• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, 40sJohn said:

Comments on the effect of Rotten Tomatoes on BvS

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/03/brett-ratner-rotten-tomatoes

poor baby, make better movies and you wouldn't have to cry in your champagne. didn't realize this "genius" who tried to ruin the X-men franchise also had his hand in this steaming pile. would be fanastic if someone could calculate the negative goodwill BvS inflicted on the DCEU due to: critical drubbing, terrible word of mouth, Razzies - then we'd have a true "profit" picture

8 hours ago, paperheart said:

poor baby, make better movies and you wouldn't have to cry in your champagne. didn't realize this "genius" who tried to ruin the X-men franchise also had his hand in this steaming pile. would be fanastic if someone could calculate the negative goodwill BvS inflicted on the DCEU due to: critical drubbing, terrible word of mouth, Razzies - then we'd have a true "profit" picture

Also, he is crying over the fact that an aggregate site makes it easy for people to find all this information rather than searching it out. RT does not grade the movies, and if so many critics did not care for it, that is not RT's fault.  He is basically saying he liked it better when people were ignorant (at least in this area) and had only the 2 or 3 local critics to judge a movie on. Therefor people were more likely to go to marginal films, and the film companies had a chance of more profit on these films.  Keeping them stupid keeps them buying. It has become much easier to call anyone out for making an inferior product in the internet world (although the internet can on the flip-side make this way too easy at times), and instead of using it as a call to do better, he is looking for a scapegoat.

Meet the man who built Ben Affleck’s Batsuit for ‘Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice’

Last year at costume convention Monsterpalooza, Ironhead Studio founder Jose Fernandez set up a booth to make sure his great work was recognized. Fernandez and his team at Ironhead Studio built the costumes for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, but unfortunately they did not receive screen credit for their work.

Fernandez was back this year for Monsterpalooza (April 2017), and he brought Ben Affleck’s Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Batsuit to show off. It took about 8 months to create, from the body scan stage to the finished product. At the end of the interview, Fernandez says that he’d love to be able to work on The Batman, to create an even better Batsuit for Ben Affleck to move in.

Edited by Bosco685

BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE Now Ranks In The Top 50 On The All-Time Best Selling Blu-Ray List

Though the Man of Steel follow-up didn't perform quite as well as Warner Bros. will have hoped during its theatrical run, a year on from its home video release it's sold a whopping 2.32 million Blu-ray copies, placing it at #48 on the all-time best selling Blu-ray list for the United States.

Man of Steel currently sits at #19 with 3.29 million Blu-ray copies sold, and it's probably only a matter of time before Suicide Squad also makes the list as David Ayer's equally divisive super-villain flick has been outpacing BVS in sales since it hit Blu-ray.

hm

Gunn posting excitement about the future Shazam movie leads to a hailstorm of negative posts from MCU fans pointing out how much they hate DC movies. And of course, the main focus was BvS.

James Gunn Thinks Marvel And DC Fans Should Stop Arguing About 'Batman V Superman'

Director James Gunn is here to put a stop to the meaningless rivalry between Marvel and DC fans. In a series of tweets, the Guardians of the Galaxy helmer addressed and attempted to defuse the tense arguments among fanboys and fangirls about Batman V Superman and the competition between Marvel and DC.

The tweets came after he expressed his excitement for Zachary Levi landing the starring role in the upcoming adaptation of DC’s Shazam!

UNL6L7N.png

VBBR92J.png

CSRwCwH.png

He also grew annoyed with MCU fans when they made it a point to dance around the fake Wonder Woman WB employee letter, excited to see it fail when released. So he offered his support for successful movies from all sides.

James Gunn Loves DCEU, ‘Can’t Wait’ For Wonder Woman, Patty Jenkins Responds

Kt0pYGY.png

41 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Gunn posting excitement about the future Shazam movie leads to a hailstorm of negative posts from MCU fans pointing out how much they hate DC movies. And of course, the main focus was BvS.

James Gunn Thinks Marvel And DC Fans Should Stop Arguing About 'Batman V Superman'

UNL6L7N.png

VBBR92J.png

CSRwCwH.png

He also grew annoyed with MCU fans when they made it a point to dance around the fake Wonder Woman WB employee letter, excited to see it fail when released. So he offered his support for successful movies from all sides.

James Gunn Loves DCEU, ‘Can’t Wait’ For Wonder Woman, Patty Jenkins Responds

Kt0pYGY.png

I have to agree with him it's kind of silly. The same kind of stuff goes on between Star Wars and Star Trek fans.

45 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I have to agree with him it's kind of silly. The same kind of stuff goes on between Star Wars and Star Trek fans.

With me, it's all about the quality of the movies.

Recently, I've been revisiting that killer sy/fy arc from the 80's Star Trek II-IV. You would almost consider that Paramount's answer to Star War's continuity after "The Motion Picture" faltered.  

Do I consider Star Trek II equal to Empire Strikes Back? No, but it's pretty pretty damn good, compared to Episodes 1-3, Star Trek V and TNG movies.

Star Wars was a space western with deep roots in mythology and the Star Trek movies eventually became an aging Horatio Hornblower in space. Two different ways to get sy/fy entertainment.

I'll take both when the filmmaking is done well, the way I do with Marvel Studios and DC movies now and bring the "Snyder scorn" (page #1) when deserved. :) 

On 3/2/2017 at 3:09 PM, NewEnglandGothic said:

How dare you!

One of the only nicest things that happened to me last year from the people on here and you have to pass judgement on me (and them) because I don't like an average movie.

What do you want me to do? Send my award back to Dena, when I don't like a movie you like. Or do you want me just to scratch your name on it and forward it right to you?

What kind of "contributions" can I do on here, Bosco that would be to your liking? I have done everything within my power to brighten various people's lives when I could throughout my time here. 

I just think you are a selfish person, that has to have everything go your own way.

Every time, I consider trying to make an amends with you, you post something like this.

Well, rest assured now. I HATE YOU!

God, you make me not even want the thing anymore.

Thanks for ruining something that I thought I won for being just myself.

Sorry I missed this.

Just ignore.

It's one of the main reasons I rarely enter this sub-forum anymore.

On 3/10/2017 at 10:52 PM, jsilverjanet said:

*This movie comes on several times on cable lately and each time I watch it, I like it even more. I really like the Batman character and Wonder Woman, Superman doesn't win me over but I've never been a big Superman (boyscout) fan.  I'll keep my comments to this movie and not compare to the other ones for fear of bias etc.

I can understand the dislike of the style/take but the need to put in negative comment after negative comment anytime anything positive is said is silly. It would be nice to just have a scorecard of everyone who hates this movie so I can put a disclaimer after my posts stating that you vehemently disagree with my post.

BVS could have been 2 or 3 movies and that is what I dislike most about it.

If it was just BVS it would have been great. Maybe have WW cameo at the end. Make the Dark Knight storyline stretch out.

Make the Doomsday storyline ANOTHER two or three movies.

What I dislike is the trash that DC puts out in an effort to try to skip steps, and to an experienced movie watcher it's just cheap shortcuts.

The movie had good, if not great moments, but as a full length film it's a childish effort over all IMO.

Dawn of Justice's opening scene involved a quick recap of Batman's tragic origin where his parents were murdered by a random crook in Crime Alley, and the funeral that took place afterward. During that funeral, young Bruce Wayne runs away from the family crypt in tears, falling down that fateful hole in his yard into a hidden cave below. As young Bruce stands, we get the familiar image of him surrounded by a swarm of bats, which will serve as inspiration for his later crime-fighting persona; however in Snyder's vision, things then take a turn for the weird, as young Bruce begins to hover in the air along with the bats, floating up towards the light at the top of the hole. During that surreal moment we also get voice over from Ben Affleck's older Bruce Wayne, describing the fantastical moment as a dream he used to have, describing the light above the dark hole as a "Beautiful lie." It's an introduction to Batman v Superman's deeper thematic narrative, but like so many other things in the film, it didn't quite play right for a lot of fans.

The imagery of the "Beautiful Lie" scene slipped from the familiar into the surreal with such little warning that fans instantly felt thrown. Recently Zack Snyder himself took to social media, to answer a fan question about the moment:

I've personally written about the deep intellectual power behind Batman v Superman, and why it is so underrated. As other fans on the chat thread point out, however, commentary like this is proof positive that Snyder had a deep understanding and reverence for these characters - even if his execution of their stories didn't make the best connections with a wide variety of fans. The "Hack Snyder" or "DC Killer" hate never really made sense to fans in the know about Snyder's DC Universe knowledge - and still don't.

The detail and depth of that vision is just one reason that so many fans want the Snyder Cut of Justice League to finally be released.

Director Zack Snyder has once again offered some clarity on lingering plot points from his time directing the major films of the DC Extended Universe. In the most recent case, Snyder clarified a point from Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. The film featured a moment when Bruce Wayne, apparently in a dream, saw The Flash. Barry seemed to be trying to give Batman a warning from the future.

There’s some debate over whether this was actually The Flash reaching back from the future or some kind of figment of Bruce’s imagination, or worse. As one Vero user points out, the papers that were scattered by Flash’s presence in the “dream” are still in the air when Bruce “wakes up,” indicating that The Flash was actually present in the room.

Another Vero user chimes in that Bruce’s entire nightmare vision was somehow the work of Darkseid, the tyrant from Apokolips. The idea is that Darkseid is manipulating Batman’s fears to get the Gotham vigilante to kill Superman, making Apokolips’ invasion of Earth that much easier.

Snyder popped in with a single word - “real” - indicating that The Flash really was reaching out to give Batman a warning.

wmJCOJvjCZTloRC_VK9mR91_t6GtIaZtQUPV8xiA