• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Bosco, when you can can you run the numbers via your tabulations because i'm seeing on twitter that people are reporting Deadpool had a stronger second week than BatmanVSuperman. Not sure if it's an April Fool's belated thing because if that's true that's BONKERS.

There's a lot of ways to define 'better'

I never said the word better or made any comment regarding quality.

That said, if box office was used as "the people have spoken" and this is a great movie, why is it not the case if it falls on its face after word of mouth occurs (and I'm not saying it has, the numbers are not official).

Also, I was more commenting on just how incredible Deadpool has to be for Fox, made at such a cheap price. Apocalypse is a now incredibly exciting (not that it wasn't to begin with) just to see what the next "phase" seems to be for them. Very forward thinking to rethink Gambit (though the reported budget was always insane for that film).

I'm not sure if the official final budget has been released for BatmanvSuperman though reports indicated it was quite high. That stuff for a movie likes this is always a wash for me though, just due to the licensing aspect of known commodities. It's not like say John Carter.

So last night I saw Star Worse: TFA for the 2nd time.

Boy that movie sucked. Horrible!

This was a cheap (well, expensively cheap) attempt to hijack a classic film (A New Hope) and make it popular with all the current trends.. Female empowerment, Hunger Games, racial equality.. yadda yadaa...

Not that it bothers me but.. It was just sooooo poorly executed. The acting was HORRIBLE.. Kylo Ren, the main villain in the movie was as scary as Lord Dark Helmet.. The story felt rushed in the end.. It was all just too bad.

So why am I posting this in this thread?

The budget for this movie was more or less the same as BvS.. The hype was MUCH bigger... The toys, merch, the comic, everything was set up for this BIGGER THAN LIFE epic movie.

And last, the movie critics went CRAZY on this one.. 90% positive on RT

You know... When you combine all that together, and youre going to see THE movie everybodys talking about and positively reviewing, youd go into the theater and leave happy, thinking you just saw a great movie.

But now, that the smoke cleared and the hype is gone. I went to see it again and thought to myself... Wow, thats just the worst SW movie ever made.

I have no doubt in my mind that critics are biased, and its all politics. Its demonstrated well on SWTFA, and is MUCH MORE PRONOUNCED with BvS.

Wait till everyones done raping BvS.. And see it again with a clear mind. You know.. When this thread slowly dies.. Thats when youll get the most honest reaction to this film. Positive or Negative

My opinion. And mine only.

This was a cheap (well, expensively cheap) attempt to hijack a classic film (A New Hope) and make it popular with all the current trends.. Female empowerment, Hunger Games, racial equality.. yadda yadaa...

Not that it bothers me but.. It was just sooooo poorly executed. The acting was HORRIBLE.. Kylo Ren, the main villain in the movie was as scary as Lord Dark Helmet.. The story felt rushed in the end.. It was all just too bad.

The budget for this movie was more or less the same as BvS.. The hype was MUCH bigger... The toys, merch, the comic, everything was set up for this BIGGER THAN LIFE epic movie.

You know... When you combine all that together, and youre going to see THE movie everybodys talking about and positively reviewing, youd go into the theater and leave happy, thinking you just saw a great movie.

But now, that the smoke cleared and the hype is gone. I went to see it again and thought to myself... Wow, thats just the worst SW movie ever made.

I have no doubt in my mind that critics are biased, and its all politics. Its demonstrated well on SWTFA, and is MUCH MORE PRONOUNCED with BvS.

Wait till everyones done raping BvS.. And see it again with a clear mind. You know.. When this thread slowly dies.. Thats when youll get the most honest reaction to this film. Positive or Negative

I'm just curious as to why you went a second time to Star Wars if it was so bad. (shrug)

I'm just curious as to why you went a second time to Star Wars if it was so bad. (shrug)

Answer highlighted

Answer highlighted

Ok

Bosco, when you can can you run the numbers via your tabulations because i'm seeing on twitter that people are reporting Deadpool had a stronger second week than BatmanVSuperman. Not sure if it's an April Fool's belated thing because if that's true that's BONKERS.

It might be domestic numbers.

Deadpool Weekend 1 (Domestic):$152,193,853

Deadpool Weekend 2 (Domestic): $56,470,167 (Change= -57.4%)

BvS Weekend 1 (Domestic) $166,007,347

BvS Weekend 2 (Domestic) $51,000,000 (Estimated as of Saturday) (Change= -69.3)

"...reshoots on Suicide Squad (due out on August 5): Apparently the studio is lightening the mood for a more fun Suicide."

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/batman-v-superman-counts-209-143933619.html

Good. That's my second biggest complaint with BvS, after the fact that Batman was too out of character for my taste.

Unfortunately, most people view late re-shoots as the studio either lacking confidence in the film or meddling with the film to appease public perceptions. It could make the movie worse.

Edited by drotto

"...reshoots on Suicide Squad (due out on August 5): Apparently the studio is lightening the mood for a more fun Suicide."

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/batman-v-superman-counts-209-143933619.html

Good. That's my second biggest complaint with BvS, after the fact that Batman was too out of character for my taste.

Bad. Some of us don't want the mood lightened. We have Marvel for those guys. But I guess whatever the masses want...

I get what you're saying, and I like the fact that it's not a Marvel movie. It is more complex, but somehow they've got to find a way to make the general audience feel like the weight of the activities in the movie at least pays off in some sort of "feel good" moment at the end or be an accumulation of feel-good moments during the movie. Those moments just didn't exist. Beating some non-descript monster (which is how the non-comic reading community would see Doomsday) that was created in the last 20 minutes of the movie, just wasn't a big payoff. There was no buildup with Doomsday other than being a proxy for Luthor, which didn't come across as a big deal either.

Wait a minute.... Suicide Squad must be super dark if they have to tone it down. That second trailer was all comedy.

They said the only comedic bits were in that trailer. I guess those comedic bits tested so well, that they decided to spend a couple of million to add more and change the dark tone.

Wait a minute.... Suicide Squad must be super dark if they have to tone it down. That second trailer was all comedy.

They said the only comedic bits were in that trailer. I guess those comedic bits tested so well, that they decided to spend a couple of million to add more and change the dark tone.

I'm pulling for this to be DC's GotG. Super excited for it.

‘Batman V Superman’ At $363.4M Offshore; Faces China Fight As Local Pics Storm Ring

While China remains the top overseas market for Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent, the Tomb Sweeping holiday this weekend has seen BvS essentially buried by a pair of new local films. As predicted last week, the arrival of The Bodyguard and Chongqing Hot Pot is overtaking the superhero mashup this session. BvS made an estimated $2.6M on Friday, per Warner’s flash numbers. That relegated it to 4th place on the day, also behind China title Who Sleeps My Bro. It is straddling 3rd/4th place on Saturday with about $4.65M, according to local tracking, which has it vying with Disney’s Zootopia. The Bodyguard, with Sammo Hung, is in first place with a rough $16.5M-$17.2M cume, followed by Chongqing Hot Pot and its $13M/$13.1M over two days. After debuting at No. 3 on Friday, Who Sleeps My Bro slipped to 5th place on Saturday with a rough total of $7M. The Chinese flash numbers are always a bit tricky, but Warner has BvS at $75M through Friday and local tracking is at an estimated $80M cume through Saturday. BvS will have to overcome a good dose of kryptonite to get to, or much beyond, $100M in the next three weeks of its run.

It’s not unprecedented for a U.S. tentpole with expected impact to open strongly in China and then fall off. Witness Spectre and its $44.5M start last November which then couldn’t get much past $83.5M. Same goes for The Martian, a film that included a pro-Chinese plot element, but didn’t crack $95M. Some of that is down to dating, shifting screen counts and also the strong draw of local films. Yesterday’s new entry, The Bodyguard, for example, had roughly 52K screenings compared to BvS’ 23K.

Overall, the expected drop-off this weekend internationally on BvS is expected to be on par with the U.S., perhaps slightly lower. There are school holidays in several markets and like in the U.S., but not China, precious few new offerings. Kung Fu Panda 3 expanded in some markets and has had a great start in France. Zootopia is the major challenger in some areas, including Germany and Korea.

Industry execs earlier this week predicted BvS ends its international run anywhere from $550M-$800M. That’s a big swing and a more sober view has it perhaps on either side of $675M. The reviews that didn’t hurt Supe or the Dark Knight last weekend will have made an impact in the sophomore session; and the long holiday in a lot of markets last frame was also a help.

FORBES: 'Batman V Superman' Plummets 68% For $52M Weekend

atman v Superman plunged 68.4% on its second weekend, giving it the seventh-biggest second-weekend drop for any major comic book movie on record. To wit, that’s above the 69% drops of Elektra and X-Men Origins: Wolverine, the 69.7% drops of Jonah Hex and Hulk as well as the 70.7% drop of Hellboy II (ironically one of the best comic book sequels ever) and the 78% drop for Steel back in 1997. It’s just below the 67% second-weekend drop of Man of Steel and the 68.2% drop for Fantastic Four, although that could change when tomorrow’s final numbers are released.

Now to be fair, the films still earned $52.385 million on its second weekend, which is the 26th biggest second weekend of all time. And its ten-day total sits at $261.468m, which is the 11th-biggest ten-day total of all time not adjusted for inflation. It is the ninth-biggest weekend for a comic book superhero movie ever in America and it’s in the top-15 for overall domestic grosses for said sub-genre. But this is not good news overall.

Now if we’re talking pure numbers, the film is a hit. It will probably make around $365 million domestic with an overseas total of probably around $900m, give-or-take. And the fact that its domestic total looks less mighty than it would have had Deadpool not obscenely over performed is not Batman v Superman’s fault. It’s unquestionably a box office smash. It’s not a flop, or a bomb, or even a disappointment. The only disappointment lies in its reception and its responsibility in creating excitement for what comes next.

Answer highlighted

Let me get this straight SW: TFA you consider the worst SW movie of all time.

That means two things then you must have #1 never seen the SW prequels and #2 you must consider BvS the worst movie of all time then correct?

Edited by NewWorldOrder

comScore is also calling it at 68%, weekend-to-weekend comparison.

'Batman v Superman' drops 68% in its 2nd week

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is No. 1 for a second week with $52.4 million, according to estimates from tracking service comScore. The DC Comics film, which pits the Caped Crusader (Ben Affleck) against the Last Son of Krypton (Henry Cavill), has now earned $261.5 million in just 10 days.

"It is a pretty significant drop, but this was expected," says Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst for comScore. With more $681 million worldwide, "you have to consider it a box-office winner, but on the critical front, it took a pretty hard beating. This was the poster child for that disconnect between critics and fans," who gave it a B grade on CinemaScore.

The difference between critical and fan ratings has been pointed out a few times...

I would think it's typical for movies like this to start out with more fan appeal, and then the number drop as the audiences go from being the hardcore 1st weekend fans to the general movie going public who might be less forgiving of the movie (i.e. dont have the benefit of a long love and history with the characters).

Right now it's at 29% critics, 71% fans....I thought it was a higher fan number after last weekend, anyone remember?