• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have you guys seen the Phillippine variants?
5 5

419 posts in this topic

I was on eBay and I ran across these Italian and Mexican variants of spider-man called Hombre Arana and L’uomo Ragno? 

Just wondering if you guys have heard of them or know anything about them. I can’t believe I’ve never seen them before. The asm 300 copies going for a lot on eBay.

12 hours ago, jmt999 said:

I was on eBay and I ran across these Italian and Mexican variants of spider-man called Hombre Arana and L’uomo Ragno? 

Just wondering if you guys have heard of them or know anything about them. I can’t believe I’ve never seen them before. The asm 300 copies going for a lot on eBay.

On 11/22/2020 at 2:07 AM, ganni said:

Nice copy.  What really nice is that it is consider as "variant", not reprints.

Hello Ganni, and welcome to the boards. I do like a comic from the Philippines and have enjoyed looking at your recent examples.  Your posts prompted me to re-read the whole thread and it was interesting to see a respectful debate about the naming conventions - the reprint vs variant discussion. I wish I was around at the time to contribute but it seems that all the participants have moved on. I have tried to kick start the discussion in some of my own threads but to no avail. 

I found Define99's contributions especially interesting, fighting against the tide of popular opinion. I think it would be nice to revisit the debate, but I think the few here that remain who may be interested have perhaps made up their minds and consider the matter closed. 

Anyway, thanks again for posting those further examples. I view them as reprints myself, but I find them to be rather magical and place the fact that they exist in the first instance, and the exploration of what may exist overall, of far higher importance than any discussion around what they should be called. 

Again, welcome, and don't be put off by the lack of reactions - those that enjoy non-US original comic material are thin on the ground on this forum, but we are here :headbang:

1 hour ago, ganni said:

Thanks Get.  When my friend showed me a  copy graded,  I finally decided to have all my philippine collection to be graded.

xmen 101 national bookstore variant c1.jpg

Get :grin: I like that. 

The comic does look nice Ganni doesn't it. As I said earlier, it would be a great discussion point I think, the merits of CGC calling that a 'Marvel Comic' and dating it 10/76 when it was not produced by Marvel and was not produced in October 1976. And, of course, we can debate the merits of calling it a 'National Bookstore Variant' too.

But that doesn't take away from how cool the book is, and how nice a thing the CGC slab can be as a presentation vehicle when it is free from the many production issues that can detract from it when present. 

Are you from the Philippines yourself Ganni? What do you think about how the books should be labelled by CGC?

To further illustrate, here is a rather nice high grade copy of a book that I gave away in a competition - I forget to whom now - not long after I joined the forum:

108philippine.thumb.jpg.453499071dc1144fc746656f5a95d370.jpg 108philippineb.thumb.jpg.7965bbc6d0d73e0edc5cbfc2715ca588.jpg

I wonder how CGC would label this one?

If they followed your X-Men example they would likely call it 'The Amazing Spider-Man' #108, from Marvel Comics and date it as May 1972.

And yet it doesn't have #108 on the cover, and its indicia clearly states that it was reprinted by JMC Press in the Philippines:

108philippined.thumb.jpg.84ac29b508cfa8e1a51793030c6a8281.jpg

I haven't seen inside the X-Men #101 but if it follows the same approach as the X-Men #98 posted earlier then CGC have perhaps got it all wrong - they are not calling the book what it is - a locally printed product of the Philippines which reprints original US material from X-Mem #101, some time after the original production event. In the case of the ASM, it even says 'reprinted' in the indicia and we know a variant can't be so if it was manufactured long after the book it is purported to be a variant of.

There is still a debate to be had here - has been had, in the early part of this thread - but CGC appear not to have been a party to it, if their X-Men labelling approach is anything to go by. 

I will post a question over at 'Ask CGC', to see what they say about it Ganni. It would be a shame if all your books were labelled one way and then events led to a change. Wish me luck. 

108philippinec.jpg