• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Marvel Value Stamp club
4 4

246 posts in this topic

I remember clipping a few of them at the start, then after looking at the gaping holes in my books, I figuratively slapped myself and stopped doing it.

how old were you and how long had you been collecting? I think that has something to do with it. I was 10 or 11 and only in it for a year

Edited by 01TheDude

how old were you and how long had you been collecting? I think that has something to do with it. I was 10 or 11 and only in it for a year

Probably 8, my "clipping career" was right at the start and it only lasted for that first month for me. I started buying superhero comics at around 6 or so, which is probably why the PF books are so attractive to me - I see some PF covers and it's like I can remember them on the spinner rack (looking through a dusty window), especially some romance books (I used to *really* wonder WTF was up with those :eek:).

the more I read on the subject the more I have come to the conclusion that most of the industry was not worried about the collecting as much as the consumption of comics. So to the people who put out this silly and disastrous (hey kid-- play with these matches!) programs-- it was geared toward making it fun. I suppose I did have fun collecting the stamps-- and at that point wasn't really concerned about maintaining the health of my collection.

the focus shifted at some point during the 70s and 80s to be more collector centric (something Chuck Rozanski alludes to in his Mile High blog). It might make the SA and BA books that much more valuable in the long run and explain why the massive number of books in the 90s are almost all worthless. I wasn't really around the hobby during that time but it seems like the general opinion.

I don't know-- I only actively collected for a short period of time--- 1975 to 1980ish. Once the books went to 40 cents-- I was out of it-- I was delivering newspapers during that time as well so it might have just been tied to that (and sports taking over my free time). Now I simply like to maintain what I have and am satisfied with that pursuit.

Edited by 01TheDude

hope it wasn't mine from being a stupid kid--- I have the Shanna She Devil Stamp (god I was so dumb)

Speaking of which--- as I go through my collection and reinventory it, I am reviewing the grading to CGC standards and also checking for internal flaws like missing coupons and Marvel Stamps.

Is it correct for me to automatically drop a book to 1.8 grade if the stamp/coupon is missing, regardless of the condition otherwise?

hope it wasn't mine from being a stupid kid--- I have the Shanna She Devil Stamp (god I was so dumb)

Speaking of which--- as I go through my collection and reinventory it, I am reviewing the grading to CGC standards and also checking for internal flaws like missing coupons and Marvel Stamps.

Is it correct for me to automatically drop a book to 1.8 grade if the stamp/coupon is missing, regardless of the condition otherwise?

This one is not on you, its in the UK ( we were also stupid kids )

If you put you book in for grading, it would be a qualified (Green label) grade with notes stating missing "Marvel Value Stamp, Incomplete" :(

Does anyone know what this does to the "value" of the book. I sent in my Hulk 181 for grading and it came back a "green label" 9.0 just wonder if it retains it's value the way a "normal" book would.

It absolutely kills the value, as it's an incomplete comic that CGC markets using the meh Green label.

Of the 5 or 6 kids in my neighborhood who had the stamp book, I was the only one who had Galactus. Everyone else had the "?" one taped into theirs.

My dad would take me to a mart every Sunday and get the comics with the top half cover cut off for 10 / $1, I'd go right to the letters page in each Marvel book and look for the stamps. At 6 years old it got me hooked on Werewolf By Night, Man-Thing and so many great series

Does anyone know what this does to the "value" of the book. I sent in my Hulk 181 for grading and it came back a "green label" 9.0 just wonder if it retains it's value the way a "normal" book would.

It absolutely kills the value, as it's an incomplete comic that CGC markets using the meh Green label.

On GPA a green 9.0 copy is between 850.00 to 1K. And a non green 9.0 is between 1700.00 and 2K.

On GPA a green 9.0 copy is between 850.00 to 1K. And a non green 9.0 is between 1700.00 and 2K.

That's crazy, and I can't believe the prices are that close between a complete comic (an 9.0) and an incomplete one (a 1.5) - probably a lot of people don't understand that it is they're buying.

That's crazy, and I can't believe the prices are that close between a complete comic (an 9.0) and an incomplete one (a 1.5) - probably a lot of people don't understand that it is they're buying.

Or perhaps they know exactly what they are buying and they are not the ones out of touch with the market. Who ever said a market has to be rational?

I understand what you are saying. I always though an incomplete comic was graded at least poor. How CGC can put a 9.0 on a slab which is incomplete is crazy. But people get caught up chasing the big number in the corner and I guess ignore that this should be a poor copy. It's weird.

Or perhaps they know exactly what they are buying and they are not the ones out of touch with the market. Who ever said a market has to be rational?

Nope, that same comic *properly* graded a CGC 1.5 (or lower) would never get that kind of money.

It's not that it's worthless, as we're talking about Hulk 181, but it's insane that Qualified Incomplete prices seem to be 50% of Complete Universal 9.X prices. :facepalm:

That's crazy, and it can't sustain itself.

Actually, IH181 is the lone exception to the rule, particularly in 8.0 and above. I sold one of my OO copies (MVS missing) CGC graded 8.5 W for $550 about 12 years ago . . . Of course my other OO copy I sold raw for $2200. It was later graded by CGC at 9.6 W. :)

Actually, IH181 is the lone exception to the rule, particularly in 8.0 and above. I sold one of my OO copies (MVS missing) CGC graded 8.5 W for $550 about 12 years ago . . . Of course my other OO copy I sold raw for $2200. It was later graded by CGC at 9.6 W. :)

So people are blinded by the the fact that the comic is incomplete due to everyone wanting to own the first appearance of Wolverine? ???:popcorn: