• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rawhide Kid #17 Club
2 2

145 posts in this topic

One of the few times YOU can say that to me. lol. No membership in this club Kevin? Your not into the Western stuff?

lol I loved calling you a hoarder bro.

I do like the western stuff, just no very common in the UK, I do have some but not this issue :(

One of the few times YOU can say that to me. lol. No membership in this club Kevin? Your not into the Western stuff?

lol I loved calling you a hoarder bro.

I do like the western stuff, just no very common in the UK, I do have some but not this issue :(

lol Wow you don't have a Marvel key....I am shocked! Quit buying those modern SS comics lol and get in the Rawhide Kid 17 club! :headbang:

Just scanned my copy and went looking for the club but since one doesn't exist figured I'd just create one.

Who else has a membership copy?

bFbfKoU.jpg

Ignorant question: What makes this book memorable? hm

Nice...I am not sure....other people are better with those facts them I am.

This is a KEY book. Some people may say its not...because they are not interested in westerns. I thought this book was a key Marvel before I ever owned one. It's the line in the sand when they stopped being Atlas and started being Marvel for this title anyway. :cloud9:

It's the beginning of Kirby's run, a new origin and overhaul of the title.

It marks the transition from Maneely, Atlas-type stories to Marvel Age stories for me.

And as I said, I'm fairly certain that this is Kirby's first Marvel (not Timely) continuing character.

This is THE silver age western key!

It's the beginning of Kirby's run, a new origin and overhaul of the title.

It marks the transition from Maneely, Atlas-type stories to Marvel Age stories for me.

And as I said, I'm fairly certain that this is Kirby's first Marvel (not Timely) continuing character.

It should also be mentioned that though the title and numbering continue from the Atlas version, this book came after a 3 year hiatus and features a different Rawhide Kid and alter-ego, and as such was as much an original Marvel title as Sgt. Fury.

While The Rawhide Kid was never as thoroughly integrated into the Marvel Universe as Fury, or even The Two-Gun Kid, it is without a doubt a key Marvel book for those that look beyond the company's super-hero output.

I have actually heard it described/referred to as the AF#15 of Westerns.

I know, perhaps that's going too far but I like the sound of it. :grin:

You take it too far, sir!!! :)

Actually, RK #17 is more like the FF #4 of the Silver Age, as a pre-silver age hero is re-defined by Kirby (ala the Sub-Mariner) for the Marvel age of comics.

...and I've seen tons of AF #15 copies floating all over the internet and at cons...one does not see a RK #17 as often.