• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inappropriate Ads in Comics

80 posts in this topic

the monkey ad article was very interesting.

While I was too young to remember, I heard stories of my maternal grandmother having a monkey when my mom was growing up. Later on, my uncle had one as well though that one might have been a chimp. The stories were always told with an exasperated tone like "oh my god-- that monkey" this and that. lol

Looks like it was a Capuchin

zuBAsxBl.png

n220R9yl.png

hBObK4Xl.png

though this picture sort of resembles the Squirrel monkey

I don't know if it's been mentioned already or not, but there's an old very non PC term for a bottle rocket with the stick broken off.

I used to see Golden age comics with fireworks ads on the back of them referring to it by the exact name I'm talking about.

I was stunned the first time I saw it.

I don't know if it's been mentioned already or not, but there's an old very non PC term for a bottle rocket with the stick broken off.

I used to see Golden age comics with fireworks ads on the back of them referring to it by the exact name I'm talking about.

I was stunned the first time I saw it.

WOW! That is hard core. Golden age comics are the best for spelling out what was the worst in our culture at the time.

Did it bite? :D

They can just like dogs or cats. I babysitted 2 young chimpanzees after working at Marine World Africa USA. They firmly attached me by hugging my chest for one hour. Someone saw them and tried to wield it from me. One of them bit their hand and attached me again. I reckoned that I was their mother.

Did it bite? :D

They can just like dogs or cats. I babysitted 2 young chimpanzees after working at Marine World Africa USA. They firmly attached me by hugging my chest for one hour. Someone saw them and tried to wield it from me. One of them bit their hand and attached me again. I reckoned that I was their mother.

I asked because of this story. :)

[+]

There are a few of those monkeys running wild in the undeveloped areas around the State Park near the Fort Lauderdale Airport and Port Everglades. I guess they took the bus up from the Hialeah pet shop because they definitely aren't native.

And who would pay for a raccoon? Just leave an old happy meal outside and let them come to you that night. (thumbs u

Some of these ads that offer sex advice are actually fronts for dispensing birth control which was illegal at the time at many states. This was one of the ways Margaret Sanger and other birth control advocates advertised. [/img]

Huh. Interesting! And people say comic books rot your brain.

So you send my $5 in to learn how to be a babe magnet and you get birth control instead?

The guy sending in $5 to score doesn't need birth control. He wasn't banging in the first place.

Talk about bait-and-switch.

Yes, it's a master bait-and-switch.

I dont have the ad pics. but my sub-mariner

36 1950s as one ad selling pills to loose wait. and mentions that the kids will eat them like lollies

Wonder if this is the ad for pills with tape worm eggs. Worst invention since the Romans gagged themselves after a full meal.

The wording in the ad alone is something you would not see today.

"Call it a gay evenings entertainment"