• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First appearance of the Smurfs.

50 posts in this topic

I wonder what the first "English" appearance is???

hm

I'm not 100% sure about this but the original album (Johan and Peewit - The Smurfs and the Magic Flute) was first published in English in 1979... but the Smurfs starred in their own mini strips in the UK's Look-in Magazine in the mid-70's.

As the Smurfs quickly outgrew their humble beginnings as bit-parters in the Johan and Peewit albums and became much more successful on their own.

Interesting. So who wants to translate those pages? (Or just post an English version?)
Papercutz released several Smurfs albums in English, including the story we see (in part) in Spirou 1071. I've seen them in many bookstores, usually in the juvenile section with the Bone color editions.

That is awesome – the Smurfs are a great comic. The cartoon is just a byproduct.

Part of the problem, from the American perspective, is that the European comics are something like Sunday comics, with a one or two page installment in each issue. In this case, the Smurfs appear in the middle of a much longer story. The two pages in 1071 are out of context, but they do make a very clear appearance of Smurfs, Papa Smurf and even the Smurf village.

Not necessarily, it depends on the country, and on how the stories and the characters appear first. Many publications were antologies, but so were many Golden Age early comic books (even Detective and Action, for example).

It is also true that collecting follows the same "blind" rules even here: often an album collecting for the first time a story appeared on a journal, has a lot more value.

The Smurf example is not explanatory: we should see how much the first editions of hardbound volumes are valued. But we should also see for how much the earliest Petit Vingtième issues featuring Tintin go in the French market. Surely they are not cheap… :)

Then the absolute scale value: you won’t find many $50000+ books in Europe (or at least in Italy). Even the most expensive single books can barely go for ten thousands.

I wonder what the first "English" appearance is???

hm

I'm not 100% sure about this but the original album (Johan and Peewit - The Smurfs and the Magic Flute) was first published in English in 1979...

I think my King Smurf book pre-dates that.

Absolutely no real market for this but I think it is a very cool piece of pop culture and I am very pleased to add it to my collection.

1958, Spirou No. 1071.

Very nice! Do you plan to do a run? You can't just have one lonely Smurf... :baiting:

I have one more issue (1072) on the way.

That would be their first cover appearance.

After that I will probably only collect for specific covers that grab my attention.

I bought this issue from the seller. I'm not fond of ebay and have never had to do a translated transaction before.

Yikes! I'm going to hope for the best!

I bought this issue from the seller. I'm not fond of ebay and have never had to do a translated transaction before.

Yikes! I'm going to hope for the best!

You'll be alright. Congrats on the purchase (thumbs u

I didn't even know the Smurfs got their start in comics. Very cool!

The Smurfs are a comic. The cartoons have been realized for kids, but the Smurfs is a high quality comic, with lots of social commentary, not famous as Tintin, Alix or Blake & Mortimer but nonetheless a milestone here.

I didn't even know the Smurfs got their start in comics. Very cool!

The Smurfs are a comic. The cartoons have been realized for kids, but the Smurfs is a high quality comic, with lots of social commentary, not famous as Tintin, Alix or Blake & Mortimer but nonetheless a milestone here.

One of my earliest comics was King Smurf that my mom picked up at Pic & Save for me when I was about four. I loved it as a child right up to the time I quit comics at about age 12. As I got older I read through it multiple times, and thought it was a surprisingly good story. When I got back into comics I read it again just to see if it held up, and it did. It was the only Smurf comic I had read that entire time though. I just recently bought the Smurfs Anthology and it's great, I can't wait for volume two.