• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Statue Collections
23 23

5,036 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, nearmint said:

The exclusive is only available through Sideshow, so statues you see at an LCS are usually the regular edition.  The exclusive and the regular editions go up at the same time, and are noted that way on the Sideshow site.  Actually, these days they're calling the regular edition the "collectors edition".

That's what was confusing me.... the Hulk vs Wolverine says "collectors edition" up at top right by BIN..... the video only previews regular, but the unpacking tutorial shows both heads O.o 

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/marvel-hulk-and-wolverine-sideshow-collectibles-200216/

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That's what was confusing me.... the Hulk vs Wolverine says "collectors edition" up at top right by BIN..... the video only previews regular, but the unpacking tutorial shows both heads O.o 

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/marvel-hulk-and-wolverine-sideshow-collectibles-200216/

Since the regular is the collectors edition, but then I guess they have to still have the tutorial for the exclusive posted somewhere, I haven't watched that video since like 2-3 weeks ago and maybe something has changed..

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

22 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

You thinking of buying Hulk/Wolvie?  Other than Wolverine's teeth, people seem really happy with that piece.

3 minutes ago, nearmint said:

You thinking of buying Hulk/Wolvie?  Other than Wolverine's teeth, people seem really happy with that piece.

I own it lolI was just using it as an example because i made a misguided trade with the LCS...because I thought it was the exclusive....

I traded an ASM 129 cgc 4.5 cream to offwhite and a SS 4 cgc 8.0 cream to off white... he had the statue at $700 and after the trade had the ASM for$550 and the SS for $500. I really wasn't expecting a this for that trade, I wanted a little store credit as well...after I realized it didn't have both heads....

10 minutes ago, nearmint said:

We all make mistakes when we start collecting statues.  I bought my first 1/4 scale 2 1/2 years ago, and didn't even know about exclusives.  Luckily, the EX on the Sideshow Batgirl isn't a must-have.

Ya live and learn :$ I wasn't too bad off when I thought that it was the exclusive... I don't mind supporting the LCS in little ways like that. Then they started packing it up in original shipping materials etc and I asked where the other head was to which they said that it wasn't the exclusive. THEN I should have haggled.... but it was 3 weeks before last Christmas and I was just glad to have it. I wouldn't have had the "magic" number value in comics to have say $800 in trade, I have peace about it really, just want to learn as I go :) 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Speaking of QC, my Jean Grey Phoenix showed up a week ago with a broken flame. Contacted SS to see if it was possible to exchange the base. Was told that they couldn't swap bases on these, and in fact, they had no other statues available to exchange. So, I could return it for a full refund, or I could keep it and get a $52 (strange number) credit which I can apply to any purchase, use with reward points, etc.

I've been waffling on what to do. In addition to the flame being broken, the peg also doesn't sit perfectly in the stand, so she kinda leans to the left (her right.) It's not drastic, but it's there. And the same with the broken piece. I've already fixed it, and it's not perfect, but you literally can't see if when the statue is in place because it's directly behind her. But even if I can't see it, I KNOW that it's broken, and that kinda drives my OCD mad.

So I am going back and forth on it. I have until the 16th to decide. I'd love to have this statue in perfect shape, but prices have already blown up on eBay, well past what I paid. But if I keep it, with the break I don't expect it'll ever be worth what I paid for it, if that. 

But, all that being said, it's still really pretty, so, I dunno. I have a couple of days left to mull it over.

As to the question of SS's QC in general, I'd say that as far as I'm concerned, it's about the same. I've only had a handful of pieces show up mangled, so I've been fairly lucky over the years. In fact, until Phoenix showed up, I don't think I've had a messed up premium format piece since the Spider-Woman PF, so it's been a couple of years of good times...until last week. 

23 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I've been waffling on what to do. In addition to the flame being broken, the peg also doesn't sit perfectly in the stand, so she kinda leans to the left (her right.) It's not drastic, but it's there. And the same with the broken piece. I've already fixed it, and it's not perfect, but you literally can't see if when the statue is in place because it's directly behind her. But even if I can't see it, I KNOW that it's broken, and that kinda drives my OCD mad.

So I am going back and forth on it. I have until the 16th to decide. I'd love to have this statue in perfect shape, but prices have already blown up on eBay, well past what I paid. But if I keep it, with the break I don't expect it'll ever be worth what I paid for it, if that. 

If you're anything like me, you'll eventually replace it, it's only a matter of when and how much it will eventually cost you. Bite the bullet and replace it now with one that isn't broken. Instead of being able to enjoy the beauty of the piece, every time you look at it you'll always remember that it's broken and it will bother you. As the price to find a replacement gets more and more expensive, you'll start kicking yourself for not replacing it sooner.

It's funny how the mind works sometimes -- I bet if you had bought the statue knowing it was already broken and that you'd have to fix it (and paying accordingly), then it wouldn't drive you as crazy. At least that's how it would be for me. :D

On 1/11/2018 at 12:59 PM, F For Fake said:

Speaking of QC, my Jean Grey Phoenix showed up a week ago with a broken flame. Contacted SS to see if it was possible to exchange the base. Was told that they couldn't swap bases on these, and in fact, they had no other statues available to exchange. So, I could return it for a full refund, or I could keep it and get a $52 (strange number) credit which I can apply to any purchase, use with reward points, etc.

But, all that being said, it's still really pretty, so, I dunno. I have a couple of days left to mull it over.

As to the question of SS's QC in general, I'd say that as far as I'm concerned, it's about the same. I've only had a handful of pieces show up mangled, so I've been fairly lucky over the years. In fact, until Phoenix showed up, I don't think I've had a messed up premium format piece since the Spider-Woman PF, so it's been a couple of years of good times...until last week. 

If it was me and just the flame I would keep it and take the discount. From what I've seen in reviews and images a bunch of people received that Phoenix with a broken flame. It's usually that longer back one. Sideshow should have separated some of the flames like on the XM Studios Phoenix. That's a statue I would like to own. But I think they knew the base was problematic, that's why they put out those instructions on how to remove the base. To shift the blame on broken flames to customer base removal. But anyway, with the Sideshow one if it was just the flame then just take the credit since I think Sideshow wants complete returns these days to make sure everything fits right. But that lean with your statue is what would make me return it. That is something that isn't good and could get worse over time.

The question to you also is if you think this Phoenix is really good and won't be topped by another company. So far this Phoenix probably has the best facial sculpt. But everything else is kind of debatable. And the base on both XM versions are better. Also I see Erick Sosa's Prototypez is coming out with X-Men characters. It will be a long time probably but I bet he will make one of the best Phoenix statues. His Kotobukiya X-Men line up isn't 1/4 scale but still really good. I'm looking forward to his version of Storm coming out I guess this year or next.

Thanks guys, appreciate the input! I was leaning towards returning the piece, and have done so. It looks like prices are holding steady on eBay right now, so I may hold off and see if one comes up as a true auction. I love the piece, but honestly it was the only X-Men statue in my collection, and didn't really fit my Bat-dominated theme, so if I can't replace her, it won't be the end of the world. I'll keep my eyes open though!

1 hour ago, nearmint said:

Here's an unboxing and review of Sideshow's Thanos on Throne...

That is a fantastic piece. Seems to me that someone would need to have an enormous amount of space or plan to center their whole collection around it with its size, though.  But it's great to look at!

Thanks for sharing your reviews as always! Great stuff!

2 hours ago, nearmint said:

Here's an unboxing and review of Sideshow's Thanos on Throne...

Waiting on mine to come in the next couple of weeks. Any problem with over spray on the teeth? Is the collar piece more ornate than the prototype?

3 minutes ago, kdoginohio said:

Waiting on mine to come in the next couple of weeks. Any problem with over spray on the teeth? Is the collar piece more ornate than the prototype?

Every one that I've seen, including the one in Sideshow's production pics, has overspray on the bottom row of teeth.  Or maybe it's bleed?  Not very distracting, though.

I think the collar piece matches the prototype.  No more or less ornate.