• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's see your ROBOT covers!
5 5

344 posts in this topic

There has been much discussion on the Boards by Boardies who are WAY more knowledgeable on the subject of Pedigrees and how to identify specific ones than i am. I purchased this book as a 'San Francisco copy' from a seller who is known to be connected to the initial 'dispensing' of the books. Don't want the Thread to get derailed from my list bump, but i'm sure long time Boardies know who i'm referring to so i won't mention him by name. I have always loved the cover, and paid less than what he was asking, so if it turns out once i get around to submitting it for grading and if CGC determines it isn't a San Francisco copy, it's ok. I still treasure the book.  1941, and under appreciated Robot cover imho

Famous Funnies #82.jpg

It looks a little rough for a SF. Does it have the "Riley" stamp on the back cover? What is the month and year?  The "seller" might have meant that the book was actually in the city of SF once. The '70's was a wild time folks...

Either way, it's a real cool book Corey. 

Oh, if you do submit it to CGC, I wouldn't use the "seller's" name to vouch for it...

58 minutes ago, sagii said:

There has been much discussion on the Boards by Boardies who are WAY more knowledgeable on the subject of Pedigrees and how to identify specific ones than i am. I purchased this book as a 'San Francisco copy' from a seller who is known to be connected to the initial 'dispensing' of the books. Don't want the Thread to get derailed from my list bump, but i'm sure long time Boardies know who i'm referring to so i won't mention him by name. I have always loved the cover, and paid less than what he was asking, so if it turns out once i get around to submitting it for grading and if CGC determines it isn't a San Francisco copy, it's ok. I still treasure the book.  1941, and under appreciated Robot cover imho

Famous Funnies #82.jpg

You know i love that one and looks pretty nice to me :banana:

21 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

It looks a little rough for a SF. Does it have the "Riley" stamp on the back cover? What is the month and year?  The "seller" might have meant that the book was actually in the city of SF once. The '70's was a wild time folks...

Either way, it's a real cool book Corey. 

Oh, if you do submit it to CGC, I wouldn't use the "seller's" name to vouch for it...

Why not (:

@Robot Man and @comicjack Thanks and lol lol lol too!

I knew after reading what i have on the Boards about the seller and the Pedigree that it would be a big gamble, but 'collect what you love' first and you won't feel remorse, and since i got the price down it made it 'worth it' to me.

No stamp on the back cover, and yes, it's kinda rough but even some mile highs aren't 9's, so that didn't automatically rule out the possibility (hope?) for me on the pedigree sell. Unfortunately all i have IS the sellers word, so ........

14 minutes ago, sagii said:

@Robot Man and @comicjack Thanks and lol lol lol too!

I knew after reading what i have on the Boards about the seller and the Pedigree that it would be a big gamble, but 'collect what you love' first and you won't feel remorse, and since i got the price down it made it 'worth it' to me.

No stamp on the back cover, and yes, it's kinda rough but even some mile highs aren't 9's, so that didn't automatically rule out the possibility (hope?) for me on the pedigree sell. Unfortunately all i have IS the sellers word, so ........

What did you do, talk him down to double guide?  Probably took 3 months for him to "find it" and send it to you. Better check for glue before you send it in for grading. Bitter, table for one...

Again, very cool book, one of my favorite issues of that title. Only full Back Rogers cover in that title I believe.

7 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

What did you do, talk him down to double guide?  Probably took 3 months for him to "find it" and send it to you. Better check for glue before you send it in for grading. Bitter, table for one...

Again, very cool book, one of my favorite issues of that title. Only full Back Rogers cover in that title I believe.

Will do. 

This one has an ad for Heroic Comics on the back. 

9 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Well, 209-217 are all full Buck Rogers covers (I assume by 'full' you mean Buck Rogers as the only feature, not group shots or such).  But it's the only one I know of before that oh-so-classic run at the end... (217 is also a non-Frazetta Buck Rogers cover)

The same fella has a couple of other books purported to be San Fran copies. I would have thought, whatever we think of the guy, that he would know the provenance of these books. Does this guy do anything right?

Edited by Larryw7

Off comic topic, but oh so robotic good.  

We've taken too much for granted
And all the time it had grown
From techno seeds we first planted
Evolved a mind of its own
Marching in the streets
Dragging iron feet
Laser beaming hearts
Ripping men apart
From off I've seen my perfection
Where we could do as we please
In secrecy this infection
Was spreading like a disease
Hiding underground
Knowing we'd be found
Fearing for our lives
Reaped by robot's scythes
Metal Gods
Metal Gods
Metal Gods
Metal Gods
Machines are taking all over
With mankind in their command
In time they'd like to discover
How they can make their demand
Better be the slaves
To their wicked ways
But meeting with our death
Engulfed in molten breath

Songwriters: Glenn Raymond Tipton / Kenneth Downing / Robert Halford "British Steel" (1980)