• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

I can't believe it has been 4 years already since this film was released.

Someone created a visual to show how much of the Ultimate Cut was sliced out to create a Theatrical Cut that would play at 2.5 hours. Core slices just removed for the sake of time.

bvs_uc.PNG.a2d8e6a1418e79597253936157430b1e.PNG

An interesting video from someone that drastically hated BVS Theatrical Cut, but then later on revisited the film through the Ultimate Cut and came away with different feelings.

People have wildly different tastes don't they. There's no rhyme nor reason to it. Some like guitar bands, others hip hop. Some like both. Some hate both. But its generally possible to objectively identify something that is good, even if it's not to your taste. I loved this film because it's a great film. Everything about it. If the film was warmly received in the main, I would understand it. That it was not, I don't. I would wager that everyone who was involved in it are mystified by its failure to resonate. I bet they were expecting success and plaudits. 

I never want to see the movie again. I only saved the Batmobile chase and Batman warehouse scene from youtube. Those scenes and a few other small scenes are the best parts of the movie. Which doesn't make it a good movie if you are only interested in watching parts of it.

4 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

I never want to see the movie again. I only saved the Batmobile chase and Batman warehouse scene from youtube. Those scenes and a few other small scenes are the best parts of the movie. Which doesn't make it a good movie if you are only interested in watching parts of it.

Not that you must appreciate this film, but I had questions.

• Which version did you watch: BVS Theatrical Cut or the Ultimate Edition?
  • Could you appreciate how they tied the events of Man of Steel and BVS so closely together, or were you also not a fan of Man of Steel to begin with?
  • Were you okay with how this borrowed from The Dark Knight Returns in that there was such a conflict between Superman and Batman, or did that bother you to begin with they fought?

Just wondering. You can dislike what you want.

19 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Not that you must appreciate this film, but I had questions.

• Which version did you watch: BVS Theatrical Cut or the Ultimate Edition?
  • Could you appreciate how they tied the events of Man of Steel and BVS so closely together, or were you also not a fan of Man of Steel to begin with?
  • Were you okay with how this borrowed from The Dark Knight Returns in that there was such a conflict between Superman and Batman, or did that bother you to begin with they fought?

Just wondering. You can dislike what you want.

Both versions. You need to watch the Ultimate Edition to make sense of many scenes in the theater version. Like the Superman setup scene at the beginning.

I like Man of Steel. I have the timed edtion Mondo poster for that one.

You guessed the main problem. I never read Dark Knight Returns fully. I hated the concept as a kid. Only paged through the comic back then. And I still don't like the concept and haven't looked at the comic since. Batman and Superman to me shouldn't be in that kind of fight. I remember Kevin Smith saying something like all the people involved in this movie just wanted to make Batman and Superman fight. I thought the best part of the fight was when Superman threw Batman into the Bat signal light. That should have been the end of it.

Honestly, the animated Superman Batman World's Finest is a far better Superman Batman story to me. I like how fast they figure out the secret identities. Also, the look of the two cities is better as well. I didn't like that the cities were basically next door in Batman vs Superman. And I might as well mention that I hated the version of Lex Luthor in Batman vs Superman as well.

On Batman and Superman fights, I do like the short Batman vs Superman fight in an Alex Ross comic. The short battle in Hush is good too.

15 hours ago, D84 said:

I love this movie. Ben Affleck is the closest to a comic book Batman (performance and costume) that we've gotten to date.

Yes, it has problems, as every movie does, but I'd rather watch this than most of the Marvel movies.

His costume yes. And I do like his Bruce Wayne performance more than Bale's Bruce Wayne. But the worst thing was they made Affleck's Batman older seemingly just for looks and because of the old Miller comic. But Affleck's Batman isn't really a good detective at all in the movie which he should be since he is older.

5 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

Both versions. You need to watch the Ultimate Edition to make sense of many scenes in the theater version. Like the Superman setup scene at the beginning.

I like Man of Steel. I have the timed edtion Mondo poster for that one.

You guessed the main problem. I never read Dark Knight Returns fully. I hated the concept as a kid. Only paged through the comic back then. And I still don't like the concept and haven't looked at the comic since. Batman and Superman to me shouldn't be in that kind of fight. I remember Kevin Smith saying something like all the people involved in this movie just wanted to make Batman and Superman fight. I thought the best part of the fight was when Superman threw Batman into the Bat signal light. That should have been the end of it.

Honestly, the animated Superman Batman World's Finest is a far better Superman Batman story to me. I like how fast they figure out the secret identities. Also, the look of the two cities is better as well. I didn't like that the cities were basically next door in Batman vs Superman. And I might as well mention that I hated the version of Lex Luthor in Batman vs Superman as well.

On Batman and Superman fights, I do like the short Batman vs Superman fight in an Alex Ross comic. The short battle in Hush is good too.

His costume yes. And I do like his Bruce Wayne performance more than Bale's Bruce Wayne. But the worst thing was they made Affleck's Batman older seemingly just for looks and because of the old Miller comic. But Affleck's Batman isn't really a good detective at all in the movie which he should be since he is older.

I agree with the bolded.

You are aware that this version of "Lex" is Alexander Luthor, right? That seemed to escape many people's understanding. This was an origin story for him. Not your atypical already-seemingly-perfect-genius type yet. Snyder was playing the long game with Luthor and Darkseid.

How do you figure that Wayne isn't a good detective in BvS...? Batman has never been perfect, but, outside of being manipulated by a maniacal genius I'm not understanding this statement. He was looking for The Portuguese since the beginning of the film. He found it. He meticulously planned every moment of the battle with Superman. He could've killed "a god". It was A+ Batman there.

24 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

Not a terribly high bar unfortunately.

They seem to be the 'litmus test' for hero films in general. I'm very fond of the MCU, too. I like more seriously-toned films, though. It's why GotG Vol. 2 is such a poop movie to me. Awful overall comic book movie there.