• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

39 posts in this topic

^ Subterfuge! ;)
No, I can sincerely say I'm not interested in those pieces. They were genuine red flags.

Also the seller I.D.s seem to have similar elements. At first I didn't realize that it was two different sellers until I looked at the other auctions and didn't see all three under one seller.

Curious, but looks like both are legit. I guess we'll know in a week or two hm

I find all three of these auctions (2 different sellers) to be suspicious. Some similarities in their pictures and lack of general details. Along with the fact that both sellers have such a mixed bag of other items for sale. Too many red flags for me.

The FF page looks legit and is listed professionally but if you look at some of the other sellers feedback its littered with nominal sales transactions that have nothing to do with comics or OA. hm Ever notice how cheap some of the original pricing for OA from this era is [usually scribbled on the back of the pages]. The FF page was only $40 at one point and I had a cool Byrne page that has $25 written on the back. Almost makes me want to cry. :cry:

FF page really wasn't hidden it just didn't mention the artist or that it was a title splash. The other two were very vague. I was hoping they were able to stay out of the spotlight in an attempt to get one. But alas it didn't happen lol Plus it seems like everyone thought the same thing about those two auctions. :insane:

However, I have been able to get deals in the past on ebay that were in plain sight except for the title. Now I mainly go to areas that people don't think about and find stuff.

I don't get the edit either. You posted it, own up to it. :makepoint:

And those that are saying he broke some unwritten rule by posting it in the first place, do you complain to CAF when they post a piece you want in their Hot eBay Auctions section? (shrug)

lol

I just checked...all three auctions are on the CAF "Hot Ebay Auctions" in the featured section.

So the hidden thing is REALLY a moot point now.

Well, the FF splash sold for just over 3k. Not a bad deal, I'd say. I guess it goes to show that an auction doesn't have to be "hidden" to go at a reasonable price.

If the winner is reading this, congratulations on the purchase!

Hey the ASM page just went for over $3k... The annual still has two hours to go...

Sorry I got my panties in a wad, but I live about an hour away from this guy and had him talked into letting me see what he had until the prices started shooting up... Needless to say I'm sure every page he has is now starting around $3k...

Ya, I saw that too. It's a nice page but I think 3K might be above market? I've sold "plainer" early ASM JR JR pages in the 1.2K to 1.5K range, but this one is nice.

I find that sometimes people think they have a diamond in the rough (aka hidden gem) and they end up overbidding. I've seen art listed in the wrong category that goes for more than it should.

Malvin

Ya, I saw that too. It's a nice page but I think 3K might be above market? I've sold "plainer" early ASM JR JR pages in the 1.2K to 1.5K range, but this one is nice.

I find that sometimes people think they have a diamond in the rough (aka hidden gem) and they end up overbidding. I've seen art listed in the wrong category that goes for more than it should.

Malvin

The general rule is that if I want to buy it, it will sell for too much; if I'm selling it, it will sell for too little; and if I'm not interested in it, it will sell for exactly what it is worth. Probably works the same for just about everybody.

Based on the hammer prices, we might see some intentionally "hidden" auctions moving forward. Thanks to these Boards, that seller did really well on those pages.

I don't think so man... I just don' think these boards have THAT much power, for a link to be up for about 12 hours to spike the price.

Ebay is a HUGE marketplace, this board prob accounts for 2% of the OA traffic redirects and buy throughs..... and even that may be a high number....

The general rule is that if I want to buy it, it will sell for too much; if I'm selling it, it will sell for too little; and if I'm not interested in it, it will sell for exactly what it is worth. Probably works the same for just about everybody.

You should be writing fortune cookies! :grin:

Based on the hammer prices, we might see some intentionally "hidden" auctions moving forward. Thanks to these Boards, that seller did really well on those pages.

I don't think so man... I just don' think these boards have THAT much power, for a link to be up for about 12 hours to spike the price.

Ebay is a HUGE marketplace, this board prob accounts for 2% of the OA traffic redirects and buy throughs..... and even that may be a high number....

Those pages were appearing early on (before this thread) in the Ebay section of CAF. I know, because I saw them there long before seeing this thread. The number of art collectors on this board who aren't on CAF is probably not enormous. I wouldn't overstate any price bump it got from this thread, nor would I condemn the original poster. It's not like these auctions were lost in a movie poster or toy section somewhere where almost nobody interested in them would have seen them.

That said, they went for good prices despite some possible red flags. If I look at an auction and have an interest in it, I'll assess the percentage possibility that they are fraudulent. Anything over about 20% and I won't participate. I probably miss out as a result, but, on the plus side, I have bought plenty from Ebay and have never been ripped off.

I guess with OA it's all a hidden auction with eBay, hidden among and endless stream of bad drawings of butts and boobs, fake production art etc. It's a miracle any of us find anything on there:)

Yeah, I am sure that I miss a lot of stuff that isn't in the "Covers", "Splashes" or "Interior Pages" subsections. Why someone wouldn't put published comic book OA in those, I am not sure, but they do.