• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Someone will be along in a minute to tell us that sound track isn't Amazonian enough for Wonder Woman... :popcorn:

It's too slow.

It's confusing.

Not enough jokes.

lol

Someone will be along in a minute to tell us that sound track isn't Amazonian enough for Wonder Woman... :popcorn:

lol

I really like DC heroes. It was really fun to see an epic story about 3 of the best DC heroes (my 3 favorites). Don't need to go all "Citizen Kane" to let myself feel like a kid again and really enjoy them.

Critics are just pirates in Neverland :)

I think Deadpool really had a factor on the critics.

Deadpool a comedy and short movie was the exact opposite of BVS.

I disagree. I think critics expected to see something true to the characters in the film. I didn't mind seeing Batman take some lives but I understand why some people might. Superman on the other hand, is generally held to a higher standard imo.

If Deadpool turned out to be a serious Superhero movie without the killing or comedy, people would be just as turned around. Viewers got what they expected from a Deadpool movie & the results were great, despite low production costs.

Edited by chezmtghut

I don't understand why all the hate reviews out there for this movie, I thought it was excellent and I'm not even a very big DC fan.

Extended franchises of expensive pre-greelit projects before completed scripts and lengthy actor deals that will lead to little lower-budgeted movies getting lost in release schedules or ignored art-house films is a general reason. Nothing immediately do to the Academy Awards in general, a poster had implied about 40 pages back (that's more film folks). I think the critics just prefer the quieter ones about little kids chasing balloons in a city or a librarian battling dyslexia while in black and white or something. They find more meaning and tend to root for movies like that in general. I'm not sure the word jealousy would be right for Batman v Superman. Its more like a "disgust", especially when the mainstream embraces them. I'm sure, "Civil War" will have a "certified" fresh rating if not for quality, but because you guys are going to it anyway as you proved with BvS. A message was sent and most likely received. lol

I don't understand why all the hate reviews out there for this movie, I thought it was excellent and I'm not even a very big DC fan.

Extended franchises of expensive pre-greelit projects before completed scripts and lengthy actor deals that will lead to little lower-budgeted movies getting lost in release schedules or ignored art-house films is a general reason. Nothing immediately do to the Academy Awards in general, a poster had implied about 40 pages back (that's more film folks). I think the critics just prefer the quieter ones about little kids chasing balloons in a city while in black and white or something. They find more meaning and tend to root for movies like that in general. I'm not sure the word jealousy would be right. Its more like a "disgust", especially when the mainstream embraces them.

this theory probably sounded good as you typed it. however, going just off memory, it seemed to me that in addition to this barker, the last several huge budget, extended franchise "non-kids chasing balloons b&w flicks" were jurassic world, furious 7, ultron and the force awakens. i just checked, and every one of them had 70+ rt scores.

Yeah, this hacking on the critics because it isn't an art house film would imply that they would trash summer blockbusters in general. Totally not the case. Instead I think they just didn't like the story (or lack of story) and the directing. I thought it was a well acted film with great action sequences, but the story, especially the first half, was poor. I went with three friends and one of them was raving about how great the film was. The other three of us didn't hate it, but didn't love it.

Extended franchises of expensive pre-greelit projects before completed scripts and lengthy actor deals that will lead to little lower-budgeted movies getting lost in release schedules or ignored art-house films is a general reason. Nothing immediately do to the Academy Awards in general, a poster had implied about 40 pages back (that's more film folks). I think the critics just prefer the quieter ones about little kids chasing balloons in a city while in black and white or something. They find more meaning and tend to root for movies like that in general. I'm not sure the word jealousy would be right. Its more like a "disgust", especially when the mainstream embraces them.

this theory probably sounded good as you typed it. however, going just off memory, it seemed to me that in addition to this barker, the last several huge budget, extended franchise "non-kids chasing balloons b+w flicks" were jurassic world, furious 7, ultron and the force awakens. i just checked, and every one of them had 70+ rt scores.

I extended my original response. ^

There wasn't a Rotten Tomatoes when I was a kid, but I remember the slasher films in the early eighties after "Halloween", were fairly critic proof. I have been studying the RT scores of them a little bit and concluded audience just didn't care about what they said back then in newspaper columns and "chose" what they wanted to see every weekend regardless of the one star ratings and accusations of immorality.

But, its just a theory as you said, from my viewpoint. Everyone's opinions are alway welcome.

Afterall, why the Furious 7, Superman Returns and Age of Ultron praise will befuddle the rest of my life as why they aren't lumped together with Godzilla '98 or Batman & Robin.

Just got back.

Loved:

The fact that my inner geek finally got to see this type of story on the big screen

Editing

The actual batman/superman fight

Writing and characterization around Wonder Woman

Most actors

Disliked:

Dream sequences (why?)

The literal dark pallette

Soundtrack (just forgettable, and if Zimmer was involved at all that shouldn't be the case)

Too loud

Gadot's acting

The gratuitous violence

Overall thought it was just...mediocre; a missed opportunity.

As in forgettable, a la SPECTRE or The Amazing Spider-Man.

I enjoyed Jurassic World, Furious 7, & Man of Steel more, even Iron Man 3.

I doubt this will have legs because I can't imagine tons of folks wanting to do repeat viewings.

Just got back, but here are my thoughts.

First the bad:

Poor editing, had major pacing problems.

Focused too long on some minor things.

Dreams lasted a little too long, (especially with Superman's father), lots of just little stylized sequences too long. Felt disjointed. Too MUCH going on.

Music over the top too often.

In whole overall not the greatest directing.

It also seemed like Batman should of had stronger reasons for wanting to kick Superman's butt. He needed an extra nudge, maybe it will be in the rated R edition.

HOWEVER as a whole my family and I actually REALLY liked it!

Its hard to explain but its one of those movies where it had enough awesome moments that kept even my wife and younger kids interested throughout.

1. Any reservations and questions I had about Ben Affleck are demolished. Batman was simply just awesome! Almost nerd tears awesome. Strangely enough I think I like him more that Bale. While Dark Knight is a better movie, in many ways I liked this Batman better.

2. Lex was ok, but I wish he spoke better and was more focused. A little too all over the place.

3. Superman was good. Did a solid job.

4. WW was solid but could have been put into the story more fluidly.

Overall hard to rate but the awesome was really awesome. Maybe a solid B with a warning. Liked it better than Man of Steel which I thought was a B-.

Edited by Rip

Just got back from seeing it with some friends. Theater was about half full 7pm on Easter Sunday.

What I liked:

The movie was definitely not as bad as people are making this out to be. How can you be a comic fan and say that you HATE movies that are being brought to life for us to enjoy on the big screen?

Last half of the movie! - Entertaining and got more into the comic book feel

Without spoiling it the way certain people were introduced briefly to set up for JLA

Affleck as Batman was fine no complaints

Wonderwoman was cool

What could of been better:

First half of the movie was too drawn out. Some of it was just pointless and made for some boring parts. Could of been about 30 minutes less to have it flow better I think

Lex Luthor - Not as bad as I was imagining, but still annoyed me

The way batman and superman ended their fight scene was just too quick and sudden for me

They should of left Doomsday out of the previews would of been a huge surprise for everyone in the movie if they did that I think

Overall I said I'd give it a B- My wife enjoyed it but agreed with me on cutting it down some. There were a group of about 4 people that walked out halfway through the movie which was disappointing because I felt they missed the best parts of the movie.

Ok I get it. For the sake of the scene of the death of Bruce's parents at the hand of the robber, you see the billionaire's wife's string of pearls break and all fly all over the place. Fact is that real pearls are strung together and there is a knot between each pearl thus preventing what we saw in that scene. So the pearls were fake. Damn billionaires putting on the dog and the bling is faux. I loved the movie otherwise, all of it, beginning to end. Very enjoyable.

Edited by Junkdrawer

Ok I get it. For the sake of the scene of the death of Bruce's parents at the hand of the robber, you see the billionaire's wife's string of pearls break and all fly all over the place. Fact is that real pearls are strung together and there is a knot between each pearl thus preventing what we saw in that scene. So the pearls were fake. Damn billionaires putting on the dog and the bling is faux. I loved the movie otherwise, all of it, beginning to end. Very enjoyable.

waynepearls1.jpg