• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950s MAD wannabes
2 2

49 posts in this topic

I had never heard of "Get Lost." They really nailed the Mad themes. Harvey Kurtzman started Humbug sometime after Feldstein took over editing Mad. For some reason, I find the 1950's Mad's more interesting and funny than Humbug. I did not like Humbug so much. I just picked up the new issue of Mad from Barnes and Noble yesterday- planned on giving it to my daughter in 6th grade. However, I threw it away after reading it. I thought it was inappropriate and mostly not at all funny. Very disappointed. Not nearly as clever as the early Mads (the first magazine, issue 23 I believe, is genius) or even the ones I remember as a kid in the 70's.

141289.jpg.759adefd26055e5170f4c82cca485b18.jpg

Edited by TheSurgeon

I had never heard of "Get Lost." They really nailed the Mad themes. Harvey Kurtzman started Humbug sometime after Feldstein took over editing Mad. For some reason, I find the 1950's Mad's more interesting and funny than Humbug. I did not like Humbug so much. I just picked up the new issue of Mad from Barnes and Noble yesterday- planned on giving it to my daughter in 6th grade. However, I threw it away after reading it. I thought it was inappropriate and mostly not at all funny. Very disappointed. Not nearly as clever as the early Mads (the first magazine, issue 23 I believe, is genius) or even the ones I remember as a kid in the 70's.

The Mad of the last decade or so is completely puerile compared to its 60s / 70s heyday. Shame.

I thought it was inappropriate
Inappropriate for all ages is a good way to sum up the current state of Mad.

I didn't know MAD was still being published. CRACKED survives at least on the web, with a couple of clever writers carrying on the spirit of Kurtzman. I don't know if they have an actual magazine though.

Anybody got scans to the early MAD magazine (not comic) imitators? Lunatickle was one.