• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Appearance of Black Canary

32 posts in this topic

I tried reading all the nonsense about retconning this and that, and gave up and decided to ask the experts.

What is considered THE first appearance of the current Black Canary?

Basically, if I'm a black Canary fan, what's the book to own?

JLA 75? Or something else?

Black Canary appeared in numerous Silver Age JLA/JSA teamups prior to JLA 73-74, starting with the first one in JLA 21.

But what I think the OP is referring to is the Roy Thomas early 1980s ret-con, which stated that during the supposed transition from Earth One to Earth Two between JLA 74 and JLA 75, the original Black Canary traded places with her daughter, who became the second Black Canary and JLA member. It was a pretty convoluted explanation.

Just pick up a copy of Flash Comics #86, and you'll be sure of owning the first appearance! (thumbs u

Black Canary appeared in numerous Silver Age JLA/JSA teamups prior to JLA 73-74, starting with the first one in JLA 21.

But what I think the OP is referring to is the Roy Thomas early 1980s ret-con, which stated that during the supposed transition from Earth One to Earth Two between JLA 74 and JLA 75, the original Black Canary traded places with her daughter, who became the second Black Canary and JLA member. It was a pretty convoluted explanation.

Just pick up a copy of Flash Comics #86, and you'll be sure of owning the first appearance! (thumbs u

20130406_155841.jpg

20130406_155841.jpg

:luhv: That's a classy book.

20130406_155841.jpg

Wonders if it is for sale :baiting:

20130406_155841.jpg

Wonders if it is for sale :baiting:

Also, wondering.... *insert poke icon that includes bigger stick*

I'm still confused :sorry:

I'll just have to try to buy them all I guess.

But yes, to clarify, I'm trying to figure out what the most coveted First appearance of the Second Black Canary is.

First appearance of the original is nice and clear

Pretty sure it's JLA #73. Below are pages 5, 6 and 8 from that issue.

2yvo491.jpg

aoro2b.jpg

2w5txl0.jpg

Top of the first page says "Dinah Drake Lance" and references her husband, Larry Drake. That's the first BC (her mom).

I still think it is JLA #75.

I just can't imagine JLA 75 or a similar comic ever being recognized as an in-demand first appearance.

- the costume is identical

- nobody-- neither readers nor characters in the stories-- acknowledge this is a different Black Canary any time during the next ten years

- the whole transition from mother to daughter has been replaced at least twice by subsequent reboots, first the original Crisis, then the New 52.

:sorry:

I just can't imagine JLA 75 or a similar comic ever being recognized as an in-demand first appearance.

- the costume is identical

- nobody-- neither readers nor characters in the stories-- acknowledge this is a different Black Canary any time during the next ten years

- the whole transition from mother to daughter has been replaced at least twice by subsequent reboots, first the original Crisis, then the New 52.

:sorry:

It's a decent hold-over until I can find a Flash Comics 86. :grin:

If this is about her 1st SA appearance it's hard to argue against JLA #21. She is on the cover for Pete's sake!