• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

I've been asked by a few people whether it matters to see this film in 3D or not. Anyone know if 3D is worth it?

I saw it in 3D because everything else was sold out. I typically do not like 3D movies; they typically distract me. But this one did not. Not much of an endorsement, but if you extrapolate, that might mean the 3D is decent.

Thanks. I will pass the information along.

Go for the 3D. This one was done well so the 3D aspects were not a distraction. (thumbs u

(thumbs u

YEP. It looks like most critics were off about this.

I am beginning to think the Deadpool movie had quite an affect on the critic`s bias.

They had all just seen how funny Deadpool was, and Batman V.Superman was quite the opposite that put the critics in a awkward movie experience.

The constrast was just to much for the critics.

Overtime the critics will come around. Time will be good to Batman V.Superman.

I liked BvS much more than Deadpool. I think that Deadpool was a revelation to people who were not familiar with the comics, and my bet is that the critics also went in with lowered expectations due to the Ryan Reynolds effect. I thought DP was a very good movie, but it was not as funny as I was hoping it to be (and they fugged up with one of my X-favorites, Colossus :sumo: ).

In any case, the majority of critics are seeing something in the movie that the vast majority of viewers are not which is hilarious.

It will be interesting to see how BvS does this weekend. I hope that it holds well and ends up around $620 - $630M range and tops $1B in the end. :wishluck:

(thumbs u

YEP. It looks like most critics were off about this.

I am beginning to think the Deadpool movie had quite an affect on the critic`s bias.

They had all just seen how funny Deadpool was, and Batman V.Superman was quite the opposite that put the critics in a awkward movie experience.

The constrast was just to much for the critics.

Overtime the critics will come around. Time will be good to Batman V.Superman.

I liked BvS much more than Deadpool. I think that Deadpool was a revelation to people who were not familiar with the comics, and my bet is that the critics also went in with lowered expectations due to the Ryan Reynolds effect. I thought DP was a very good movie, but it was not as funny as I was hoping it to be (and they fugged up with one of my X-favorites, Colossus :sumo: ).

In any case, the majority of critics are seeing something in the movie that the vast majority of viewers are not which is hilarious.

It will be interesting to see how BvS does this weekend. I hope that it holds well and ends up around $620 - $630M range and tops $1B in the end. :wishluck:

even if it's down 60% it's going to exit the weekend w/ a whole lot more than $630MM, north of $700MM thru Sunday seems a given

Saw it yesterday. Wonderful movie. As I suspected the 30% RT grade was nothing but cheap politics.

Its simple, if you like action packed Marvel style movies - this pup aint for you. If you like deep dark thought provoking movies this ones a keeper.

DC is doing to superhero movies what it did to comics back in the mid to late 80s

what are the politics you are mentioning?

Also what are the thoughts that you felt the movie provoked?

I felt like it was trying to be thoughtful (vs the glib, popcorn marvel movies) but got so bogged down any attempts to be "deep" got lost in the muddiness and plot holes.

kudos for trying, but trying ain't the same as succeeding...

What Should We Expect from 'Batman v Superman's Second Weekend?

This weekend offers up a big test for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. The film was roundly dismissed by critics and yet it became the first film to gross over $150 million in its opening weekend with a RottenTomatoes score below 63%. Additionally, it became the only film to gross over $150 million with a CinemaScore below a "B+" and yet, online ticket seller Fandango.com reports it's seeing strong, repeat ticket purchases, 30% higher than a typical blockbuster. Does this tell us anything about what to expect from its second weekend?

As already stated, Batman v Superman is the only live action film to open over $150 million and score below a "B+" CinemaScore and one of only two films to score lower than a "B+" and open over $100 million, the other being Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, a film that ironically scored a 78% on RottenTomatoes while being loathed by a large portion of the audience. To that point, while Batman v Superman may hold a 29% rating on RottenTomatoes, the site's users score it 71%, far better than Crystal Skull's 54%.

Perhaps the most astonishing statistic when looking at IMDb's user ratings is the sheer number of votes BvS has received so far. With 186,047 as of publication, that's 100,000 more than Man of Steel had at the same point in its release cycle, 120,000 more than Winter Soldier, 50,000 more than Ultron and 114,000 more than Furious 7. Clearly, the film has gained fan attention, perhaps many are rating it simply in response to the critical lambasting, but will that propel it to second weekend success?

Forecast:

- Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (4,256 theaters) - $58.1 M

- Zootopia (3,698 theaters) - $15.01 M

- God's Not Dead 2 (2,300 theaters) - $13 M

- My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 (3,179 theaters) - $10 M

- Miracles from Heaven (3,155 theaters) - $6.14 M

- The Divergent Series: Allegiant (3,018 theaters) - $4.53 M

- Meet the Blacks (1,011 theaters) - $3.03 M

- Deadpool (1,968 theaters) - $2.84 M

- Eye in the Sky (1,029 theaters) - $2.8 M

- Hello, My Name is Doris (964 theaters) - $2.67 M

Hey all --

Opinions about a piece of art are not right or wrong -- they're just simple opinions, not facts. 30% of the critics liked the movie, so let's not jump on all the "critics" as a group. 70% didn't think it was all that hot due to lots of stuff discussed on here already. So what.

On to the second weekend,

Dan

I don't really care what the critics said. None of their commentary influenced my feelings about the movie.

I really WANTED to love this flick. I really enjoyed MOS and was eager to see it followed up by BvS. In fact, I had that MOS theme music in my head and felt uplifted after seeing the first movie....(in spite of the controversial ending).

I've been a staunch advocate for the DCCU and a stalwart defender of everything DC right along.

With the exception of the new WW music theme....I felt that the soundtrack was distracting, choppy and dissonant.......even intrusive.

That was a fail IMHO. As I mentioned previously: if I hadn't seen the trailers, I would have possibly enjoyed the film to a greater degree. I honestly felt that the movie was all the trailers glued together with some patchy dialogue and a thin thread that connects the rest.

I'm still eager to see what the JL movie has to offer, but I was effectively let down by BvS. For all the hype, posturing and pre-movie discussion of plotline....especially the comments by Snyder that inferred much more was going to be in the movie than what was displayed in the trailers......it just didn't measure up.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zack-snyder-reacts-batman-v-852953

...some fans complained that too much of the story had been given away, especially as it related to seeing the two heroes stand alongside Wonder Woman against a common foe. Perhaps unsurprisingly, director Zack Snyder doesn't agree with that point of view...

Here's what Synder said back in January regarding the trailers:

"I have the benefit of seeing the movie," Snyder told MTV when asked about the complaints. "It’s cool that [fans] think it’s too much, and I appreciate people not wanting to know, but there’s plenty that they don’t know. There’s a lot of movie that’s not in the trailer."

So where was the "lot of movie" that wasn't in the trailer? Extra footage doesn't equate "lots of movie" that folks don't already know about. Sure you can say there's alot more fighting....but enough to justify the quote? How about those scenes of the Justice League.....yeah, a bit extra....but we knew they'd be there. How about more WW dialogue....nope we saw that in the trailers...and pretty much all the dialogue that Luthor has as well.

The only thing I didn't see in the trailers was Scoot McNairy.....and his nonsensical role.

BTW: what horsecrap he was feeding us back in 2014 regarding his role:

Scoot McNairy and his green CGI socks have resulted in fans reaching the conclusion that he will appear in Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice as either The Flash, Metallo or possibly a wonded Metropolis citizen from Superman and General Zod's battle in Man of Steel. In a recent interview with Schmoes Know, they told the Argo star that they very much hope to see him as a member of the Justcue League in Zack Snyder's movie. His response? "Yeah well…I hope to be a part of the DC Universe for a while as well."

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman_vs_superman/scoot-mcnairy-hints-that-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-a106387

Not sure why the critics panned the movie so much, but to each his or her own.

My wife and I went with another couple and everyone, including me, thought it was the best superhero movie to date. The girls loved Wonder Woman. The guy I went with loved the dark tone of the movie. They thought the battle between Superman and Batman was weird but I explained the team-up dynamic in almost all comics... Good guys have misunderstanding, patch things up, fight an even greater threat to them or humanity, friends in the end(minus supes dying). They were shocked by the death, but like me, expect him to be back eventually, duh.

Sure there were a few problems, like them not actually showing Flash (totally selfish desire on my part), but all superhero movies and regular movies for that matter have problems.

I asked my wife if I should preorder the blu-ray and she said definitely, so it was a success in my book.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zack-snyder-reacts-batman-v-852953

...some fans complained that too much of the story had been given away, especially as it related to seeing the two heroes stand alongside Wonder Woman against a common foe. Perhaps unsurprisingly, director Zack Snyder doesn't agree with that point of view...

Here's what Synder said back in January regarding the trailers:

"I have the benefit of seeing the movie," Snyder told MTV when asked about the complaints. "It’s cool that [fans] think it’s too much, and I appreciate people not wanting to know, but there’s plenty that they don’t know. There’s a lot of movie that’s not in the trailer."

So where was the "lot of movie" that wasn't in the trailer? Extra footage doesn't equate "lots of movie" that folks don't already know about. Sure you can say there's alot more fighting....but enough to justify the quote? How about those scenes of the Justice League.....yeah, a bit extra....but we knew they'd be there. How about more WW dialogue....nope we saw that in the trailers...and pretty much all the dialogue that Luthor has as well.

The only thing I didn't see in the trailers was Scoot McNairy.....and his nonsensical role.

BTW: what horsecrap he was feeding us back in 2014 regarding his role:

Scoot McNairy and his green CGI socks have resulted in fans reaching the conclusion that he will appear in Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice as either The Flash, Metallo or possibly a wonded Metropolis citizen from Superman and General Zod's battle in Man of Steel. In a recent interview with Schmoes Know, they told the Argo star that they very much hope to see him as a member of the Justcue League in Zack Snyder's movie. His response? "Yeah well…I hope to be a part of the DC Universe for a while as well."

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman_vs_superman/scoot-mcnairy-hints-that-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-a106387

Well, maybe he was talking about the uncut version though I think at that point the film was film, it had already been rated, etc. This film had been pretty much on a shelf for awhile before release, remember it was pushed back,.

I will say this though, and even as not really a fan of his work, that's what he should come out and say as really the head of this corporate property with so much expectations. He's the "leader" of this thing as the director and he was asked a question and he's not going to throw people under the bus (like when Johns said Green Lantern was good for instance, that's what he's supposed to do). The other way is to be like Trank and disavow the film, which I think all of us would agree, mess movie or not, you don't do as a young director.

I think the big surprise that wasn't in the trailers was Superman's death -- well, and that (thank god) Scoot McNairy's character didn't turn out to be a superhero

(you know, like the shock & surprise we'll all have if Suicide Squad's Scott Eastwood character _doesn't_ actually turn out to be Slade Wilson.)

And frankly - the only folks who might have called Superman's death in this film are comic geeks who knew that "Doomsday" equals "Death of Superman." I doubt 95% of "civilians" knew of (or would have predicted) his death going in.

That said -- I think it would have been a stronger movie had Doomsday not been in the trailer -- akin to the surprise of seeing the Thanos teaser at the end of The Avengers.

My wife and I went with another couple and everyone, including me, thought it was the best superhero movie to date. The girls loved Wonder Woman. The guy I went with loved the dark tone of the movie. They thought the battle between Superman and Batman was weird but I explained the team-up dynamic in almost all comics... Good guys have misunderstanding, patch things up, fight an even greater threat to them or humanity, friends in the end(minus supes dying). They were shocked by the death, but like me, expect him to be back eventually, duh.

Sure there were a few problems, like them not actually showing Flash (totally selfish desire on my part), but all superhero movies and regular movies for that matter have problems.

I asked my wife if I should preorder the blu-ray and she said definitely, so it was a success in my book.

in boise, it's my guess that theaters have only shown elektra, catwoman, ghost rider 2, and the new ff movie before this one. that's the only rational explanation for FOUR DIFFERENT PEOPLE thinking this is the best superhero movie to date. and, yes, i understand "opinions can't be wrong," but this is worse than opining that jamarcus russell was a better nfl quarterback than manning [any of the 3].

in boise, it's my guess that theaters have only shown elektra, catwoman, ghost rider 2, and the new ff movie before this one. that's the only rational explanation for FOUR DIFFERENT PEOPLE thinking this is the best superhero movie to date. and, yes, i understand "opinions can't be wrong," but this is worse than opining that jamarcus russell was a better nfl quarterback than manning [any of the 3].

You didn't like BvS? :o

:shy:

If you haven't watched the movie yet and therefore wants to avoid spoilers, do not click on this JoBlo video.

I did not realize Barry Allen states 'Am I too soon' before delivering his message to Bruce.

:ohnoez:

I'm still buzzing from seeing it. had to be the biggest comic fan spectacle of all time. I mean the 3 top superheroes of all time in a movie together for maybe the first time ever! I saw the Conan O'Brien show with the cast and Zack in it and they all seemed to be loving the fact they were involved (and each other, down Gal, now leave Amy alone (tsk) ).

I can't wait to see it again. A nearby movie house has a $6 ticket special Tuesday, which I want to try to be at each of them for the foreseeable future. :insane:

Sure we have to wait until big movies come out on laser disc...can't wait for Captain America 1 to make it over here. Sometimes it feels like we're living in Wyoming.!

Wasn't trying to say our views were correct or incorrect. That was how we felt when we left the theatres. Don't care how the cultured Cajuns feel or anyone else. just 4 people who liked the movie.