• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

I remember when that happened. Guardians of Galaxy had just come out to REALLY good buzz that week and Marvel was feeling themselves in the way you do when you make Guardians huge and was not moving Cap 3 even though DC tried to plant really the biggest movie they could have on a schedule (BatmanVSuperman) and one of them had to get out of the way. DC did and they were smart to, though I'm sure it was fun for Marvel.

It happens all the time but fandom reacts the way you think it will, though usually the less confident studio or project moves even if it is big too (recently Spielberg's Ready Player One and Avatar both moved to get away from the next Star Wars movies)

Seems like this movie might have staying problems...

'Batman v Superman' Sets Record With Worst Friday-Sunday Drop For A Superhero Pic

Reading the comments of the article (you have to click on that part for it to come up), someone made an interesting point

I created this account just comment on how ridiculous the numbers are being skewed in this article to fit a narrative.

Did BvS have the largest Friday to Sunday decline ever for a Superhero movie? Yes, that is factually accurate.

But what you failed to take into account or explain is the opening Friday – GOOD FRIDAY – which naturally inflates the box office totals for both Thursday night and Friday itself. So when comparing that inflated total to the Sunday, of course it has the largest decline! In fact, on average Good Friday has outgrossed the following Saturday by about 5% (even after removing the Thursday night preview grosses). No other opening weekend in your chart has that same altered weekend pattern.

If you want a more apt comparison, use Furious 7, which opened on Easter weekend last year, you’ll find the numbers are pretty close.

I don’t have an agenda; this is just bad journalism.

Then another...

What a dumb article. Take Thursdays Talley from Friday and you’ll get $54m on Friday leaving a drop from Friday to sat less than 10%….plus Easter Sunday absolutely killed Sunday sales period…

It would appear the article writer didn't factor the behavior of potential movie-goers during a religious and family holiday like Easter.

Agree, while I don't think this will have great staying power (though I recommend the movie to comic fans), I wouldn't read too much into the numbers yet for better or for worse.

Add to that is the fact that Thursday's totals were added to Friday's, and that what used to be a midnight showing Thursday/Friday is now a full slate of showings Thursday evening. I wasn't a big fan of the film, but just as I would have predicted large opening Friday no matter how bad the film was I would have also predicted a huge drop off Friday to Sunday no matter how good the movie was. The big test will be this week when many kids are out on spring break. I would think it should hold pretty well during the week.

Something else to remember is that there were a lot of key similarities between the premises of the two movies (obviously) but also including the major spoiler at the end. DC was smart to get to it first - now, Marvel could look like the copycats to uneducated eyes.

Great movie. I think the only thing that annoyed me was Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor and I really like him as an actor.

Other than that I guess the only other thing that was silly was when Bruce Wayne is in Metropolis to try and help during the beatdown between Superman/Zod and he gets out of a couple million dollar helicopter and gets into.....

a Jeep Renegade.

Come on.....he's a billionaire, a Jeep Renegade? really? I'm sure jeep paid a pretty penny for that one but come on.

Edited by ianh

I just came back from seeing BvS.

No desire to see this movie again anytime soon. :censored:

I wanted to enjoy this movie, but I can't kid myself this movie was not terrible but also not that enjoyable.

The trailers ruined this movie for me months ago, and Jesse Eisenberg was just brutal to watch. They need to recast that role. Affleck as predicted is a fine Batman, and Gal Gadot is good Wonder Woman.

They crammed Batman Dark Knight Returns, Death of Superman, Funeral for a Friend, and DC Trinity all into one.

Marvel is doing this to DC right now....... :roflmao:

Due to this films lack of character development when Superman...

died I could have cared less. Also setting up the Justice League movies with Superman needing a rebirth first. :facepalm:

Is this the worst superhero movie of all time? Well no but IMO for the most important meeting of the top 2 comic book characters of all time this was very much a big letdown for me.

Hopefully I will feel different after the blu ray release, but as of right now the whole creative team on this film should not be asked back for the next films. Poorly written film. There was no emotional reason for Superman & Batman to fight each other in this film due to terrible character development.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

Saw it last night at 7:20 PM on a Monday and the theatre was packed.

I thought it was a good movie, it had some issues, but still a good movie (overall about a 7 or 8 out of 10 for me). MUCH MUCH better than Avengers AoU.

so today during a team meeting at my job some of my coworkers told me they like the movie like how it was different then any Marvel. and a lot of them said they felt sad for superman because didn't many what he did it was always question by everybody and they like how they showed throught body language of superman carring the weight of the world on his shoulder.

Still love how they tied the two movies together so perfectly, confirming why Bruce Wayne would personally have a problem with Superman.

IcHJj0e.gif

So the next time Joker decides to blow up a hospital, following his own logic in this film we blame Batman? ???

Still love how they tied the two movies together so perfectly, confirming why Bruce Wayne would personally have a problem with Superman.

IcHJj0e.gif

I was wondering if someone would do this...match up the destruction in MoS to BvS.

This is the review I think I like the most on the film - seems to hit the nail on the head for me:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/03/29/the-critics-must-be-crazy-batman-v-superman-is-fantastic/#4f9128ec1cc5

Quote: "Tense, dark, and beautifully shot, Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice may not be a critical darling, but it’s a tremendously good superhero movie nonetheless. Could it have been better? Most definitely. But the critical consensus seems way off this time around. Of course, there’s no accounting for taste, and liking or disliking a film is purely a matter of personal opinion. I liked this one a lot, and it surprises me that so many of my peers seem to disagree so vehemently."

IcHJj0e.gif

I was wondering if someone would do this...match up the destruction in MoS to BvS.

It makes the initial differences between the two characters that much more clear. But the interesting thing was before BvS was even determined as the next movie, there wasn't even a roadmap laying this out as the natural progression.

I wonder if it was Chris Terrio calling this out as a scene to tie the two movies together.

down to 28 on rt, tho' it looks like gl's 26 and my big fat greek wedding sequel's 25 are safely out of reach.
Rambo: First Blood Part 2 is a RT 28% movie. For 30 years, I always thought was a fun movie (James Cameron worked on the -script). We will see what the kids who watched this one says in three decades. I think it might be the same assessment, I made. :)

If you like the film, fine. Just don't tell me it's great because it sure as h-e-l-l isn't.

I didn't want to hate this film but couldn't help feeling like I flushed money down the toilet. It was just so idiotic from beginning to end. I say this as a fan of comics in general as well as movies but I respect great storytelling more. I feel we as fans deserve more than a few CGIed scenes slapped together just to call it a good "movie".

I can forgive a few lapses of judgement in a film but when they are as monumental and plentiful as they are in BATMAN V SUPERMAN, it needs to be pointed out and be heard so they can avoid making another turd. We deserve better than this and WB / DC doesn't respect us enough to give it to us.

The idea the peeps at WB / DC keep spouting about comic fans loving this film is a complete lie because not all fans are alike and our tastes vary. I believe the big drop in box office sales has to do with Word of Mouth which has a better chance of destroying a movie's longevity and success more than all the critics put together.

VOX does a wonderful job breaking down why this film is as bad as it is--

http://www.vox.com/2016/3/26/11308944/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-review-spoilers-nonsense

http://www.vox.com/2016/3/29/11322002/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-flaw-spoiler

They also list recommendations to get the bad taste out of your mouth --

http://www.vox.com/2016/3/28/11319086/batman-vs-superman-dawn-of-justice-streaming-animated

We deserve better than this and WB / DC doesn't respect us enough to give it to us.

Entitled much?

You honestly think someone at WB was like "Yeah, here's a $250 million check +marketing budget so you can half- it - screw our fans...we COULD be better than Marvel, but I'm feeling lazy today..."