• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Impressive price for this Avengers 117...

28 posts in this topic

And the Avengers Annual 2 did well also.....

Avengers 117 guides for $35. I love B.A. Avengers but that's beyond what I expected...

Are you cleared for starting threads? Is this a first? stooges.gif

yeahok.gif

Seriously though, have you ever noticed how some people start loads of threads, but others never seem to start any? How many threads does Beyonder start? He's not alone, but he's a definte thread-starter. But now think of Greggy. 20000+ posts and I can't recall ever seeing a thread he has started. I could name quite a few high volume contributors who also seem to be purely thread-repliers.

I'd love to see a study comparing the microcosm of a message board against the psychological macrocosm of society as a whole. I think there's a lot of material here, if someone could be bothered to look.

I knew which direction you were coming from, my over-analytical compadre. I can't deny that I've thought of that sociological angle in the past whilst on the boards. But to do a thesis on such a topic would be far too labour intensive a job, with little reward. Plus the results may make for shall we say dry reading.

That said, go for it, Gooner !!!!

headbang.gif

So how come you don't normally start threads then? I think this is the second I've seen, after one about a GA Captain America that skyrocketed in price in the last 5 minutes.

Avengers 117 guides for $35. I love B.A. Avengers but that's beyond what I expected...

yeahok.gif

Seriously though, have you ever noticed how some people start loads of threads, but others never seem to start any? How many threads does Beyonder start? He's not alone, but he's a definte thread-starter. But now think of Greggy. 20000+ posts and I can't recall ever seeing a thread he has started. I could name quite a few high volume contributors who also seem to be purely thread-repliers.

I'd love to see a study comparing the microcosm of a message board against the psychological macrocosm of society as a whole. I think there's a lot of material here, if someone could be bothered to look.

I knew which direction you were coming from, my over-analytical compadre. I can't deny that I've thought of that sociological angle in the past whilst on the boards. But to do a thesis on such a topic would be far too labour intensive a job, with little reward. Plus the results may make for shall we say dry reading.

headbang.gif

So how come you don't normally start threads then? I think this is the second I've seen, after one about a GA Captain America that skyrocketed in price in the last 5 minutes.

I've started a few more than two, but in all honesty I couldn't say. I should try harder.

BTW, I should hire you as a PA. Amazing the details you remember about me (not least the Swamp Thing 10 litany that I post each time those "First comic you ever read/bought/saw etc. threads come up). confused.gif

yeahok.gif

headbang.gif

I've started a few more than two, but in all honesty I couldn't say. I should try harder.

BTW, I should hire you as a PA. Amazing the details you remember about me (not least the Swamp Thing 10 litany that I post each time those "First comic you ever read/bought/saw etc. threads come up). confused.gif

I have an amazing memory for minutiae, although I can't spell the word. But I have a terrible memory for other things like names and faces. I can recite conversations from 15 years ago with word for word accuracy, but I can be in a room full of people I know desperately struggling to remember what they're called. crazy.gif

Avengers #117 is an underrated book; I've always liked it. It pits Namor and Cap, the elder statemen of the Marvel pantheon, against each other in the penultimate battle of the classic Avengers vs Defenders clash (Thor went against the Hulk in Defenders #10), fighting over a fragment of the Evil Eye (from FF #54). The Avengers and Defenders had been decieved into fighing each other by Loki and Dormammu who wanted to use the Evil Eye to draw our dimension into Dormammu's.

The setting for #117 was Japan, which was perfect for the two WW II heroes, and had an early appearance of Sunfire, the Japanese mutant version of the Human Torch, the third of the early Timely triumverate. Steve Englehart did a masterful job of setting it all up and delivering. Frank McLaughlin pitched in with some superb inks over Bob Brown on the Cap vs. Namor half of the book. I'm not sure Brown ever looked better.

1973 was the Summer I became a serious regular comic book collector, and the Avengers vs. Defenders clash was one of the reasons why. Does anyone know if it's ever been collected in a Treasury of any sort?

Nice post. I'm the guy who bought this comic. Honestly, it was a bit more than I hoped to pay but a rabid Silver Surfer collector bid me up at the end :-) Still, I'm OK with the deal for a couple reasons.

One, the Avengers/Defenders War was one of the most memorable events of my early collecting years and I want to put together a set for nostalgia reasons. Collect what you love is one of my mottos.

Two, this book is a beauty. I do think that the future premiums will be on books in 9.6 or better condition. Buy the best condition you can afford is another one of my mottos.

I'm still looking for Avengers 115, Avengers 116 and Defenders 11 if you want to help me finish my dream set.

I'm still looking for Avengers 115, Avengers 116 and Defenders 11 if you want to help me finish my dream set.

If only I had them books. As you say the Avengers/Defenders war by Englehart was a popular story arc, so completing it in 9.6 or better will be tough, based on further research.