looking comic than I could otherwise afford.

See example below ;)

Adventure247.jpg

Adventure247Backcover.jpg

I love it when I find a decent looking book with something wrong on the back cover, that makes it very affordable and gets me a nice book for my collection.

As I am not bothered about resale, the grade is irrelevant and its a better looking comic than I could otherwise afford.

See example below ;)

Adventure247.jpg

Adventure247Backcover.jpg

Kevin I agree with you %100 percent. I find that small tears on the back of the comic are a great way to pick-up comics that you have no intention of reselling but display great. (thumbs u

I think you're being a bit too harsh, Marty. The missing chunk has taken out the "In this issue" data, but the masthead/nameplate and cover art are essentially intact, and the rest of the book looks pretty sharp. I'd feel comfortable calling this a FR (1.0).

:takeit:

I think you're being a bit too harsh, Marty. The missing chunk has taken out the "In this issue" data, but the masthead/nameplate and cover art are essentially intact, and the rest of the book looks pretty sharp. I'd feel comfortable calling this a FR (1.0).

:takeit:

Thanks for your favorable comment...any idea what a comic in this condition would be

valued at? I scanned the back cover.

9509150433_09779b099f.jpg

mm