• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have you guys seen the Phillippine variants?
5 5

419 posts in this topic

When did the Philippino bookstores started publishing these, and how long were they in business?

Any reprints done on F4, Hulk 181, CTB 1, TOD 1, Marvel Spotlight 5?

ummmm this is a toughie.... we think we have confirmation no 181 exists.... the TOD 1 we have thought might, we also think a bats 227, spidey 129, maybe even some DC..... like hos 92 or ASW 10? But we don't really have set parameters as far as dates.... nothing is concrete. Some collectors have confirmed the non-existence of the 181 which we trust for the most part.

The problem is there are no databases, there are no threads upon threads of info on these books on the Filipino comic boards, there are no contacts over there even that can give us more than bits and pieces of info.... (shrug)

It really is crazy how little info there is out there about these books. We have cold emailed LCS's looking for info, we have contacted the few sellers over there that sell on Ebay looking for more info or more books, we have even tried to get people that might be travelling to the Philippines to hunt for us? A contact of mine even put an ad in the paper requesting info and money for anything? Books, info, sources..... he did find me some books, but this was over a couple months almost a year.

Some books and little little little trickles of info...

Just the other day I contacted National Bookstore customer service to see if they could put me in contact with their records dept. or anyone that could possibly shed light on their publishing and licensing in the seventies? Run around and blew me off... im pushing harder but geeze.... :pullhair:

The other thing is... many of these books could be sitting in longboxes anywhere in the world being passed over because they look so similar to their American counterparts in many ways. hm

Edited by Define999

Actually its funny... I was bagging and boarding today and while I was doing so I had forgotten about a 2 book set I kinda stumbled into recently...

I had bought the National Bookstore WF 211 with a group of books from my contact in the Philippines. And, I had bought the Arabic WF 211 in another lot from Saudi Arabia.

I can confidently say this is the first time these 2 rare foreign versions have probably ever been photographed together. I can also say with 99% certainty that this is first time these 2 foreign types have ever been in the same room on planet earth! lol Ok maybe im exaggerating but trust me... WF 211 isn't necessarily a key book but its a cool cover and putting these 2 books together is super cool to me. :cloud9:

pic_new.jpg

When did the Philippino bookstores started publishing these, and how long were they in business?

ummmm this is a toughie.... we think we have confirmation no 181 exists.... the TOD 1 we have thought might, we also think a bats 227, spidey 129, maybe even some DC..... like hos 92 or ASW 10? But we don't really have set parameters as far as dates.... nothing is concrete. Some collectors have confirmed the non-existence of the 181 which we trust for the most part.

The problem is there are no databases, there are no threads upon threads of info on these books on the Filipino comic boards, there are no contacts over there even that can give us more than bits and pieces of info.... (shrug)

It really is crazy how little info there is out there about these books. We have cold emailed LCS's looking for info, we have contacted the few sellers over there that sell on Ebay looking for more info or more books, we have even tried to get people that might be travelling to the Philippines to hunt for us? A contact of mine even put an ad in the paper requesting info and money for anything? Books, info, sources..... he did find me some books, but this was over a couple months almost a year.

Just the other day I contacted National Bookstore customer service to see if they could put me in contact with their records dept. or anyone that could possibly shed light on their publishing and licensing in the seventies? Run around and blew me off... im pushing harder but geeze.... :pullhair:

The other thing is... many of these books could be sitting in longboxes anywhere in the world being passed over because they look so similar to their American counterparts in many ways. hm

No end to such pursuits if you want to hunt down international reprints. I have also come across very nice foreign language reprint editions of LSH and even Neal Adams GL/GA , think it might have been from Hong Kong/China or Malaysia. I just flipped thru it and never bought any, though on hindsight memory, the pages were of more durable type. Judging from these boards, I think the Adams Batman versions would be very much sought after by collectors here.

No end to such pursuits if you want to hunt down international reprints. I have also come across very nice foreign language reprint editions of LSH and even Neal Adams GL/GA , think it might have been from Hong Kong/China or Malaysia. I just flipped thru it and never bought any, though on hindsight memory, the pages were of more durable type. Judging from these boards, I think the Adams Batman versions would be very much sought after by collectors here.

Foreign Adams & Wrightson books are my main focus. There's more foreign Adams goodness here than you can probably imagine. :gossip:

Foreign Adams & Wrightson books are my main focus. There's more foreign Adams goodness here than you can probably imagine. :gossip:

Word of advice OveraboundingMint..... speaking Adams and Asian books in the same sentence could very well drive our friend here LSC ABSOLUTELY CRAZY! :screwy:

Thats fun for everyone to see but Im the one that has to deal with the dude on a daily basis... :roflmao:

Id like to see what else you got OverboundingMint in foreign books? Post some scans bro! :gossip:

Speaking bout pursuits.... in the foreign variant niche its called the "hunt" and I am def no stranger to it. The hunt is its own journey and reward. The inability to just find the money from somewhere and buy whatever in whatever grade you want is something many new foreign hunters have to struggle to get used to..... But the payoff is immense! :gossip: And I wont even bring up high grade snobbery in the foreign game. Basically you cant be one... (shrug)

We have another moniker we use at times. Books like the Spidey 129 Filipino can be called "white buffalos" or "monsters". Like white buffalos of indian legend sometimes they can be glimpsed, or you hear stories of their existence. And you dedicate your life to hunting the creature down. Now excuse me for waxing philosophical for a bit.... but just like in the case of the white buffalo's death when the hunter is in his paramount joy and glory. Inside the hunter weeps for the creature he destroyed... for it will walk no more in legend, and has become only a bleeding carcass. Often times after you have spent years hunting for a a book, a kind of sadness comes over you after the initial high of adding that book to your collection. The "hunt" is what drives many foreign peeps like myself.... without the "hunt" we mourn a little.... so it drives us ontu more hunts and more adventures.... :gossip:

I sometimes call the foreign variant niche a sickness.... and many of us are very very sick. When the day comes that I complete my Spidey 129 foreign set? Lets say its gonna be a very sad day indeed.... :sorry:

I gotta give props to Chesperito.... he was the first to tell me to calm down and take it easy.... the hunt takes time and patience. And their is no greater hunter in this game then that guy up there! (thumbs u

The Philippines is like an archipelago full of white buffalos.... If I had the money, I would travel to the islands for a vacation whose sole purpose was finding these rare books!

Edited by Define999

I gotta give props to Chesperito.... he was the first to tell me to calm down and take it easy.... the hunt takes time and patience. And their is no greater hunter in this game then that guy up there! (thumbs u

It’s "Chespirito"! :makepoint:

Im a horrible speller... doh! I have just come to accept it.....

That Avengers book is mine.

:o:o:o

Wow ... Do you have more? Where did you acquire this one from?

I got it from New Dimensions Comics at a show in Pittsburgh.

Interestingly enough, some of the best conditioned FIlipino books have a tendency to reside in America. Many of us think thats because the Filipino books that escaped the 100% humidity of the islands have a better chance of surviving in better condition. How many ultra rare Filipino books are sitting in longbox's here in the states with owners that don't relize what they have? Who knows? (shrug)

Just imagine what can be available form this NB house ad. This is on the inside of my NB Tarzan. Could a HOS 92 exist? This house ad tells me its possible.... A New Gods #1? Forever people #1 and first full Darkseid? all possible....

NBinside_ad.jpg

Edited by Define999

Just imagine what can be available form this NB house ad. This is on the inside of my NB Tarzan. Could a HOS 92 exist? This house ad tells me its possible.... A New Gods #1? Forever people #1 and first full Darkseid? all possible....

NBinside_ad.jpg

HoS 88 & 94 :wishluck:

NBinside_ad.jpg

HoS 88 & 94 :wishluck:

If anyone can find them Hector, it be you senor... :gossip:

Here is some more info on these editions.

(full size)

Action 441 -The cover has a circle for price but it is blank.

The back cover ad lists an ad for what seems to be

Philipino & English editions of Classics Illustrated Juniors.

Numbers are 301 - 364 but they do not seem to be in the

same order as the CI juniors.

BM South East Asia #32 Feb 61 (the copy I had was coverless).

Detective South East Asia 29 Jan 61 (Cover "The Raven & the Wasp")

Superman South East Asia 20 Jan 1960 (also coverless)

The above 4 issues are ones I am sending to a friend.

- - -

The following ones I still have if anyone is interested.

(full size)

Korak 40. Price 20c. Indicia reprints the DC indicia with

reprint info below. Has the house ad shown above.

Tarzan 228. Price circle has "Sale P1.75" as overprint

Unexpected 174. No price on front cover; has UPC box and

Comic Code authority stamp. Indicia reprints the DC indicia with

reprint info below.

(miniature about 7.5" high)

Adventure 22. Indicia is Adventure 266 July 1961. Black & white guts.

This one has a "Sworn Statement" for the "Republic of the Philippines"

It says that the number of copies "sent to paid subscribers 48,721" and

"Sent to others than paid subscribers 635" for a total print run of

49,356. This is for the last issue in March 1961.

Based on the "Statement" given above here, I suspect these may not

have been sold as returnable (as in the US) so stores would order

the number of copies they thought they could sell. That way, almost all

sales could be counted as "subscription copies" and the non-subscription

copies would be the ones going to the chain of stores that were

responsible for publishing these American reprints. There seems to

be no indication as to printer/publisher for this item. There are local

ads but they just give a phone number. The back cover ad is for

the Manilla Chronicle.

Hope you find this info useful.

Wasn't there a Star Wars #1 from the Phillipines? If I recall the cover looked almost identical to the US version, but the box that reads "Enter: Luke Skywalker! Will He Save the Galaxy-- Or Destroy It?" was a different color. (I'm thinking yellow, but it has been a few years since I've seen the picture of this comic.) I thought at the time there was mention of these issues being printed for the US servicemen.

Wasn't there a Star Wars #1 from the Phillipines? If I recall the cover looked almost identical to the US version, but the box that reads "Enter: Luke Skywalker! Will He Save the Galaxy-- Or Destroy It?" was a different color. (I'm thinking yellow, but it has been a few years since I've seen the picture of this comic.) I thought at the time there was mention of these issues being printed for the US servicemen.

Okay, just did a search on the internet and found it:

http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/LiveData/Issue.aspx?id=f11cadb0-ee45-4ab8-bd1f-e73ec42fd775

Very similar to the Micronauts issue. The box is different, just not yellow as I had thought. Instead, some of the words are highlighted in black in that box. The "National Bookstore Philippines (PAPI) Edition".