• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rawhide Kid #17 Club
2 2

145 posts in this topic

I just read your post Phampton....well said! This comic should have a much bigger following! :applause:

Agreed! I just read Phampton's post today. Excellent points.

In my opinion, the only book that predates RK17 in importance to Marvel's SA history is "Strange Worlds #1," which is the first book that Stan Lee & Jack Kirby worked on together. It also featured the work of Ditko. It marked Jack Kirby's return to Marvel and started a 2 year run of SciFi, Monster, Western, & Teen Romance comics that were the precursor to the Superhero SA books.

Hey Folks:

First, wanted to say Thanks for the kind comments.

Brian, while I agree with you that Strange Worlds #1 is an important and key book, I don't share your conclusion. That was an anthology series.

My whole point was that Rawhide Kid #17 is Kirby and Lee's first conscious joint venture on a book's featured title character, opening up potential for plot and/or character development on an indefinite basis, and fostering/ inviting reader participation in that ongoing process. The first, but not the last.

And while we still have the Hulk, Spidey, the FF and the rest, all of the anthology titles-- Strange Tales, TOS, JIM, TTA, etc.-- have all (quite sadly, and alas!) gone on to take their well-earned place in that Eternal and Unending Tale of Glory in the Sky. For better or for worse, they live on today only in our memory.

Thank you--

Strange Worlds 1 is a great book, but it hit the stands at the same time as Tales To Astonish 1 and Tales Of Suspense 1. It just had a different cover date.

The CGC labels show SW1 as 12/58, while ToS1 and TtA1 are 1/59?

Those are the cover dates, which told the seller when to pull the book for return. The 3 comics hit the stands the same month, as I understand it. All released Sept. 2nd, 1958.

Edited by KirbyJack

Strange Worlds 1 is a great book, but it hit the stands at the same time as Tales To Astonish 1 and Tales Of Suspense 1. It just had a different cover date.

The CGC labels show SW1 as 12/58, while ToS1 and TtA1 are 1/59?

Those are the cover dates, which told the seller when to pull the book for return. The 3 comics hit the stands the same month, as I understand it. All released Sept. 2nd, 1958.

Very interesting.

Is this club still going? Hope so. Here's my recently acquired cents copy - just waiting now for a pence one :smile:

59cd3554e7b03_RHK17@150.thumb.jpg.b78267737347e63b1ab800577d5bb37b.jpg

9 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Great key book ! the price of this western has been on fire......

Cheers Craig! It wasn't the cheapest book I've ever bought, but I'm hoping the pence copy will offset the overall outlay. The things we do in the name of research.....

On 28/09/2017 at 11:49 PM, KirbyJack said:

Yes, this club is still going!

Thanks for bumping it! Nice copy of a hugely underrated key comic! 

Cheers @KirbyJack :)

I received a pence copy in the post this morning so I now have both!

If you're interested, take a look at my thread here for some info regarding distribution in the UK. Lot's of nice scans in there:

17p.thumb.jpg.329d1a9eb11946065726628506a824b2.jpg

17c.thumb.jpg.76ab775e430a7385e880cb50c537240d.jpg

On 03/10/2017 at 11:31 PM, Lucky Baru said:

Golf clap on the 2 Rawhide Kid copies.

I've never heard that expression before, so looked it up - Google says:

(plural golf claps) A sarcastic or humorous form of applause performed by lightly and rapidly clapping the fingers of one hand against the palm of the other, used to show indifference or disdain.   

So does that mean you think my two RHK's suck @Lucky Baru?