• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have you guys seen the Phillippine variants?
5 5

419 posts in this topic

Hi, I live in the Philippines and want to show my copy of Superman #249. This one is a National Bookstore reprint.

FABABDE3-C766-4D1C-894E-6B135ED45DF1-9646-000008D6CAF5AFFB.jpg

I actually bought this copy accidentally since I thought it was an original. There was a store here in the Phillipines which closed a few years ago selling these reprints. I think they had a reprint also of the 1st appearance of Bullseye (Daredevil 131) in their long boxes.

All the others (translated and adapted) are foreign editions, IMO.

So you agree with me Claudio that the traditional American category/classification idea concerning foreigns in that some would call lets say a Italian 300 a foreign reprint is misleading or even wrong? And, that a different classification is needed or should evolve? hm

ie: foreign edition, or foreign, or something else?

I agree that "reprint" is not an enough explanatory term. "Reprint" generally means reprinted more or less in the same form as the original, so at least in the original language, possibly unedited ("anastatic reprint" is a reprint which tries to replicate as much faithfully possible the original). The various language foreign editions are "reprints", but the term which describes them adequately is, as I have always stated, "foreign editions". If you consider what "edition" etimologically means you’ll see that it’s the correct term to use.

The Philippines books are a different matter: I see them as a similar phenomenon to when a US producer reprints a US comic book with some variation (for example as a giveaway, or to include it in a toy package). They are reprints, as they are in english, but they are altered reprints, so that is why I feel here the term "variant", although vague, can make more sense. I would call them "variant reprints for the Philippines". The UK and Canadians can be considered "variants", as they are almost equal editions for foreign markets, in the same language and form – when they came out simultaneously of course, not reprints done in a later date.

Hi, I live in the Philippines and want to show my copy of Superman #249. This one is a National Bookstore reprint.

I actually bought this copy accidentally since I thought it was an original. There was a store here in the Phillipines which closed a few years ago selling these reprints. I think they had a reprint also of the 1st appearance of Bullseye (Daredevil 131) in their long boxes.

If you have any you want to sell let me know. I'm pretty much always in the market for them. (thumbs u

If you have any you want to sell let me know. I'm pretty much always in the market for them. (thumbs u

Im curious about something Mark? If you had known it was a National Bookstore what would you have done? hm Would you have still bought it?

Also, do you think it is possible the original owner of the store could still be around with back stock? Thanks a million! (thumbs u

Fantastic Four 166

Fantastic Four 167

Fantastic Four 168

:takeit:

Would love to get these from you. I'll scour my boxes for Filipino books here. I know I have an Avengers 148.

Mr. Donut sir... im not really interested in reducing the amount of Fillipino books I own at the moment considering we know so little about them. But, I would be interested in trading for other Phillipine books? Id trade a FF NB for a Avengers NB no problem if its was about same grade... Ill PM you the details..... :gossip:

All the others (translated and adapted) are foreign editions, IMO.

So you agree with me Claudio that the traditional American category/classification idea concerning foreigns in that some would call lets say a Italian 300 a foreign reprint is misleading or even wrong? And, that a different classification is needed or should evolve? hm

ie: foreign edition, or foreign, or something else?

I agree that "reprint" is not an enough explanatory term. "Reprint" generally means reprinted more or less in the same form as the original, so at least in the original language, possibly unedited ("anastatic reprint" is a reprint which tries to replicate as much faithfully possible the original). The various language foreign editions are "reprints", but the term which describes them adequately is, as I have always stated, "foreign editions". If you consider what "edition" etimologically means you’ll see that it’s the correct term to use.

The Philippines books are a different matter: I see them as a similar phenomenon to when a US producer reprints a US comic book with some variation (for example as a giveaway, or to include it in a toy package). They are reprints, as they are in english, but they are altered reprints, so that is why I feel here the term "variant", although vague, can make more sense. I would call them "variant reprints for the Philippines". The UK and Canadians can be considered "variants", as they are almost equal editions for foreign markets, in the same language and form – when they came out simultaneously of course, not reprints done in a later date.

Ahhh good explanation! That is what I thought you were saying... looks like another vote for edition as far as the greater foreign classification debate.... more similar to book terminology. I tend to lean in this direction also... hm

Yes, the book, and antiquary book terminology is almost always appropriate for comics as well. I have a specific example which works just fine: years ago I got into the writings of Robert Hugh Benson, which was an anglican priest which converted to catholicism and was also a novelist. His novels, published in the 1900s and 1910s, have a double simultaneous edition, exactly like the Marvel SA books: one British (UK) and one northamerican (US). They both weight as a "first edition", but in my collecting I favored the UK one for certain titles, and the US one for others, because the american editions were beautiful.

This sits more or less in the same place as the debate "US vs. UK Pence copies". Generally speaking I consider the US books to be the original edition, because they are an original american product, which stemmed from your country’s culture (albeit speaking "universal values"), and thus I should have chosen the UK editions for the Benson books, as being the author british they are the "actual firsts". But in this case the situation is more shaded: besides having been published simultaneously, the author traveled at the time, did some conferences in the US as well, and wrote for catholic US publications, so the american editions would deserve the title of "firsts" as much as the UK ones.

I also collected foreign language editions of this author, including the ultra rare italian ones (a pair still missing) and some danish, german, etc. (I am missing spanish language ones).

The reason for which I got interested in the foreigns (besides the italian ones) was because of the universal interest his work raised, and the universal breathe of his writings, in a way very similar to the one which prompts me to look for foreign edition of certain comics, for their inherent qualities.

Ironically enough, I would never collect foreign Punishers, as I have always found the character very "local" and tied to a certain public perception of the crime and violence rate arising in the US in the 1980s and 1990s. :)

Off topic…. I had lunch today with Matt (Define999). Reprints, variants, agree, disagree, whatever, it was nice to see someone with so much passion about a segment of this hobby that so few know anything about.

When I joined these boards no one knew anything about CGC. Things have a way of changing and it only takes one person to start the change. Nice work Matt.

Off topic…. I had lunch today with Matt (Define999). Reprints, variants, agree, disagree, whatever, it was nice to see someone with so much passion about a segment of this hobby that so few know anything about.

When I joined these boards no one knew anything about CGC. Things have a way of changing and it only takes one person to start the change. Nice work Matt.

But did you tell him to go fist himself after lunch? hm

lol

But did you tell him to go fist himself after lunch? hm

lol

Nah... We had someone already wanting to show us his fists... Some drunk dude trying to start a fight? :facepalm: we handled it and moved on! lol

Cool meeting you too Brian! :headbang:

Im curious about something Mark? If you had known it was a National Bookstore what would you have done? hm Would you have still bought it?

Also, do you think it is possible the original owner of the store could still be around with back stock? Thanks a million! (thumbs u

Sorry for the very late reply. Was busy last couple of days.

To answer your first question, I would have not bought it in the first place since I originally thought it was the real deal and not a reprint. My face was full of frustration when I got home and opened the comicbook and found out it was a reprint. I almost throwed it in a garbage can! :frustrated:

As for the shop's owner, I believe he consigned the remaining stock to another hobby shop since he cannot find anyone interested in buying them. Take note that this happened two years ago.

To answer your first question, I would have not bought it in the first place since I originally thought it was the real deal and not a reprint. My face was full of frustration when I got home and opened the comicbook and found out it was a reprint. I almost throwed it in a garbage can! :frustrated:

As for the shop's owner, I believe he consigned the remaining stock to another hobby shop since he cannot find anyone interested in buying them. Take note that this happened two years ago.

I'd be more than happy to take any of them off your hands if you find them whether they be super-hero, horror or romance. Not big on war stuff but I'd probably consider them. (thumbs u

Incredibly interested......even to just take a peek...

So, sorry about the late response as well but my life has been crazy as hell!

This statement by you is very informative and I appreciate your honesty dude..... (thumbs u I am actually very glad you didn't throw it in the trash. In the general section of the forums I write about something I call the local indigenous bias.... How you felt about this book is the clearest example of this bias I have seen in a while. It is exactly this feeling of revulsion you felt that makes that very book you wanted to throw in the trash so special. Does that make sense? hm

Now to my foreign hunter brethren.... this is the reason these books are sooooo fascinating and so gosh darned rare! Now I might be beating a dead horse here, and LSComics already mentioned these points..... but the fact that any of these Filipino books survived at all is a sweet miracle. If any key book is found in whatever version.... like say a Spidey 129, or a HOS 92 or my personal grail a bats 227! Well I think its safe to say it is probably the rarest version/variant/edition/reprint whatever of that book on planet earth! And like LSComics has already said..... there is a chance that some of these books have already left the planet, their little pulp paper souls having already rotted away and gone to comic book heaven. :sorry:

Now another theory...... Why do we seem to see more NB books than Goodwill ones? Maybe, just maybe because NB used the original numbering and only left the price areas blank... so many more NB survived because peeps didn't realize they were different? They flew under the "bias" radar and escaped destruction or little brothers grubby hands? The goodwill books put their own numbering on the front covers and maybe they were not as lucky escaping the bias? Less goodwills exist because more of them were sacrificed..... ummmmmmm hm

Edited by Define999

Ok, finally a day off and some time to do some further exploring... Who would like to journey with me on a adventure digging a little deeper into the Philippines islands very interesting books? Im gonna take the silence as a yes... lol

Lets start out with the Alemar bookstore books I have since these types were what Bo_hogg started the thread with. (thumbs u

Don't know much about this bookstore? They don't seem to be as prevalent as the others... I have Shogun #1 and 2 number 2's....

shogun2.jpg

The cover of 1 and 2 do not like the Micronauts at the beginning of the thread have anything in the issue number. Also like the Micronauts 1 they do not have anything in the price box.

This book is beat the hell up! lol

showgun1front.jpg

back cover ad for famous etc.

showgun1back.jpg

showgun2front.jpg

Issue 2 back cover....

showgun2back.jpg

Now on the insides of the Alemar books I have their are no ads for anything but this funstuff inc/famous etc. company?

Gots to be one of the ugliest little girls ever drawn.. lol

alemarinsideshogunfunstuffa.jpg

alemarinsideshogunfunstuff4.jpg

These weirdly drawn ads are the only ads on the interior? Are they somehow related to Alemar bookstore? I researched them and couldn't find anything?

The inside front cover and backside do have Alemar house ads....

alemarinsideshogun.jpg

Another interesting element is on the indicia... unlike Goodwill and National Bookstore, it appears Alemar did not print any additional info in the indicia? No reprint, or licensing info.... nothing? (shrug) Could these have been counterfeits of some sort? un-licensed? ummmm interesting.... Could their be a NB version of these books? Could the printer have been doing unlicensed books on the side for another bookstore? Who knows.... Until we find a NB version or some other version this is just speculation....

alemarinsideshogunindecia.jpg

Ok, the other in my opinion coolest Alemar book I have! The Phantom Dell #1!

front

phantomfront.jpg

back

phantomback.jpg

Here is the American cover for reference....

phantom1usa.jpg

Notice Alemar had the text removed on the bottom and pricing info on the top removed.... this book does have a different Alemar house ad in it and again does not have any indication on the idicia of being a reprint or any official licensing...

interior house ad in the phantom....

phantomiside.jpg

Alemar bookstore is very interesting.... but lets move on to the NB's!

Iron Fist #4 NB

ironfist4cover.jpg

Back cover...

ironfist4back.jpg

The American cover for reference....

ironfist4us.jpg

Of course the first thing you notice is the lack of pricing and other info like month and copyright in the info box. NB still used the same American numbering though, unlike Goodwill or Alemar.... The other thing that I have heard others bring up before is the coloring difference... notice Iron fist looks darker? Much darker....

The Iron Fist still had the value stamp on the interior.... I couldn't remember if the American ones were in color or not....

IF#4 NB inside value stamp

ironfistinside.jpg

Could an Iron fist #14 exist as a NB?

Another NB book.... the From Beyond the Unknown 18. This book is similar to my Tarzan in that NB kept the covers original. Nothing is different from these except the back covers. The insides are different though than the Americans.... but these types of NB books could be hiding in plain site in many collections or dealer stock because the covers give nothing away. There does appear to be a print quality issue that speaks to the NB book.

front cover

FBU18_front.jpg

FBU18_back.jpg

The American for reference....

FBTU_us.jpg

Another NB book... the FF #167

FF167_NationalBookstorecove.jpg

Back cover....

FF167_Nationalback.jpg

American for reference...

ff167us.jpg

Notice again the skin tone of the Richards? Darker uh? Could this have been a conscious choice by the Printers? They could have increased the magenta plate to make them appear more Filipino? Crazy.....

Also check out the Price stamp.... its different isn't it? Could different NB bookstores have different price stamps? Probably......

pricestickerdiff.jpg

The inside indicia on this book..... Why do NB's have it and Alemars don't?

ironfistinside3.jpg

ironfistinside1.jpg

Also the skin tone thing intrigues me.... so I looked at other books...

coversmall.jpg

The American.....

xmen101us.jpg

Sure enough.... Skin tone looks to be more closely a hue that a young Filipino could relate too..... very interesting indeed.....

My wife is looking at me cross eyed wondering why I have spent all morning working on this scanning, shooting pics and stuff. Tomorrow morning I will post the goodwill and universal records examinations. In the meantime I hope you guys enjoyed this closer look at these books.

What have we found? These bookstore books have a lot more character than we realized. Art was altered to better fit the society they were going into, some bookstore indicia's clearly state they are licensed and some do not? Also, there is variation within each bookstore..... Some Alemar books have weird numbering instead of being blank? Some NB's didn't change the covers at all, unlike some covers..... why the variation? hm

A Hulk NB... beat to hell! lol

hulk196NB.jpg

Could a hulk 181 exist? hm

Edited by Define999