• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batpac Specials

13 posts in this topic

I would imagine that is a case of the individuals being worth more than the whole. The Batman 181 makes that set. I have a rare pac myself, but it doesnt' have a key book.

If you plan to keep it, keep it in the pac, if you ever sell it, remove, press and slab that book...if you dont your buyer will.

To answer your question, I don't think they are rare, I have seen quite a few over the years. There will probably be fewer now that the 181 has really skyrocketed.

Anybody know how rare these are or how many were produced? This is B-6.

That pac looks as if it has a cardboard header card. The ones with the cardboard header cards are more prized than the all-cellophane ones.

Here's a thread I started on the subject last November:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=16&Number=6151325&Searchpage=1&Main=278063&Words=Comicpac+Hepcat&topic=0&Search=true#Post6151325

I have a rare pac myself, but it doesnt' have a key book.

Is it from 1962? If so, which is it? I'm guessing yours may contain a Sugar and Spike issue. I'd love to find one containing a Fox and the Crow issue.

The ones issued in 1966-67 are easily ten times more common than the ones issued in 1962 when DC did it for the first time.

???

Edited by Hepcat

Anybody know how rare these are or how many were produced? This is B-6.

That pac looks as if it has a cardboard header card. The ones with the cardboard header cards are more prized than the all-cellophane ones.

Here's a thread I started on the subject last November:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=16&Number=6151325&Searchpage=1&Main=278063&Words=Comicpac+Hepcat&topic=0&Search=true#Post6151325

I have a rare pac myself, but it doesnt' have a key book.

Is it from 1962? If so, which is it? I'm guessing yours may contain a Sugar and Spike issue. I'd love to find one containing a Fox and the Crow issue.

The ones issued in 1966-67 are easily ten times more common than the ones issued in 1962 when DC did it for the first time.

???

The 1967 ones were quite prevalent in the Ottawa, Ontario area. I remember the packaging being plastic not cellophane and I don't remember a cardboard header. I clearly remember Batmans in the late 180s early 190s (especially 190!) being featured.

I didn't find the mere 1 cent saving to be any enticement to buy as it could take some time to find the 6 empty bottles required to buy even 1 comic book let alone finding enough bottles for a 4 pack. Besides there was no sense getting stuck with a title or two that you didn't read...money was tight so I was very selective on what my 12 cents was spent...

I think a major part of the reason behind the "value" packs is that DC and other comic publishers were getting push back from the major chain retailers with respect to securing shelf space on magazine racks for twelve cent magazines. A $0.59 price point was more attractive to supermarkets, K-Mart, Woolco, etc. Moreover I think the bags were designed to be hung from pegs at checkout counters, thus being the classic impulse purchase where mothers would make the final decision.

:preach: