• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spawn or Deadpool who is the king of the 1990s for new character?

188 posts in this topic

I think Spawn was king in the 90's, and as far as I'm concerned, he's a more complicated, interesting, and enjoyable character. Deadpool is a foolish clown. I agree with what a boardie said earlier in this thread: if I somehow obtained a copy of NM 98, for cheap, I would get it graded, signed and flip it so fast it'll make Deadpool's head explode.

I've got a copy of Spawn #1 and I'm waiting to have it graded and signed. I will never flip that book just for some quick cash. For me, its a classic with history attached. (thumbs u

I've got a copy of Spawn #1 and I'm waiting to have it graded and signed. I will never flip that book just for some quick cash. For me, its a classic with history attached. (thumbs u

I still have very fond memories of first reading Spawn 1-13, and thinking this had so much potential to be a super paranormal/folklore/fables book. If only McFarlane can find someone like a Gaiman or Willingham to deliver that promise, with a deeper storyline.

But I still have my Spawn 1-13 set for that very reason. It was good reading, and amazing artwork.

I still say Spawn will be considered king of the 1990s because frankly more people from the 1990s remember the Spawn comics, videogames, movie,HBO animated show and action figures then NM #98.

The 1990s crowds are just about to start to get nostalgic for Spawn. Spawn has a bigger more diverse nostalgic fan base to build upon then Deadpool long-term. IMHO.

I think that if McFarlane would let someone else take over as writer for Spawn that interest in the character would be on the rise again.

The story is slow and convoluted and doesn't really provide a good jumping on point for someone who has never read Spawn, or hasn't read Spawn in a long time.

Heck, the letters column in the book presently isn't even about the story. It's 99% fanboys asking Todd questions about his work 20+ years ago and about action figures. I only buy the book for future speculation. The print run is low and later issues of the run are always hard to find in high grade.

I think there's a great character in Spawn, but for some reason (pride maybe?) McFarlane is sort of letting it wither away.

I think Spawn has over the years provided broader appeal in media than Deadpool, but that will or could change if Deadpool is given a proper movie treatment.

In the 90s, it was Spawn by leagues and bounds.

Now, it's definitely Deadpool.

Spawn just feels stale. I think so many hung on for the first 100. Today, that would be almost unfathomable.

Sad part is that the new Deadpool series is the worst. And that's saying alot.

Patrick

I would say Spawn had more influence as it allowed McFarlane to branch out and redefine other markets like the toy industry. McFarlane wanted to see Spawn figures on the shelves but did not like what the companies were turning out.

He decided to make his own toy company. That in turn led to everything for Horror Classics to Sports Figures.

Spawn has had far more of an impact than Deadpool in my opinion. When I think of Image, I think of Spawn.

Looking back Spawn was a real force back in the 90's. Live action movies, HBO TV show, #1 selling book, etc... The only thing that killed the momentum was the weak stories and writing and many people jumped ship when McFarlane stopped pencils to concentrate on the success of his business ventures.

Maybe Spawn will make some kind of nostalgic comeback but at this time I doubt it. I really don't see how they can make him relevant now.

Deadpool has eclipsed almost every character these days, maybe not to us hardcore fans but every little kid/Hot Topic Girl and even parent knows Deadpool and has a bit of a thing for him.

Would love to see Spawn make a comeback, just as I'd like to see Venom in his non Agent Form come back and mess with Peter a bit.

Looking back Spawn was a real force back in the 90's. Live action movies, HBO TV show, #1 selling book, etc... The only thing that killed the momentum was the weak stories and writing and many people jumped ship when McFarlane stopped pencils to concentrate on the success of his business ventures.

Maybe Spawn will make some kind of nostalgic comeback but at this time I doubt it. I really don't see how they can make him relevant now.

Agreed. While the character has diminished, the impact that the character had on the industry has not. There are too many things that "spawn money" created or influenced. I see Deadpool (at this time) a more popular and marketable character but has not had the overall impact that Spawn has.

I also agree that Harley Quinn is probably the best bet out of all three, but that was never in the original question was it?

Edited by Buzzetta

I don't think ANY of them are particularly "king-ish."

You've got Turtles for the 80's, Wolvie for the 70's, Spidey for the 60's, Flash for the 50's, Cap for the 40's, and Supes for the 30's.

None of the 90's folks even come close to the type of saturation that the others do.

SONIC is more far-reaching than DP or Spawn. Sure, IN the 90's, Spawn was king...but no one has cared about Spawn for nearly 20 years. How can you claim to be the "king" when everyone's forgotten about you...?

If Spawn is brought up, the question is "oh, is that still being published?"

And I don't know how you can say the same for Harley, a character who was virtually ignored for nearly 20 years, too.

What IS/ARE the breakout character(s) of the 90's....? Do they compare at ALL with the breakout characters of previous decades?

Doesn't that really capture the problem at large for the decade...?

I don't think ANY of them are particularly "king-ish."

You've got Turtles for the 80's, Wolvie for the 70's, Spidey for the 60's, Flash for the 50's, Cap for the 40's, and Supes for the 30's.

None of the 90's folks even come close to the type of saturation that the others do.

SONIC is more far-reaching than DP or Spawn. Sure, IN the 90's, Spawn was king...but no one has cared about Spawn for nearly 20 years. How can you claim to be the "king" when everyone's forgotten about you...?

If Spawn is brought up, the question is "oh, is that still being published?"

And I don't know how you can say the same for Harley, a character who was virtually ignored for nearly 20 years, too.

What IS/ARE the breakout character(s) of the 90's....? Do they compare at ALL with the breakout characters of previous decades?

Doesn't that really capture the problem at large for the decade...?

all brilliant points sir. going forward I think its Harley, but as you said, she was dollar bin fodder for years and years.

by this criteria, I almost think Bone might be in contention. its always been collectable, and with it being constantly in print, it may have held up the best

by this criteria, I almost think Bone might be in contention. its always been collectable, and with it being constantly in print, it may have held up the best

Yeah, I agree. It really does typify the era, does it not?

The era of mediocrity at best.

:(

Deadpool has eclipsed almost every character these days, maybe not to us hardcore fans but every little kid/Hot Topic Girl and even parent knows Deadpool and has a bit of a thing for him.

Would love to see Spawn make a comeback, just as I'd like to see Venom in his non Agent Form come back and mess with Peter a bit.

How's it going Symbi?

The 1990s crowds are just about to start to get nostalgic for Spawn. Spawn has a bigger more diverse nostalgic fan base to build upon then Deadpool long-term. IMHO.

Here I am! :)

I was 9-10 years old when I held Spawn #1 in my hands for the first time, and in that moment Marvel & DC were forgotten as if they had never existed.

Fast forward 22 years...

In 2013, aged 31, I decided I needed a new hobby...

The Result:

1. Spawn #1 CGC SS 9.8

2. The Maxx #1 GITD CGC SS 9.8 (x2 from Sam's personal collection)

3. Pitt #1 CGC SS 9.8

4. Shadowhawk #1 CGC SS 9.8

5. Savage Dragon Limited Series #1, Regular Series #1, vs Megaton Man #1 Gold all in CGC SS 9.8

6. Prophet #1 CGC SS 9.8

7. Youngblood #1 CGC SS 9.8

8. Cyber Force Limited Series #1 CGC SS 9.8, Regular Series #1 Gold CGC 9.8

9. Codename: Stryke Force #1 Blue CGC SS 9.8

10. WildCATS #1 GOLD CGC SS 9.8

which led to a second short box full including all this stuff in my sig line!

all because of Spawn #1.

None of this matters though since we're talking about THE KING OF THE NINETIES!

MaxxBlack_zps43dce17f.jpg

Edited by TXReplicant