• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What were your favorite GA Comic Book advertisements?
2 2

83 posts in this topic

this is proof that someone had the problem and sent away for the product... :grin:

I can't believe it took 4 days for this one to show up. lol

That was on the back cover of one of the first high grade Timely books I ever bought. "Man this is a nice book......... ew." lol

As a Silver Age brat, I sent away for the Revolutionary War soldier set, and the Vick Lawston magic catalog. I wanted the kid-sized submarine, but no luck on that one! :)

This has probably come up here before, but one or two pics of the infamous "Polaris Nuclear Sub" from the Silver Age have surfaced in recent years.

submariner.jpg

I still want one of those! I can still remember dreaming of owning one as a kid.

I always loved this one:

P00006_thumb.jpg

lol they give you a monkey?! That's amazing, maybe illegal also. Does anyone know if this was true? I know those adds we're exaggerated back then but still... I want a monkey. Train it to grade my comics.

The picture is small, but five Cs could be Cactus, Chair, Carpet, Cage, Cat (I think that might be a cat on the chair) Can't tell what the thing is on the bottom right, but probably another C word. Did they have different puzzles over time or is this a one shot deal?

One wonders if these girdle ads were targeted toward girls or adolescent boys.

24496350-edd.jpg

This ad seems to place too much emphasis on a "hide-a-way" detachable crotch (snaps in-snaps out!) and it's also a convertible!

Possible subliminal imagery in the color and shape of the "introductory sale" logo?

24496346-68c.jpg

Girdles for men with the masculine name of Commander!

24496349-435.jpg

A girdle for the Blimp Man makes him desirable by other women and makes his son proud!

24496682-47c.jpg

Girdles with action-ized construction for young boys too! Kirby-esque artwork by Mort Meskin & Joe Simon.

24496641-da3.jpg

Your friends won't be able to see your face with this invisible helmet but everyone will know you are a Super Space Cadet!

(Nobody, but nobody will able to recognize you when you wear this amazing invisible helmet.)

24496366-9d2.jpg

This ad is almost as scary as the horror comics. Buy the hair formula before it's too late!

24496643-9bf.jpg

I find this letter published from the Secretary of the US Treasury to be an interesting ad.

image_zpsc9c2459f.jpg

Which Planet is this one in? It's very similar to the letter that ran on the cover of some Dells in July 1945 (and quite a few other magazines as well):

wdcs58_front.jpg

Incidentally - great idea for a thread Marty. (thumbs u

For me, the favorite has to be any of the Kooba Cola(with Vitamin B1) ads that appeared for years in Fox comics. What magnificent nuttiness to use dozens(perhaps hundreds) of valuable ad pages to push a product that doesn't exist. Even as the company is going down the tubes(perhaps due to the low quality art which was all he could afford), Victor is still printing lists of prizes that can be redeemed for sending imaginary bottle caps.

Such insanity should and must be applauded.

First I've heard of this particular brand of Golden Age insanity - and it truly is nutty.

Linky-poo

Oh, and Welcome To The Boards Sam :applause:

I'll try to find something to contribute. There were some weird ads in Oz.

I came across this ancient ad in the rare Nelvana (Canadian) reprint comic book... 

edited-image_zps1i9trx1u.jpg.3a77f89ab3810f5d193c8a04d7c380b1.jpg

...supposedly distributed to one isolated outpost somewhere in the Klondike!  :cry:

f18935e6-3f6b-4821-b5b4-c21034d5b334_zps

On the plus side, it was really cool having had an ad published in a GA comic book. :preach:

:tink:  Hey, I'm a beer mug half-full kinda guy!  (thumbsu

Edited by Cat-Man_America
There's always a "more ale" to the story!