• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern 1980- comics - CGC 9.8 only for keepers?

12 posts in this topic

I've only just started collecting graded comics, and i've so far stuck to 9.8 graded CGC/CGG comics:

Web of Spider-man #1 CGG 9.8 W

Amazing Spider-man #252 CGC 9.8 OW-W

Amazing Spider-man #298 CGC 9.8 W

Marvel Secret Wars #8 CGC 9.8 W

(As you can see I like the Black Costume smile.gif)

My current target is the Amazing Spider-man #300, but CGC 9.8s usually go for $600+ which is bit too much for me at the moment, so how do people generally feel about CGC 9.6s? I could afford $300 or so for a good 9.6 with White pages, but would it be worth it for future investment?

So to sum up, is it worth keeping 9.6s for investments for modern comics, or should I always pay the extra for 9.8 all the way?? confused.gif

Ta smile.gif

For select moderns such as ASM #300, there's nothing wrong with a 9.6 which itself, sells between $250 and $300. Another example is the Punisher Limited Series with the Mike Zeck covers. Nothing wrong with those in 9.6. I prefer 9.8's as well but am also completely satisfied owning the examples above in 9.6's. Personally, I'd stay away from the 9.6 Off-Whites.

I definitely agree here. ASM 300 in 9.6 is a great book and above "nm" still, so why pay double for a 9.8 when you know everytime the survey is updated there seems to be more and more of each. Not to mention that a 9.6 is tied for 72nd best graded copy, which is no slouch imo.

I think 9.6's are actually better investments in many cases. The prices dont have as far to fall if the modern HG bubble pops.

I personally stay way from any cgc book above 9.6 as the asking prices become stupid. Expecially in the copper age. Weren't books printed in 150,000 - 1,000,000 range? Surely someone is going to have a case of these and the value will plumet. But each collector is different. thumbsup2.gif

I personally stay way from any cgc book above 9.6 as the asking prices become stupid. Expecially in the copper age. Weren't books printed in 150,000 - 1,000,000 range? Surely someone is going to have a case of these and the value will plumet. But each collector is different. thumbsup2.gif

I`ll have to agree with 25cent here.While I would love to own some 9.6 or higher graded books,to me the extra $$ is not worth it. Hard for me to tell the difference between the 9.4-9.8 to be honest.

IMO, CGC is usually accurate and consistent in grading 9.8's, but their grading in the 9.6 range is sloppy and all over the place.

I have 9.6's that I submitted to CGC that look like 9.8's, and I have 9.6's I have purchased off Ebay that look like 9.2's or 9.4's. confused-smiley-013.gif

And don't even get me started on "Slab Damage" "SCS" or whatever it's being called today. poke2.gif

Did you miss the thread on the CPG boards re the Avengers #500 Director's Cut CGC 9.8? foreheadslap.gif

IMO, CGC is usually accurate and consistent in grading 9.8's, but their grading in the 9.6 range is sloppy and all over the place.

I have 9.6's that I submitted to CGC that look like 9.8's, and I have 9.6's I have purchased off Ebay that look like 9.2's or 9.4's. confused-smiley-013.gif

And don't even get me started on "Slab Damage" "SCS" or whatever it's being called today. poke2.gif