• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Happy Belated One Year Anniversary CGC Comics Board

93 posts in this topic

Dim sum Bronty may have been 1 of the 1st 20 forum members. Those were the days when u would check the board every 2nd day to see if anyone responded yet. Now ppl reply within 2 minutes.

Some of the hi-lights or low lights from 2002 forum include:

1. greggy being put in the penalty box at the same time as rickdogg, hammer/meth

2. butter pedigree

3. chicken little. Crash? What crash?

4. Heritage inside staff bidding against u above the hidden reserve price. frown.gif

5. JP smashes all comic & comic art buying & sales records in the same year.

There's been some wild scams caught on eBay since the Board.

I remember the one with the guy selling books graded 9.5 .

A lot of good info comes up around here. Tape debates. Display debates. Modern comic paper debates. You name it, its been talked about. This is a great board to find out stuff about comics.

Highlights:

Meth's 'how to' guide for opening a cgc holder without damage. shocked.gif

CI's now infamous 'nazi' rant at Jens. shocked.gif

Some very helpful/interesting comic info shared throughout the year.

Rickdogg & Bonds25 regular scambusting activities.

All the 'crash' threads.

Lowlights:

Continual 'highjacking' of interesting threads with pointless banter.

Certain nameless individuals constant trolling of the boards.

All the 'crash' threads.

Long may it all continue. laugh.gif

I remember the one with the guy selling books graded 9.5

i do believe that was a hulk 181 being sold by a scammer in SF...greenhulk? i also remember clicking on the forums when i was checking out the CGC census back in february or march. i remember FF was whining over cover transperancy on the X-Men 1 in the CGC gallery, tongue.gif there was 2 or 3 pages back then,shocked.gif but i didn't reg till July. grin.gif

How about we name the top 10 most memorable moments of this forum

On a personal level it is the day I was told to check out this forum and I did. Early on one of my posts got misconstrued and some lively (to be nice) conversation (to be gentle) ensued. I think I sweated off 10 pounds in replies. But even in the thick of it...always great fun! I mean, we have GA, SA, BA, MA and Underground folks here (and maybe some PA as well?) with a tremendous wealth of knowledge.

On an objective level...well, will not mention specific threads but, in no order:

10) Discussions of GCG grade concepts

9) The Great First BA Book debate

8) The grading posts - "What grade is this?" I don't often contribute but really enjoy them.

7) Discussions of restoration

6) The ocassional admonitions from Arch that we should cool it, calm down, knock it off or otherwise display a measure of restraint.

5) The infrequent but always amusing moments when someone has apparantly mixed the wrong prescriptions and suddenly posts from the 117th Gerolin of Samnac (don't ask me what that means) appear.

4) Comic book storage discussions

3) Viewing scans of prize items in our collections

2) Getting the skinny, the sitch, the sly, the stone, the hoot on ebay scammers

1) Finding posts on topics you thought you would never find that really hit home for what you wanted to find.

Let's not forget the infamous procrustean scan stealing scandal...

The Meth/supapimp war...

the caveman spearchucking game....

shuley beating up gman and making him bleed all over his hardwood floors...

Thats all I can remember in my novacaine induced haze....rootcanals suck...

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

In no particular order

1. Great 1st Bronze Age Book Debate

2. Bug- BoC Graemlin War

3. "Cleaned & Pressed Is the Way to Go!"

4. Christmas Day Massacre

5. Edgar Church rants

6. "Boolean"

7. Cover scans one-upmanship

8. How to spot restoration

9. The Coming Market Crash

10. Joanna's Sensation-al Comics Summaries

I just reviewed many of the threads mentioned that I saved for posterity. Most have been unceremoniously deleted from the Forum and hurled into the pits of the Penalty box. By far, my vote for most memorable moments, events, whatever, is an easy choice!! What other thread was responsible for so many members being thrown into the Penalty Box at the same time!! This thread had it ALL!!! In my estimation, by a wide margin, the best of the "beast" was "the X-Mas Day Massacre", when for once, the Spirit of X-mas and good fellowship, chained to the bumper of a vehicle driven by no less than a dozen Forum members, was dragged through the dirt and given an indecent burial, until Arch got wind of what was going on and called an abrupt halt to the ensuing "festivities", by pulling the plug on a bunch of angry participants.

The X-mas Day Massacre has become a legend...or is it an "urban legend"? If you saved the thread or if anyone has the juicy details, PM me as I wasn't around!

And why has no one mentioned Jens alter-ego thread(s)...those were totally bizarro.