• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic's Greatest Rogue's Gallery

21 posts in this topic

Here is the top ten list of the greatest rogue's galleries in comics, acording to this month's Wizard.

List's also include their best/worst villains for each Hero(s).

1. Spider-Man Rogues

Best

Green Goblin, JJ Jameson, Venom, Lizard, Electro, Sandman, Scorpion

Worst

Doctor Octopus, The Tarantula, Kraven the Hunter, Carnage, Vulture, Tombstone

2. Batman Rogues

Best

Joker, Ra's Al Ghul, Talia, Two-Face, Catwoman, Killer Croc, Poison Ivy

Worst

Penguin, Clayface, Riddler, K G Beast, Bane

3. X-Men Rogues

Best

Magneto, Dark Pheonix, Cassandra Nova, Juggernaut, Hellfire Club, Proteus

Worst

Arcade, The Brood, Apocalypse, Trevor Fitzroy, Nimrod, Black Tom, Onslaught

4. Flash Rogues

Best

Captain Cold, Thinker, Gorilla Grodd, Murmur, Weather Wizard, Cicada

Worst

Abra Kadabra, Top, Trickster

5. Avengers Rogues

Best

Masters Of Evil, Baron Zemo, Wrecking Crew, Ultron, Graviton

Worst

Yellow Claw, Grim Reaper, Kang, Supreme Intelligence

6. Fantastic Four Rogues

Best

Dr. Doom, Galactus, Skrulls, Annihilus

Worst

The Frightful Four, Blastaar, Dragon Man, Diablo

7. Legion Of Super-Heroes Rogues

Best

The Blight, Ra's Al Ghul, Robotica, Fatal Five

Worst

Dr. Regulus, Sun Eater

8. The Hulk Rogues

Best

Abomination, U-Foes, Maestro, Wendigo

Worst

Gremlin, Leader, The Hulkbusters

JLA Rogues

Best

Despero, Injustice Gang, Prometheus, Queen Bee, White Martians

Worst

Professor Ivo, Starro the Conqueror, Royal Flush Gang

10. Superman Rogues

Best

Lex Luthor, Bizarro, Brainiac, Darkseid, Manchester Black

Worst

Doomsday, Silver Banshee, Parasite, Titano

Whew!

Pretty solid lists overall, although I would have liked to have seen Thor's Rogues in there, he has a pretty kick set of villains (except the Carbon Copy man grin.gif ).

.........and surely Spider-Man has worst villains than Doc Ock and Kraven. confused.gifblush.gif

What do you guys think of the lists?

1. WTF is wrong with Kraven? And I can think of much worse Spidey villains. Here's some:

Will'o The Wisp(SP?)

The Enforcers

Rhino(classic maybe, but a doofus)

Rocket Racer

Vulture ll

Man Mountain Marko

Spidey Slayers

Tarantula and Tombstone are villains that appealed to me. They just haven't been given a fair shake in the creative team department. With a decent writer, those 2 would have potential.

And I wouldn't call JJJ a villain. He's more of a supporting character, Slayers not withstanding.

2. Switch Riddler for Killer Croc.

3. Add Sabretooth to the "worst" list. smirk.gif

4. I'm not that familiar with Flash, but I always liked that "Bizarro"(?) Flash, the one with the orange costume. I remember reading a comic he was in as a kid, and I liked that they were equals.

5. What's wrong with the Grim Reaper? Always liked the Grim Reaper/Wonderman conflict.

6. I hate Skrulls! Other than that, the list is ok.

7. No idea about this team, but Ra's Al Ghul is always cool. cool.gif

8. Speaking of Rhino(above), he makes a good oponnent for The Hulk, although he's still a doofus. grin.gif

9. As you can tell I'm DC illeterate. crazy.gif

10. See above.

The lists are ok, but what I don't like about Wizard is that you can tell it's all about current trends and marketing. If all that Onslaught, or Fall of the Mutants was on the stands today, I'd bet you'd be seeing Apocolypse and Onslaught in the "best column". Kind of like the fact that Killer Croc is on the list is likely because he's in the current Lee/Loeb story arc. And if I recall, there was a point where they raved about Bane(Knightfall?). A reminder of why I stopped reading Wizard 3 years ago. mad.gif

I'm with you on this...Wizard is all about the here and now. I mean do you think Hulk's villains would even crack a top 50 list if there weren't a movie coming soon. Hulk is a cool character who has suffered from having a horrible list of enemies. FF should be higher on the list if only for Dr Doom...Same goes for Superman and Luthor (and Darkseid was THE villain in DC for a decade) And what is wrong with Apocolypse and Kraven and some of the others on this list? They have been around for a long time and have seen time in other books and even had books of their own. This list (like almost every other list Wizard has ever run) has virtually no interest in anything but current trends and is therefore without merit. I wonder if they actually have anyone working for them that loves comics for what they are, and not for what they are worth?

Darksied should be on the Legion of Superheros greatest list. One of the finest moments of 1980s comic books was when he carved a planet in his own image in the great darkness saga. How do you fight a villan who has the power and the ego to do that?

Agreed, there's really no reason for JJJ to be on there..if you're counting Spider-slayers, those were just lame. Kraven certainly isn't one of the worst, nor is the SA Doc Ock (however you could make a case for him being bad now).

Brian

And I can think of much worse Spidey villains.

You missed the Grizzly and the Kangaroo. grin.gif

I have to agree here with other posters that have suggested that Wizard's list (not for the first time) reaks of a current 'whats hot and whats not chart'.

But whatever you have against Wizard, they certainly throw up some controversial/ debate worthy material.

At least they held themselves back (based on current trends) and kept Daredevil's rogues off the list. blush.gifgrin.gif

Doc Samson should be on the Hulk's best list.

And what's wrong with Kang?

Those Flash villains are all pretty bad if you ask me.

Come to think of it, wtf are Sandman and Electro doing above Kraven???

IMHO Kraven the Hunter is one of Spideys best ever villains, he just kept coming back for more every time Spidey beat him.

Yeah, the Kingpin is a glaring omission.

Oh yeah - during my SA days Kingpin stuck out more than any other villain - I think because of the humanity. Now I have not read an ASM in well over 15 years but I think I remember his wife's name was Vanessa??? If that is correct - well - obviously he made an impact! grin.gif

The guy had style - I remmeber reading some of the Kingpin-Spiderman conversations and was really impressed. I have to ask. Were the early Kingpins written by the same writer?

Okay, just wondering why he wasn't on any list because even I've heard of him (always in association with the words "really lame villain"). I just had no idea whose villain he was. Or what made him lame (other than the name).

I have to ask. Were the early Kingpins written by the same writer?

All the early Kingpin stories were written by Stan 'the man' Lee and illustrated bt John Romita Sr.. And yes pov, you are correct the Kingpin's wife was named Vanessa. She has appeared in recent issues of Daredevil. May even be in the DD flick???

Joanna, Paste Pot Pete was renamed the Trapster and was an FF villain. He was a member of the Frightful Four and was VERY lame. You will note that the Frightful Four were named in the worst villains in the Fantastic Four section of the list.