• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first ugly experience with Ebay's Global Shipping

28 posts in this topic

I'm in Toronto. The seller is in the US.

I went to check out, and I'm being hit with a $188 "Import charge". Plus the $33.58 shipping fee.

Suddenly my $1338 auction win is costing me $1560.

:frustrated:

If I ask the seller nicely, is there any way he can change it and remove the Global Shipping charge? Or is this a fait accompli?

I'm at my wits end with the Global Shipping program. Me and sellers in the USA have mutually decided to cancel auctions with unexpectedly different shipping charges and seemingly even higher import charges. This has happend 4 times in the last 2 weeks. The seller's did not want to do an 'offline' invoice because they worried about losing seller's protection from eBay. I don't really blame them.

What is not realized is that import charges are applied to EVERY little auction price even its only a couple of bucks! And the charges seem to be over 10-12% on the auction price. A regular mail parcel that goes into Canada typically never has duty and taxes applied to it if its under $100 in value. And if there is taxes applied for over the $100 mark then its for only 5% (in Alberta for me). But the GSP (is it Pitney Bowes?) makes these import charges up with no breakdown and could possibly pocket much of the cash for themselves. I wonder how much even makes it to Canada Customs!

I don't mind paying the duty and taxes that I owe when the time comes but dishing out even more money to a 3rd party corporation for no good rhyme or reason steams me to no end.

My eBay buying is effectively and severely dropped right off.

I'll be conducting much more business with some of the auction houses and with you nice people on the CGC forums :)

The way to get around the Global Shipping program is for the buyer to "request total" after the auction's end (go to the won auction's drop-down, request total). That will cancel out the GSP, and the seller can send you a new invoice and send to you directly. Not all sellers offer this though, so I would send a message first.

I make sure and uncheck the "Send it to the US shipping center, and the rest will be taken care of for you" box whenever I list anything. Ebay checks it automatically even if you're shell listing you're using didn't have it. I have a couple books up now that I realized I had left it checked and hastily revised the listing. You need to remember to uncheck that box every time.

I'm at my wits end with the Global Shipping program. Me and sellers in the USA have mutually decided to cancel auctions with unexpectedly different shipping charges and seemingly even higher import charges. This has happend 4 times in the last 2 weeks. The seller's did not want to do an 'offline' invoice because they worried about losing seller's protection from eBay. I don't really blame them.

What is not realized is that import charges are applied to EVERY little auction price even its only a couple of bucks! And the charges seem to be over 10-12% on the auction price. A regular mail parcel that goes into Canada typically never has duty and taxes applied to it if its under $100 in value. And if there is taxes applied for over the $100 mark then its for only 5% (in Alberta for me). But the GSP (is it Pitney Bowes?) makes these import charges up with no breakdown and could possibly pocket much of the cash for themselves. I wonder how much even makes it to Canada Customs!

I don't mind paying the duty and taxes that I owe when the time comes but dishing out even more money to a 3rd party corporation for no good rhyme or reason steams me to no end.

I'll be conducting much more business with some of the auction houses and with you nice people on the CGC forums :)

Each and every package I import is charged customs whether it is 10.00 or 10,000.00 :(

I think they are on to me....

Each and every package I import is charged customs whether it is 10.00 or 10,000.00 :(

I think they are on to me....

greggy sold you out to the authorities. :gossip:

:insane:

Anybody in Australia got any experiences to share with GSP yet?

We only pay import charges if the item is over $1000 in value so if I stay under that how can they justify charging an import fee.

The reason I ask is that there are auctions for one slab stating that shipping through the GSP will cost me $20 and another auction different seller still one slab for $40.

I don't sell on Ebay very often and previously have never shipped internationally so I was pretty confused when I saw people from Israel and Mexico bidding on some of my items. Thankfully all auctions ended with US bidders winning so I didn't have to mess with this and now I just have to keep my eyes open for that pesky check box.