• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have you guys seen the Phillippine variants?
5 5

419 posts in this topic

So they supposedly reprinted random issues or is that Sub-Mariner implying they reprinted all the series?

Is there an issue number in the insides?

Therein lies part of the problem. We don't know if they printed titles sequentially or if they jumped around in the numbering. We haven't seen enough of these book to make that determination.

So they supposedly reprinted random issues or is that Sub-Mariner implying they reprinted all the series?

Is there an issue number in the insides?

Here is the indicia on that Sub-Mariner. As you can see, there is no mention of a volume number, issue number, or a date. (shrug)

sub-mariner-52-PH-Indicia_zpsa94a9b76.jpg

No, but the fact it is a reprint is spelled out. :grin: I am curious why it matters to some that these are reprints versus variants? Are we afraid that if they are labelled as foreign reprints (which they are) instead of variants (which they are not), they'll be less desirable? I think their rarity alone shouldn't detract from their desirability and I think it would be nice if the comic collecting community used the proper category for these type of things. But I've seen it on other threads where comic collectors refer to foreign issues as "variants" instead of the proper Canadian printing, etc.

These Philippine reprints are pretty cool. Wish I could track down a PAPI Star Wars 1 for my collection. I wonder if there is a Goodwill Bookstore Star Wars 1. Has anyone noticed any cover differences for other issues besides the Star Wars 1? I'm talking about a different in color, text differences, etc. Also, I'm assuming all these Philippine reprints are in English and not Filipino which many of the original Philippine comics are.

I have a friend whose family is from the Philippines and who still has family who lives there. I'll ask him if he knows anything about these and if he can have his family who lives there to keep an eye out for them. It's strange that with all the Philippine artists working in the industry that there isn't more information concerning these issues.

Edited by rjrjr

It's not a matter of how desirable they are. Plain and simple they are versions of a product with slight differences, be it the cover price, advertisements etc. which is a variation of the original. Hence a variant version.

Filipino is not the correct term for the language spoken there, it's Tagalog. The books are in English though.

It's highly unlikely that more than one of the bookstores would have been granted the license to print the same book. At this time it can't be confirmed or denied since not enough of these books have surfaced to make that determination. The closest cross over we've been able to detect up to now is Goodwill Bookstore produced Action Comics #405 and National Bookstore produced Action Comics #411. We don't know, however, if the rights to publish switched from one chain to the other or if both were publishing their own versions at the same time.

Man, mayhaps I should start publishing exact replicas of key issues by writing for publishing rights now. I can have the mintiest books and also sell them. Anyone interested to partner me on this investment plan??
Let me know how that works out for you. :eyeroll:

It's not a matter of how desirable they are. Plain and simple they are versions of a product with slight differences, be it the cover price, advertisements etc. which is a variation of the original. Hence a variant version.

Filipino is not the correct term for the language spoken there, it's Tagalog. The books are in English though.

They are reprints. Many domestic reprints are slightly or drastically different than the originals, but they are still reprints. If these comics were printed again in another country today, regardless of how they are packaged or whatnot they would still be considered foreign reprints. It is the term that has been used by the comic collecting community for a long time and just because variants are in vogue today with publishers doesn't mean the comic collecting community should not be more precise in how they label the issues. (It kind of reminds me how everyone is labelled a terrorist now by the news media.)

Many of these Philippine reprint comics clearly state you can order comic books in Filipino (Pilipino) or English, not Tagalog. You should read up on the origin of the name Filipino as Filipino is more or less the formal name for Tagalog. I'm just curious if any known Filipino versions of these reprint comics exist?

Edited by rjrjr

Man, mayhaps I should start publishing exact replicas of key issues by writing for publishing rights now. I can have the mintiest books and also sell them. Anyone interested to partner me on this investment plan??

Both Marvel and DC have more or less done this themselves over the years. (In recent years, even Dark Horse and Image have instituted programs like this, selling reprints of key issues for $1.) I don't believe these reprints have been good sellers for Marvel or DC; they usually coincide with collections that the publishers are pushing at the time. They used them as loss leaders to get the comic readers to sample the issues in the collections. I'm not sure there would be a lot of money in such an endeavour.