My first ugly experience with Ebay's Global Shipping
2 2

28 posts in this topic

3,814 posts

I'm in Toronto. The seller is in the US.

I went to check out, and I'm being hit with a $188 "Import charge". Plus the $33.58 shipping fee.

Suddenly my $1338 auction win is costing me $1560.

:frustrated:

If I ask the seller nicely, is there any way he can change it and remove the Global Shipping charge? Or is this a fait accompli?

3,532 posts

cant remove it unless the seller opts out of the program. have the seller send you an invoice through paypal. complete the transaction off ebay.

6,891 posts

I'm not sure you can do it after the item has been sold. I have removed this option from my existing listings since Ebay thinks this should be the default.

9,178 posts
cant remove it unless the seller opts out of the program. have the seller send you an invoice through paypal. complete the transaction off ebay.

The way to do it... Ive done it like that twice already no problems

3,814 posts

Solved.

I have a US "address" at the UPS store in Lewiston NY. I'm getting him to ship it there instead. I go down there once a month or so to pick up my packages. I'll bring it across the border myself.

2,299 posts

Ebay's global shipping plan is one of the worst things ever. If I see it on the list I don't even look at the item anymore. Total rip off!

3,814 posts

I'll be making far more use of my Lewiston shipping address.

2,859 posts

I absolutely love the import charge that they keep if there aint one. its sad that the seller doesn't even know about this most of the time. make no mistake, its ebay screwing everyone, not the sellers

85,882 posts

I remember when international shipping via Ebay was so much simpler.

:(

667 posts

I'm at my wits end with the Global Shipping program. Me and sellers in the USA have mutually decided to cancel auctions with unexpectedly different shipping charges and seemingly even higher import charges. This has happend 4 times in the last 2 weeks. The seller's did not want to do an 'offline' invoice because they worried about losing seller's protection from eBay. I don't really blame them.

What is not realized is that import charges are applied to EVERY little auction price even its only a couple of bucks! And the charges seem to be over 10-12% on the auction price. A regular mail parcel that goes into Canada typically never has duty and taxes applied to it if its under $100 in value. And if there is taxes applied for over the $100 mark then its for only 5% (in Alberta for me). But the GSP (is it Pitney Bowes?) makes these import charges up with no breakdown and could possibly pocket much of the cash for themselves. I wonder how much even makes it to Canada Customs!

I don't mind paying the duty and taxes that I owe when the time comes but dishing out even more money to a 3rd party corporation for no good rhyme or reason steams me to no end.

My eBay buying is effectively and severely dropped right off.

I'll be conducting much more business with some of the auction houses and with you nice people on the CGC forums :)

20,178 posts

I haven't experienced program as I use TL and only list smaller price books under $100. I wonder if TL will make that mandatory anytime soon or is that program only for express level mail books?

2,036 posts

The way to get around the Global Shipping program is for the buyer to "request total" after the auction's end (go to the won auction's drop-down, request total). That will cancel out the GSP, and the seller can send you a new invoice and send to you directly. Not all sellers offer this though, so I would send a message first.

Edited by spracknetch23

5,004 posts

I make sure and uncheck the "Send it to the US shipping center, and the rest will be taken care of for you" box whenever I list anything. Ebay checks it automatically even if you're shell listing you're using didn't have it. I have a couple books up now that I realized I had left it checked and hastily revised the listing. You need to remember to uncheck that box every time.

204 posts

I love Lewiston , NY the BBQ place there is great along with the custard at that ice cream shop off the main street in town there...umm I miss summer there already.

14,600 posts
I'm at my wits end with the Global Shipping program. Me and sellers in the USA have mutually decided to cancel auctions with unexpectedly different shipping charges and seemingly even higher import charges. This has happend 4 times in the last 2 weeks. The seller's did not want to do an 'offline' invoice because they worried about losing seller's protection from eBay. I don't really blame them.

What is not realized is that import charges are applied to EVERY little auction price even its only a couple of bucks! And the charges seem to be over 10-12% on the auction price. A regular mail parcel that goes into Canada typically never has duty and taxes applied to it if its under $100 in value. And if there is taxes applied for over the $100 mark then its for only 5% (in Alberta for me). But the GSP (is it Pitney Bowes?) makes these import charges up with no breakdown and could possibly pocket much of the cash for themselves. I wonder how much even makes it to Canada Customs!

I don't mind paying the duty and taxes that I owe when the time comes but dishing out even more money to a 3rd party corporation for no good rhyme or reason steams me to no end.

I'll be conducting much more business with some of the auction houses and with you nice people on the CGC forums :)

Each and every package I import is charged customs whether it is 10.00 or 10,000.00 :(

I think they are on to me....

8,244 posts

Each and every package I import is charged customs whether it is 10.00 or 10,000.00 :(

I think they are on to me....

greggy sold you out to the authorities. :gossip:

:insane:

12,802 posts

I opted out of this program via the account site preferences in my eBay seller account a long time ago and continue international shipping with no issues.

780 posts

I've stopped using eBay oval shipping. Have to check on renewed listings as they will automatically enable it.

Anybody in Australia got any experiences to share with GSP yet?

We only pay import charges if the item is over $1000 in value so if I stay under that how can they justify charging an import fee.

The reason I ask is that there are auctions for one slab stating that shipping through the GSP will cost me $20 and another auction different seller still one slab for $40.

955 posts

I don't sell on Ebay very often and previously have never shipped internationally so I was pretty confused when I saw people from Israel and Mexico bidding on some of my items. Thankfully all auctions ended with US bidders winning so I didn't have to mess with this and now I just have to keep my eyes open for that pesky check box.