• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where are they now?

9 posts in this topic

The original X-men...

I read this excerpt from a recent journal posted by wardevil0...

I progressed into the Marvel Universe at about the time of Secret Wars, and gravitated heavily toward the XBooks. I kept this up for about ten years, but by 1995 had quit comics completely. In mid 2001, the revitalization of Marvel with JMS on Amazing Spiderman, Grant Morrison on New XMen, and Joe Casey on Uncanny XMen brought me back. Since then, Ive transitioned fully to DC for new books. I just don't feel that Marvel is putting out comics that reach me. Ever since Civil War the Marvel characters have been strangers.

Is wadevil0 right, have the original Xmen changed that much in recent years. He may be right. Lets take a look at where they are now...

Professor X... killed by an angry, Phoenix corrupted Cyclops in Avengers vs. Xmen 11, November 2012. As if this werent enough of a travesty, lets desecrate the mans memory by allowing the Red Skull to then take the brain of Professor X and fuse it with his own so that he can tap his mutant telepathy and use it for his own evil ends. Seriously, it happened in Uncanny Avengers 1, December 2012. I blame Joe Quesada for allowing this to happen...shameful.

Cyclops...corrupted by the dark Phoenix force, kills Professor X for trying to stop him from remaking the world in his own image in Avengers vs. Xmen 11, November 2012. His mutant powers are now broken...an ill effect of the Phoenix force, and he is on the run from SHIELD and the Avengers who want him to answer for his crimes. So, he decides to partner with Emma Frost and Magneto to start a school for new mutants which he christens...wait for it...Xaviers School for Gifted Youngsters in Uncanny Xmen 1, April 2013. So you kill the man, take no accountability for your actions, and then start a new school using his name. I have no idea what Cyclops is about anymore, and I cannot bring myself to root for him...at all.

Jean Grey, Marvel Girl...tricked by a Magneto imposter named Xorn, to end up trapped on Asteroid M as it drifted into the sun where she died in New Xmen 150, February 2004. It is believed she is still alive somewhere in something called the White Hot Room where the Phoenix force resides. More to come Im sure as Jean, thankfully, refuses to remain dead for long.

Angel...had his wings first removed by the Marauders in Thor 373, November, 1986, and replaced by artificial blades in XFactor 24, January, 1988. The metal blades broke off to reveal real wings underneath in Uncanny Xmen 338, November, 1996. Had his real wings ripped off again, this time by a mind controlled Wolfsbane, before his techno organic metal wings grew back in XForce 4, July, 2008. It was revealed that he could now change at will from Angel with feather wings, to Archangel with metal wings any time he chooses...I like this concept. Is then stabbed by Psylocke with the Life Seed in Uncanny XForce 16, December, 2011, and thought dead but in reality just has an amnesia of sorts as he does not know who he is or who any of the other Xmen are...seems to think he is a real Angel who is supposed to help people.

Iceman...still an Xman and currently a professor at The Jean Grey School of Higher Learning under headmaster Wolverine. Also in the early stages of a romantic relationship with Kitty Pride, aka Sprite. Gotta love that Iceman at least has retained those things that make him such a fun character.

Beast...still an Xman and currently a professor at The Jean Grey School of Higher Learning under headmaster Wolverine. Unfortunately he has also recently mutated into blue furred ape like state in All New Xmen 5, March 2013...which wouldnt be so bad if he had Hulk like strength or something cool like that to go with it, but no such luck. Brian Michael Bendis has earned my trust though with All New Xmen so we will see what happens there.

Lets face it, most of the writers of today have totally jacked up these characters. Its no wonder Bendis wanted to bring back the original Xmen from their youth, now appearing in All New Xmen. We long for a simpler time, and the innocence of these great characters who, although they faced many obstacles, never lost the sense of who they were individually and as a team. I for one will be sad to see the young Xmen go back to their own time, as they inevitably must, and hope their older selves learn some lessons from the experience. The ultimate for me would be to see the original Xmen of today reunite on the same team, order and powers restored to normal, and watch them take hold of Xaviers dream once again.

Til next time...

14296.jpg

See more journals by surfer99

Wow... I had no idea so much has changed in the X-men mythos. And I really don't like many of these changes especially with Prof X and Scott Summers... but I understand. With long running characters you have to "shake up the tree"... rip 'em apart and them put them back together to get a fresh perspective.

But alas, as a X-men fanboy I am so stuck in the 70's and 80's.

Thanks for bringing me up to speed!

SW3D

I actually like how things have been going. It would be insanely boring to see the characters remain the same after all this time. I haven't really been on cyclops' side since Schism. But I do understand his motivations. I do think he needs to answer for killing Xavier but being possessed by a force that led Jean to wipe out an entire solar system does kind of explain why he'd lose it and do something he may normally not have.

I don't think its shameful that they had Skull do what he did. Its great in that it makes his character just as diabolical and evil as ever. That he would desecrate a well respected character to further his hate campaign, makes him a great villian. Of course we all know at some point he'll lose and Charles will come back.

I did like Angel being able to switch his personas on demand. But just like cyclops he wasn't able to control himself and he paid the price.

But it is a great story seeing the originals juxtaposed with their current counterparts. I can't wait to see how the Battle of the Atom crossover ends.

My dissatisfaction with Marvel has really grown across the board, not just with the X-Men. Maybe I'm just stuck in the glory of the 80s, but I seem to remember a time when you could have character devlopment and interesting stories without completely going berserk. A few of the most significant stories that have driven me away from Marvel:

o Civil War. Most of the Marvel Universe is split between either following Iron Man or Captain America. Here's a tip: if you are in a fight and realize that Captain America is on the other side, you might need to re-evaluate your life choices.

o One More Day. The character who taught us that with great power comes great responsibility makes a deal with the devil. When no one can save Aunt May, including Doctor Strange and Reed Richards (who may have had at least one Infinity Gem at this time), there is one more option: the powers of evil! It was so senseless that there had to be a follow-on explanation in One Moment in Time. This time, Doctor Strange was able to save Aunt May by doing something he was unable to do the first time, or this situation would never have happened. All the best aspects of storytelling: unexplainable magic, time travel paradoxes, deus ex machina!

o Colossus as Juggernaut/Kitty Pryde dating Iceman. Sense, this makes none. Peter got her name tattooed across his chest when he thought she was dead, but if she's back then it's no big deal. I don't even know what's happening here. Illyana's sword can defeat the Juggernaut? Odd how that never came up in the previous 30 years of her character development.

o Norman Osborne. I'm still not over the fact that he apparently knocked up Gwen Stacy. That's really creepy. Plus, he's not dead (but she is). Despite the fact that he is a known felon, he is appointed to head Thunderbolts, then SHIELD. I guess Marvel felt like they needed a Lex Luthor figure?

There are lots more, but I can't imagine anyone is interested in my grumbling. I choose not to buy new Marvel, but I'm pretty happy with my DC, Vertigo, Image, and Antarctic options. I still pursue Marvel back issues, but current Marvel is a wasteland to me, similar to the mid 90s.

Did you read X-Men: The Hidden Years? It was the closest thing to a real X-Men book in years.

I gave up reading the X-Men in 2000 after having read it for over 20 years. It was very difficult to let go, but I found I didn't like the characters or stories anymore. Reading some of your recaps I know I made a wise choice. To this day though, I still miss the "real" X-Men :(

Did you read X-Men: The Hidden Years? It was the closest thing to a real X-Men book in years.

I gave up reading the X-Men in 2000 after having read it for over 20 years. It was very difficult to let go, but I found I didn't like the characters or stories anymore. Reading some of your recaps I know I made a wise choice. To this day though, I still miss the "real" X-Men :(

Yeah, that was a good series all around. It felt a little slow at times, but I didn't care because this was the real X-men and they were in their element.

I also disagree that you have to totally tear apart the characters and team to keep them relevent/interesting. That's lazy storytelling in my opinion...even if the characters have been around 50 years, there are always villains (new and old) that are fun to trash again and again! I would love to see a rematch with the Mauraders, Hellfire Club (not the lame baby version either), Apocalypse...dude, those never get old, and I was stoked to see the new Sentinels!

sig.jpg

Coming into this whole Marvel "X-Men" universe late (2010) might have been a blessing?!?! I can honestly say, the recent years have been the most fulfilling to READ. I loved the Avengers Vs. X-Men and as far as Cyclops is concerned, I couldn't even begin to understand his reactions after Xavier... but, I still find it totally interesting. I would say, All New X-Men, is definitely the best right now! But... I haven't read everything, X-Men, yet. The original X-Men series has some great stories, The Phoenix Saga & Days of Future Past being the top two, in my book. After Claremont's ride it lessens considerably, for me. I did read the House of M prior to AVX, but have yet to tackle Civil War & Secret Wars. (Yeah, I'm catching up slowly...)

Personally, I'm more of a Guardians of the Galaxy / Nova fan. The new series have got me reading Thanos Rising, I've gone back to Annihilation, Conquest, etc... There's some AWESOME stuff in the past 10 years!

Surfer,

Thanks for the summary, I had no idea! I picked up New X-Men Omnibus years ago, I was excited to read Grant Morrison's run. Honestly, I was disappointed, I was able to sell the handsome hardback for a nice price. I did read Astonishing X-Men Vol. 1 and loved the series, I meant to pick up Vol. 2 to finish the series but never got to it, I see there is an omnibus for this that might be worth getting.

I did read the Spider-Man story 5 or 6 years that Garlanda mentioned, about Norman Osborne and Gwen Stacy, I was so not cool with that!

I'm also not cool with the whole 'second mutation' concept. I understand changes are necessary, what if Beast never changed in the early '70s? Would he be as interesting of a character? Maybe not. I'm still not used to Emma Frost with her second mutation, an outer diamond shell?!

I have not read any recent comics, so I'll try not to rush to judgment but it all seems too complicated. Also, how many times has Phoenix died and resurrected? I guess I should expect no less from a character named Phoenix...

Brandon

P.S. I can't help but notice whenever I look at an X-Men book slabbed, the label seems to always note the first appearance of someone. When I look at my Action Comics slabs and find a majority of the CGC labels blank on the right side, I kinda feel let down. ;)