• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Farlaine the Goblin : Self Published Comic Book
2 2

168 posts in this topic

Howdy gang!

The latest volume, Farlaine the Goblin ~ Book 5: The Vaultlands,  is in the March Previews this month!  (Diamond Code: MAR172021)

Here's a short 10-page preview if you'd like to check out the series Graphic Policy calls "the best comic I've read all week": https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/MAR172021

But what makes this exciting for the collecting community is that I managed to get a Skottie Young variant cover, which will me mixed in at a 1:3 ratio.

As my fun ads like to point out, this will probably be one of the rarer Skottie variants since this is a self-published book with a tiny print run under 1500 total copies. (So maybe there will be 500 copies of this variant?)

Luckily, it should also be pretty easy to attain right now - just contact your local comic shop and pre-order 3 copies of the book!

Enjoy:)

Main Cover:

Farlaine5-Normal-Cover.thumb.jpg.05e53edb742b7710a9b68398d6ef9c11.jpg

Skottie Young Variant:

Farlaine5-SkottieYoung-VariantCover.thumb.jpg.8afb2dc552a7cc399c5cd3d6be0a4a4d.jpg

Fun ads:

farlaine-book5-diamond-ad-final.thumb.jpg.0484b8f42efb83caf0214f45208b41ec.jpg

leaderboard-ad1.jpg.beea4a98fa6dff2da0edb0ac90c7dd95.jpg

On 3/3/2017 at 10:57 PM, FarlaineTheGoblin said:

Howdy gang!

The latest volume, Farlaine the Goblin ~ Book 5: The Vaultlands,  is in the March Previews this month!  (Diamond Code: MAR172021)

Here's a short 10-page preview if you'd like to check out the series Graphic Policy calls "the best comic I've read all week": https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/MAR172021

But what makes this exciting for the collecting community is that I managed to get a Skottie Young variant cover, which will me mixed in at a 1:3 ratio.

As my fun ads like to point out, this will probably be one of the rarer Skottie variants since this is a self-published book with a tiny print run under 1500 total copies. (So maybe there will be 500 copies of this variant?)

Luckily, it should also be pretty easy to attain right now - just contact your local comic shop and pre-order 3 copies of the book!

Main Cover:

Farlaine5-Normal-Cover.thumb.jpg.05e53edb742b7710a9b68398d6ef9c11.jpg

Skottie Young Variant:

Farlaine5-SkottieYoung-VariantCover.thumb.jpg.8afb2dc552a7cc399c5cd3d6be0a4a4d.jpg

Fun ads:

farlaine-book5-diamond-ad-final.thumb.jpg.0484b8f42efb83caf0214f45208b41ec.jpg

leaderboard-ad1.jpg.beea4a98fa6dff2da0edb0ac90c7dd95.jpg

At this point isn't the name known enough to get over 1500?

2 hours ago, the blob said:

At this point isn't the name known enough to get over 1500?

I wish! Most people have never heard of the series. And sadly most stores don't order indie comics, let alone ones that come out on infrequent schedules and don't fit in a longbox.

I'm hoping a Skottie Young cover helps sell a few more books, but I'm not expecting to see a large surge in orders. Maybe I print 2000 vs 1500 if I'm lucky?

And FYI, 1500 was my print run on the last book, not how many sold through Diamond.

My goal has always been to tell a great story and give it my all. Maybe when the series is complete more people will give it a try.

7 hours ago, FarlaineTheGoblin said:

I wish! Most people have never heard of the series. And sadly most stores don't order indie comics, let alone ones that come out on infrequent schedules and don't fit in a longbox.

I'm hoping a Skottie Young cover helps sell a few more books, but I'm not expecting to see a large surge in orders. Maybe I print 2000 vs 1500 if I'm lucky?

And FYI, 1500 was my print run on the last book, not how many sold through Diamond.

My goal has always been to tell a great story and give it my all. Maybe when the series is complete more people will give it a try.

i just remember the buzz when it first came out, buy maybe that was just here and on ebay.  I wish you success.  Skottie Young should help.

On 3/3/2017 at 7:57 PM, FarlaineTheGoblin said:

Howdy gang!

Skottie Young Variant:

First time I've heard of this series (in fairness, I didn't really get into American comics until late last year).

I don't care about rarity but I do love Skottie Young variants and this looks amazing! Definitely buying 3 and picking up the first 4 issues through comiXology. :D

9 hours ago, the blob said:

i just remember the buzz when it first came out, buy maybe that was just here and on ebay.  I wish you success.  Skottie Young should help.

The book got some early press from the investing community after Hoknes Comics posted about it. And those true first prints are still going for solid money if you can find them(most people have the Fire Printing, which was basically a 2nd print after a fire destroyed most of the originals).

The series has gotten great reviews and the fanbase is certainly growing, but sadly I'm only one person without a publisher or huge marketing budget, so it's a slow process. Hopefully the Skottie cover brings some attention:)

8 hours ago, the authority said:

Fun book. The preview looks like more of the same and that's a good thing. Glad to see you back in action. (thumbsu

I'm never not in action, I'm just slow:) My goal has always been to make the best books I can, not just rush out something on a monthly basis! Hopefully you enjoy The Vaultlands!

Oh, and Books 6-7 should also be out this year, wrapping up the series.

7 hours ago, aerischan said:

First time I've heard of this series (in fairness, I didn't really get into American comics until late last year).

I don't care about rarity but I do love Skottie Young variants and this looks amazing! Definitely buying 3 and picking up the first 4 issues through comiXology. :D

Great! Thank you! It should be a fun printed cover too. I don't think there are going to be titles on it, just a huge Skottie image:) I hope you enjoy the series!

Sadly, Comixology is a garbage scam and I don't post on there anymore. They have a trade of the first 3 issues and that's it.

Amazon has the first 4 books though, in print and on Kindle!

"And those true first prints are still going for solid money if you can find them(most people have the Fire Printing, which was basically a 2nd print after a fire destroyed most of the originals)."

How do we distinguish them?

1 hour ago, FarlaineTheGoblin said:

Great! Thank you! It should be a fun printed cover too. I don't think there are going to be titles on it, just a huge Skottie image:) I hope you enjoy the series!

Sadly, Comixology is a garbage scam and I don't post on there anymore. They have a trade of the first 3 issues and that's it.

Amazon has the first 4 books though, in print and on Kindle!

Ah, ok. Will get them from Amazon Kindle, then. :) 

2 hours ago, the blob said:

"And those true first prints are still going for solid money if you can find them(most people have the Fire Printing, which was basically a 2nd print after a fire destroyed most of the originals)."

How do we distinguish them?

Here's a handful of identifying features to look for:

How can I tell the difference between the First Printing and the Fire Printing?

• Flip the book over and look at the dates for the upcoming issues. The First printing says September/October, whereas the Fire printing was updated to October/December. 
  • It also is indicated on the information page in the indicia. 
  • The First printing of the book had page numbers. 
  • The Fire printing has a B&W copy of the cover as the final page. 
  • The margins are much wider in the Fire printing.

Hope this helps!

Howdy gang!

The time has come!

Farlaine the Goblin ~ Book 6:The Winglands is in Previews this month!! Variant painted cover by the great Larry MacDougall!

You can order it from your Local Comic Shop with Previews Code JAN181897, or order a copy online at places like Midtown Comics/Forbidden Planet!

Pre-ordering indie books helps a TON, so if you support Farlaine, please consider it!

Here's an advance preview of the book:

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/JAN181897

Midtown Comics:

http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=FARLAINE+THE+GOBLIN+%236_1709811

Forbidden Planet:

https://forbiddenplanet.com/240755-farlaine-the-goblin-6/

Hope you enjoy:)

Farlaine-6-Cover.thumb.jpg.575d51ca385a0424ff12f13c67fb5d27.jpg

Farlaine-6-Variant.thumb.jpg.803e0ef4812c47a8bb9da59d39da7b3a.jpg

man oh man, sure missed out on this initially! So glad David Petersen posted his art for variant cover coming up, otherwise might have never discovered this treasure. Love the story behind the original first print (as long as no one was hurt during the fire)

Can't wait for issue 6 & 7 coming soon

Today's the day!!

Book 6:The Winglands is in stores!

Amazon is already sold out, but your local comic shop may not be! And you can always order books from www.farlaine.com direct and I'll even sign and doodle in em!

1:3 Variant cover by Larry MacDougall.

Thanks to everyone who supports the series! Only one more book to go...

Farlaine.com: http://www.farlaine.com/p/buy-more-copies.html

Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/Farlaine-Goblin-Book-Winglands/dp/0989005860/

PS - I'm thinking of splitting a second book of original art. Thus far only Book 4 has been split and sold, so if you were interested in a page of OA, feel free to message me.

Farlaine-6-Cover.thumb.jpg.24c085e125ba399241a419f6367ef6b2.jpg

Farlaine-6-Variant.thumb.jpg.14a46b9f1dac2890ff1146dbd06af3f3.jpg

Edited by FarlaineTheGoblin