• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have you guys seen the Phillippine variants?
5 5

419 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, ganni said:

Copper age.  1990

robocop2b.jpg

I'm not seeing any cover / back cover differences to the US version myself Ganni - is it the indicia that gives it away? It's too blurry to make anything out hm 

6 hours ago, androolx said:

@Get Marwood & I you can add Incredible Hulk 195.  This is for sale on eBay.  I love the blank bar!

There's a #199 in the same lot Androolx, thanks :headbang:

The missing #195 banner (heh, heh - Hulk) is indeed cool. Gives it a very unfinished look doesn't it. 

195-196-199-200.thumb.jpg.627b5a8dd0d343bfcf6180e571e28fa6.jpg

We only a need a Hulk #198 now to have the 'set' of seven consecutive issues. If that's what happened of course (bearing in mind the FF scenario).

The nice round 100 didn't last long did it - 102!

102.PNG.8e0ceda22a51bb29ccdde1b097c02ce8.PNG

55 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I'm not seeing any cover / back cover differences to the US version myself Ganni - is it the indicia that gives it away? It's too blurry to make anything out hm 

The credit itself is blurry/bad printing.  And the price is Php 50.00/brand new back 1990.  And the colors/paper quality is different.

4 hours ago, ganni said:

@Get Marwood & I Can't find #84-85 but they do exist I think.

im86a.jpg

Good man Ganni! :headbang:

103: 

103.PNG.ad7c84b2fe4510d8a645b66a05f0948f.PNG

Sooner or later someone will notice the intentional 'reprint' nomenclature on this and dive in.....  :taptaptap:

On 3/17/2021 at 4:18 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Good man Ganni! :headbang:

103: 

103.PNG.ad7c84b2fe4510d8a645b66a05f0948f.PNG

Sooner or later someone will notice the intentional 'reprint' nomenclature on this and dive in.....  :taptaptap:

Okay, I will bite.  Obviously a reprint. Not a variant (regardless of what CGC has labeled them).  They were published and printed by an entity other than Marvel.  The indicia explicit states they are reprints.  If, in comic book terminology, a "reprint" can be considered a "variant", then both words have no definite meaning.

Edited by androolx

In the Philippines, printing made at the same time/month are called reprints.  NBS marvel comics came out the same month as the original copies were available back in the bronze age.

Check the time release on the marvel star wars # 3.  Th Alemars  msw was only available at  Shakey's.  It was like Amazing Spiderman #184 All Detergent.

The original msw#3 date was Sept.  The Alemar's msw#3 Shakey's release date was Nov.8.  Time difference is due to processing.

sw alemars 2a.jpg

msw3c.jpg.402620f89eabb775a6daefc22429fbd9.jpg

Edited by ganni

18 hours ago, androolx said:

Okay, I will bite.  Obviously a reprint. Not a variant (regardless of what CGC has labeled them).  They were published and printed by an entity other than Marvel.  The indicia explicit states they are reprints.  If, in comic book terminology, a "reprint" can be considered a "variant", then both words have no definite meaning.

I was teasing a bit, androolx, based on a post I made elsewhere but I do like any debate about what these things should be called :bigsmile:

7 hours ago, ganni said:

In the Philippines, printing made at the same time/month are called reprints.  NBS marvel comics came out the same month as the original copies were available back in the bronze age.

NBS use the words 'published and reprinted' themselves of course, on their indicias. Taking this example Ganni, Avengers #146, are you saying that the NBS book was available to buy in the Philippines more or less at the same time as the US version hit the newsstands?

Apart from personal recollection, and for the Marvel NBS subset specifically (your Alemars details are noted), is there any direct evidence that this was the case?

664535742_146NBS.thumb.jpg.ae4fab3aeb72f88aa20cfbbc8ee17146.jpg479617801_146NBSi.thumb.jpg.ac2988f2eff3575714b1f58361e948a0.jpg

And, more importantly perhaps, why has the Scarlet Witch got a moustache in the Filipino copy?

On 3/10/2020 at 6:45 AM, rolandtiu said:

The Alemars printed comics that I have are mostly non-Marvel; Non-DC

IMG20200310212559.jpg

IMG20200310212612.jpg

IMG20200310212632.jpg

I collect Flash Gordon and these are some of the coolest foreign editions I've seen.  I really enjoy when there is alternate cover artwork like that white background copy on the left.  I'll have to add these to my "want" list now.  (thumbsu

1 minute ago, ganni said:

@Get Marwood & I The only proof as of now I guess is the Shakey's Alemar's MSW version.  And i do have copies of bronge age NBS version and original version binded together.

If you ever come across anything local, let us know. 

1 minute ago, ganni said:

And mustache i guess is the in thing at that time.:bigsmile:

mous.jpg.f68f6106428e570b3a82bf6ad8c16943.jpg

9 hours ago, ganni said:

Dates;)

wd377a.jpg

That's interesting Ganni, thanks. The indicia in this Gold Key reprint is not the usual faithful reproduction of the US original, with additional data to evidence the Filipino reprint status, that we see in the Marvel NBS reprints (as far as I can tell). The Gold Key example that I posted earlier follows the same pattern as this one - a rewritten indicia. Given that the Marvel NBS copies all seem to faithfully reproduce the original US indicias, could there be a difference between how each publisher was handled I wonder? Can we rely on those Marvel NBS indicia dates as reflecting the true Filipino dates too? hm

2 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Given that the Marvel NBS copies all seem to faithfully reproduce the original US indicias.....

Looks like I've got elements of this wrong, on closer inspection. Too focussed on what exists, and not what, specifically, is inside!

For Gold Key, the NBS examples that I have seen repeat the original US indicia details up to a point and then add an additional data line to show the different printing location. Here's my Donald Duck #169 NBS copy and an example of the the US original indicia for comparison:

1018260215_169NBS(March1976)IndiciaCrop.thumb.jpg.31c28fc1229fb93346ecef89316af818.jpg497104891_169USIndicia(March1976)Crop.jpg.c11a4d46b47d177b4791dcc85c083652.jpg

It's essentially the same US data with the printing location amended and additional Filipino dressing added.

Is it reasonable to assume that if the printers were prepared to amend the indicia, and retained the US publication date (March 1976 in this example), that that was the intended Filipino publication date?

Turning to Marvel, we see the same thing - the faithful reprinting of the indicia wording up to the point of 'Printed in the USA' which is, logically, replaced with the NBS printer details and dressing. Here's Thor #246 to illustrate:

341974971_246NBSiCrop.thumb.jpg.f0f6f69c07d78d73d6d488e49068ff50.jpg

1127699801_246USiCrop.thumb.jpg.f8e2c9b13da73c21d70a2a694b9ac1ea.jpg

I wonder if, for both publishers here, reprinting the US indicia date details was intentional, because that was the same intended date for publication in the Philippines - or 'accidental', because that aspect didn't matter to them. Only the printing location amendment / reprint wording was a legal requirement (I have examples of UK Price Variants with UK only indicias where a 'Printed in the USA' was hand stamped inside as it was removed - likely in error - when the US indicia was replaced with UK distribution details). 

Why would NBS leave in the US price and subscription details when they clearly would not apply to the Filipino readership? Is that an indication that they didn't even think about it and that, therefore, the dates may be wrong too?

What do we think? Is there enough evidence here to indicate that these NBS copies were available to purchase at the same time, more or less, as the US original books that they reprinted? Or does it remain inconclusive, in this thread? hm

On 3/19/2021 at 8:39 PM, ganni said:

Check the time release on the marvel star wars # 3.  Th Alemars  msw was only available at  Shakey's.  It was like Amazing Spiderman #184 All Detergent.

The original msw#3 date was Sept.  The Alemar's msw#3 Shakey's release date was Nov.8.  Time difference is due to processing.

sw alemars 2a.jpg

msw3c.jpg.402620f89eabb775a6daefc22429fbd9.jpg

One thing we need to remember regarding the timing of the printing of the Alemar's Star Wars is the actual date the US versions were printed and distributed. In 1977, Marvel comic books were printed and distributed roughly 3 months prior to the publication dated shown on the book. Thus, the US version of Star Wars 3, with a publication date of September, 1977,  was actually printed in about June, 1977 (I found a website which showed a publication date of June 7, 1977, but could not verify the footnote which gave the source of that date).  Acc. to the Shakey's sticker on the Star Wars 2 above, The Alemar's Star War 3 was available in November, 1977, or about 5 months after the book was printed and available in the US.

Yes, that is cool. There's clearly a lot to investigate here Ganni, with the Filipino reprints. I focussed on those Seventies Marvel NBS copies as I find them a particularly interesting subset, with more copies available to research than some of the other groupings and publishers. Aside of plotting the DC copies, I don't think I'll go any further if I'm honest. A six month investigative trip to the Philippines might do the trick but there's only so much you can achieve from your armchair in England. I did like those King Comic examples that were posted some pages back but it's hard enough finding the UK Price Variants of those, let alone reprints from the Philippines. Maybe you can keep the torch burning here while I return to my main area of focus (Charlton!).

@Get Marwood & I As of now, I'm good as long as graders label them as variants and Phil editions.  Graders knew that its not reprints all along.  Collectors may finally  notice the Shakey's promo Star wars Alemar's edition with the Shakey's sticker attached . Only at Shakey's the copies were available.  And Shakey's Pizza is a pizza restaurant chain based in the United States.

On 3/15/2021 at 5:23 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

There's a #199 in the same lot Androolx, thanks :headbang:

The missing #195 banner (heh, heh - Hulk) is indeed cool. Gives it a very unfinished look doesn't it. 

195-196-199-200.thumb.jpg.627b5a8dd0d343bfcf6180e571e28fa6.jpg

We only a need a Hulk #198 now to have the 'set' of seven consecutive issues. If that's what happened of course (bearing in mind the FF scenario).

The nice round 100 didn't last long did it - 102!

102.PNG.8e0ceda22a51bb29ccdde1b097c02ce8.PNG

Looks like you can add Cap 198 to the list.  This one is for sale on eBay

Screenshot_20210524-011244.png