• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Oddball said:

I’ve complained about the movies title a few times, looks like the screenwriter hated the title too. Some interesting stuff here. 

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/04/chris-terrio-justice-league-batman-v-superman

He absolutely hits on the critic pile-on that took place when they smelled blood in the water. But this hits home how far these critics go without any basis in facts.

Do you feel like the title, and the cuts for length, made it harder for people to appreciate things that did work in Batman v Superman?

That’s exactly right. The audience has to know that they’re in good hands. The minute that you lose them from a story point of view, they lose the desire to look at it generously. Once the critics decide a movie is incoherent, it’s just a pile-on. Then they attack everything. There’s a line at the beginning of the film where a warlord says to Lois Lane, “They didn’t tell me the interview was with a lady.” And Lois replies, “I’m not a lady, I’m a journalist.” So one reviewer held up this line as proof positive of my stupidity and my inability to write Lois, or to write at all.

Well, the character of Lois in the movie was inspired by the journalist Marie Colvin, who was of course killed in Syria. She was one of the most intrepid journalists who ever lived, in my opinion. And there’s a story in Vanity Fair, “Marie Colvin’s Private War” [by Marie Brenner], and the line that Lois says is almost exactly the line that was in that article, where a Chechen warlord said he wouldn’t shake her hand because she was a woman. Marie Colvin replied, “There is no woman in this room, only a journalist.” So that line was my tribute to her. But then in the pile-on, a line like that is held as proof positive that I don’t understand either women or journalists or human beings, and that I’m a writer.

:facepalm:

On 11/22/2021 at 10:26 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Guy on Reddit challenged me to a street fight because he claimed, "Martian Manhunter nuked Superman", and I informed him that General Swanwick did not do such a thing.

There's one account on Twitter that daily posts what he hates most about BVS. Seriously.

And he takes great pleasure in the responses to what he posts. I never put it together who that could be.

hm

On 11/22/2021 at 10:43 AM, Bosco685 said:

There's one account on Twitter that daily posts what he hates most about BVS. Seriously.

And he takes great pleasure in the responses to what he posts. I never put it together who that could be.

hm

It's probably Joss Whedon.

On 11/29/2021 at 6:49 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I still cannot believe that WB hired him to 'finish' JL when Whedon had tweeted before that, "Steppenwolf is the worst comic book villain".

Worse than Calender Man, Polka Dot Man, etc...

Interesting article about the movie people love to dislike - yet can't stop talking about it (um)

When it comes to Hollywood superhero tentpole movie drama, it doesn't get much more controversial than Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, even six years since its release. While other major franchises have concluded major arcs and moved on to new eras of storytelling, the DCEU still hasn't quite found a new stride, and Batman v Superman often finds itself at the center of the debate over Warner Bros. approach to DC Films, what went wrong, and their plans for the future.

Much has been said, and much will be said in the future, about what supposedly went wrong with Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, so it's impossible to recount every way it's triggered massive debates over the years and why people are still arguing about it six years later in 2022, but to distill it down to a single, core issue, Zack Snyder decided to tell a story that purposefully broke both Batman and Superman, and nobody can agree on whether or not the story justifies that decision (if they even realize it was a conscious decision), or whether or not that's a story that should even be the basis for the first cinematic meetup between the Caped Crusader and the Man of Tomorrow.

From Snyder's perspective as an auteur director with a tendency to approach stories from a deconstructionist perspective, massive cultural icons like Batman and Superman are icons for a reason, and in order to show why and how, he told a story that brought the core trait's of each character into conflict to ask "what makes Superman Superman" and "what makes Batman Batman?" In order to answer that question, you have to take the most iconic attributes of each character, Superman's ability to be a symbol of hope against all odds and Batman's devotion to justice against all odds, and ask what it would take to break those attributes, and, if they could be broke, what would it take to put them back together?

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice answers that question by taking Batman's loss and fear of feeling powerless, a fear traumatically instilled in him as a child with the murder of his parents, and Superman's desire to save everyone, even when society rejects him, and sending them on a collision course. Of course, that means Superman doesn't spend the entirety of Batman v Superman being the symbol of hope audiences expect, and Batman has become a rage-fueled engine of destruction convinced the elimination of a perceived threat (Superman) at any cost is justifiable. Those conflicting philosophies come to a head with the notorious realization that their mothers share the name Martha, which snaps Batman out of his rage enough to see he's become the very kind of killer he set out to stop. Likewise, Superman, despite feeling rejected by much of the world, gives up his life to save it, serving as the beacon of hope to finally rally people, including Batman (and consequently, the rest of the Justice League) behind his symbol.