• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Impressive price for this Avengers 117...

28 posts in this topic

That is one MF lucky seller!!! 893whatthe.gif

There was a bit of a bidding war on that book, without which it would have gone for a hundred less. Nevertheless that would still have been 6X OS. That seller was lucky but also canny - he had steep reserves on everything, so while many items didn't reach the mark, the ones that did went for a lot.

It's not like it's a scarce book, though.

I know the seller. He's been analyzing CGC sales, and in his opinion, more people are actively seeking 9.6s or better (compulsive high grade collectors, or those upgrading their 9.4 collection). In his analysis, even 9.4 books are slowly getting cheaper, while 9.6's and better are bringing higher competitive bids. Something to think about...

That Avengers 117 in 9.6 hasn't sold since April 2003--and even then it was $176. Sounds reasonable to me... confused-smiley-013.gif

I know the seller. He's been analyzing CGC sales, and in his opinion, more people are actively seeking 9.6s or better (compulsive high grade collectors, or those upgrading their 9.4 collection). In his analysis, even 9.4 books are slowly getting cheaper, while 9.6's and better are bringing higher competitive bids. Something to think about...

That Avengers 117 in 9.6 hasn't sold since April 03--and even then it was $176. Sounds reasonable to me... confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't doubt that a bit. In my view, 9.4 is no longer considered as being "High Grade" enough by many out there. The persuit is now for the "Ubber-Grade". I only hope that, if there ever is a crash, it only takes out the top floors! VF and above is a comfortable range for me! thumbsup2.gif

Buy the book, not the label!

I don't doubt that a bit. In my view, 9.4 is no longer considered as being "High Grade" enough by many out there. The persuit is now for the "Ubber-Grade". I only hope that, if there ever is a crash, it only takes out the top floors! VF and above is a comfortable range for me! thumbsup2.gif

Totally agree, there is nothing wrong with a VF book in my collection!

That Avengers 117 in 9.6 hasn't sold since April 03--and even then it was $176. Sounds reasonable to me... confused-smiley-013.gif

As far as most Bronze is concerned, I definitely agree - 9.4 on ASM between 103 - 118 for example isn't getting the premiums it may've done at one point (due to the books being available regularly in 9.6). I wasn't casting any aspersions on the seller, just that I was surprised that a relatively minor book could command such a hefty premium. Probably scarcer in grade than I thought.

Totally agree, there is nothing wrong with a VF book in my collection!

A lot of my early FF's are 8.0's and 8.5's. Nothing wrong with that!

Wow, definitely high prices, but seems like the Avengers prices are picking up steam - I did bid on the sellers Avengers 20 9.4 and Marvel Triple Action 2 9.6, both of which didn't meet reserve. I noticed that right after the auctions were over the ones that didn't sell ended up on Comiclink. Looks like the Avenger 20 already sold for $335.

And the Avengers Annual 2 did well also.....

Avengers 117 guides for $35. I love B.A. Avengers but that's beyond what I expected...

Are you cleared for starting threads? Is this a first? stooges.gif

yeahok.gif

Seriously though, have you ever noticed how some people start loads of threads, but others never seem to start any? How many threads does Beyonder start? He's not alone, but he's a definte thread-starter. But now think of Greggy. 20000+ posts and I can't recall ever seeing a thread he has started. I could name quite a few high volume contributors who also seem to be purely thread-repliers.

I'd love to see a study comparing the microcosm of a message board against the psychological macrocosm of society as a whole. I think there's a lot of material here, if someone could be bothered to look.

And the Avengers Annual 2 did well also.....

Avengers 117 guides for $35. I love B.A. Avengers but that's beyond what I expected...

Are you cleared for starting threads? Is this a first? stooges.gif

yeahok.gif

Seriously though, have you ever noticed how some people start loads of threads, but others never seem to start any? How many threads does Beyonder start? He's not alone, but he's a definte thread-starter. But now think of Greggy. 20000+ posts and I can't recall ever seeing a thread he has started. I could name quite a few high volume contributors who also seem to be purely thread-repliers.

I'd love to see a study comparing the microcosm of a message board against the psychological macrocosm of society as a whole. I think there's a lot of material here, if someone could be bothered to look.

I knew which direction you were coming from, my over-analytical compadre. I can't deny that I've thought of that sociological angle in the past whilst on the boards. But to do a thesis on such a topic would be far too labour intensive a job, with little reward. Plus the results may make for shall we say dry reading.

That said, go for it, Gooner !!!!