• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spawn or Deadpool who is the king of the 1990s for new character?

188 posts in this topic

I would say the king of 90's would actually have to have been a KING IN THE 90's.  I'm pretty sure that's Spawn, who was part of a revolution in REAL TIME.

On 3/20/2017 at 0:11 PM, revat said:

I would say the king of 90's would actually have to have been a KING IN THE 90's.  I'm pretty sure that's Spawn, who was part of a revolution in REAL TIME.

That's funny that we would debate Deadpool vs. Spawn as "KING IN THE 90's"... since it was probably Venom. lol

17 hours ago, maraxusofkeld said:

I think a debate could be made for Cable as well.

Maybe... but Cable in the 1990s was easily 4th (or lower) in my memory.  Spawn, Venom, and Deadpool had many, many more comics produced and articles written.

Edited by valiantman

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

Maybe... but Cable in the 1990s was easily 4th (or lower) in my memory.  Spawn, Venom, and Deadpool had many, many more comics produced and articles written.

Cable had a solo title with 75 issues sporting a 90s cover date, not to mention that he was a main character in New Mutants (14 issues) and X-Force (57 issues), plus the Annuals and minis and one-shots. Then there are the crossovers and guest appearances (quick count: around 100) outside of Cable/New Mutants/X-Force.

Spawn had 90 issues with a 90s cover date. He had fairly limited crossovers and guest appearances, but he also spawned :shy: some spinoff characters and titles.

Deadpool didn't get an ongoing title until 1997 and, even including the 36 issues of that series, only had around 90 90s appearances.

Venom may have peaked in the 90s, but he isn't a 90s character so he isn't relevant to this thread. Anyway, even at his short peak he only barely surpassed Cable's decade-long monthly appearance average.