• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Chicago Pt 1: Back In The Saddle Again

8 posts in this topic

So yeah...

After months and months of unemployment and having to sell stacks of my CGC issues off, I finally start my new job next week and can eventually start to get back to a semi-normal life, financially speaking...

Strangely enough, this is somewhat good for my comics collecting too, go figure lol...

So I scraped up enough money to be able to tag along with some friends to the Wizard World Chicago Convention held last weekend in Rosemont. It was a pretty nice show (better than the year before anyway) and the con runners did some different things with the show in general...some worked out nicely and some didn't...but overall a nice show.

"Fun" Fact of the Con Weekend: CGC took (according to them) a 500-issue On-Site order at the opening of the con (yes, 500-issues...the guy at the booth was very serious about it) which delayed EVERYONE'S books to the near-end of the day on Saturday and or Sunday...so if you were leaving the con before Sunday you were mostly out of luck and even more so if you were getting anything pressed before on-site grading...I dropped off books (some for pressing and grading and some just for grading) and barely got my "just grading" books back a handful of minutes before I left the con for the weekend on Saturday evening...I'll have to wait for the ones that I gave over for pressing and grading together I suppose...

Maybe CGC should rethink placing limits on how many books one can submit for on-site work...or maybe for dealers since it was obviously a dealer who submitted the CART OF BOOKS!!!!

But enough of that mess, moving along...

I didn't do a ton of shopping due to being slightly compromised in the financial sense but came along the booth belonging to Bedrock Comics and, in their CGC boxes (they had a nice cross section of stuff too) was a CGC 9.8 White Pages copy of Marvel Team-Up 100 which is the first appearance of Karma from the New Mutants (and more recently Astonishing X-Men fame).

I was so excited over finding it because I has been looking for a really nice copy of this book for a while and every time I found one on eBay I got locked out of it...The guys at Bedrock Comics wanted $100 for it...I mentioned that it was a bit out of my budget (despite the fact that, even at $100, it's a fair price for that book at that condition/grade).

They were really cool about it and gave me a sweetheart deal on the book that I won't even mention here because it was that cool of a deal. Got their business card and plan on dealing with them in the future as well...

Besides a few loose copies of some Whitman Buck Rogers books and a bootleg DVD of the ill-fated The Robinsons: Lost In Space TV pilot from 2004 (yes kids, the DVD bootleggers are back in force this year lol) this would be the only purchase I made at the con beyond pressing/grading stuff and, to be honest, was satisfied in just finding this. :)

14164.jpg

See more journals by SRoszkowski

thanks for the updates. I wanted to go to this show but had to work. I got to vicariously go thanks to this post...as with the CGC story... Too funny!

There's always one turd in the punch bowl.....

Come on... Tell us how much you paid for MTU 100.

I bought that comic back in the day... still fondly remember it.

I love that Frank Miller drew FF and Spider-Man.

The Black Panther/Storm back-up feature by John Byrne presaged their future together.

Congrats on getting a 9.8.

SW3D

Congrats on this score of one heck of a gem there. Also great to here things have turned around for you after everything. I still stand fast with my offer but if anything am all for helping you find what you had to let go of. Got a few more Colossus / Magik things in the works right now with a 11x17 Commission being done by Jamie Biggs as well as a couple blanks.

Really looking forward to seeing your collection build back up.

K