• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Statue Collections
23 23

5,036 posts in this topic

Broke down and ordered the Red Sonja statue from Sideshow today.

After seeing pictures of her in some collectors hands, I was confident the QC on this has been top notch.

I'm excited to receive my copy. I might do my first "unboxing" when she arrives.

A few reference photos:

rs1.jpg

rs2.jpg

rs3.jpg

On 6/21/2018 at 4:34 PM, wombat said:

Got it today. 

Still no pictures?

7 hours ago, NamesJay said:

After seeing pictures of her in some collectors hands, I was confident the QC on this has been top notch.

I'm excited to receive my copy. I might do my first "unboxing" when she arrives.

A few reference photos:

rs1.jpg

rs2.jpg

rs3.jpg

This Red Sonja is very good. I wish Sideshow did this quality job on the last one with the snake. Even though that one was ok, she was missing elements and not quite the level of the pre-order prototype. I would probably add this new one as a possibility if there wasn't the chance of another Red Sonja. Plus, their second X-Men female of Emma seems to have made up for their odd Mystique.

HZbvDt7.jpg

I really want a good modern Emma and this might be it. I haven't seen XM Studios try one of her yet. But I like the face on this one enough that I'll probably need to get it regardless. All the Sideshow X-Men females are all supposed to make Comic Con. If they do a good job on Rogue and Psylocke, then that's three statues for me. Also, I was never the biggest fan of X-23 but if they make a really good version, she could be number four. I saw a custom Wolverine and X-23 that I had to give some serious thought. It's probably only a matter of time before I see a good X-23 to go with the Wolverine statue that I have.

Edited by GeneticNinja

16 hours ago, NamesJay said:

A few reference photos:

rs1.jpg

rs2.jpg

rs3.jpg

One of the best female pieces from Sideshow I’ve seen. Great buy!! 

On 6/26/2018 at 4:15 AM, GeneticNinja said:

Still no pictures?

This Red Sonja is very good. I wish Sideshow did this quality job on the last one with the snake. Even though that one was ok, she was missing elements and not quite the level of the pre-order prototype. I would probably add this new one as a possibility if there wasn't the chance of another Red Sonja. Plus, their second X-Men female of Emma seems to have made up for their odd Mystique.

HZbvDt7.jpg

I really want a good modern Emma and this might be it. I haven't seen XM Studios try one of her yet. But I like the face on this one enough that I'll probably need to get it regardless. All the Sideshow X-Men females are all supposed to make Comic Con. If they do a good job on Rogue and Psylocke, then that's three statues for me. Also, I was never the biggest fan of X-23 but if they make a really good version, she could be number four. I saw a custom Wolverine and X-23 that I had to give some serious thought. It's probably only a matter of time before I see a good X-23 to go with the Wolverine statue that I have.

Cool, I may be on board with that Emma. Didn't care for the last one. Interesting to hear about a new Rogue. I haven't been keeping up, do we know which version they're going with? I pray it's not another Jim Lee bomber jacket version, and also hope that she doesn't once again have a Jack Elam style lazy eye.

15 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Cool, I may be on board with that Emma. Didn't care for the last one. Interesting to hear about a new Rogue. I haven't been keeping up, do we know which version they're going with? I pray it's not another Jim Lee bomber jacket version, and also hope that she doesn't once again have a Jack Elam style lazy eye.

I think Rogue will have a jacket. They teased a silhouette image with Rogue, X-23, Emma, Mystique, and Psylocke. Someone lightened the image and it looked like Rogue had the jacket with some kind of energy around her hands. But that silhouette also had Mystique with long hair and that didn't happen so who knows what the final version will look like until they show it next month. I just saw a post that said Sideshow will start teasers this Sunday.

11 hours ago, kdoginohio said:

ordered Ivy. trying to decide on brown suit Wolvie or Zatanna.

dc-comics-batman-hush-poison-ivy-statue-prime1-studio-903592-19.jpg

300116-wolverine-brown-costume-04.jpg

dc-comics-zatanna-premium-format-figure-sideshow-300262-17.jpg

I didn't like that Sideshow Wolverine or Zatanna. I'm waiting on the XM Studio or Prime 1 Zatanna. I can't remember which but I know the sculptor said he referenced Adam Hughes artwork. So that's definitely the one I'm getting.

4 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

I think Rogue will have a jacket. They teased a silhouette image with Rogue, X-23, Emma, Mystique, and Psylocke. Someone lightened the image and it looked like Rogue had the jacket with some kind of energy around her hands. But that silhouette also had Mystique with long hair and that didn't happen so who knows what the final version will look like until they show it next month. I just saw a post that said Sideshow will start teasers this Sunday.

I didn't like that Sideshow Wolverine or Zatanna. I'm waiting on the XM Studio or Prime 1 Zatanna. I can't remember which but I know the sculptor said he referenced Adam Hughes artwork. So that's definitely the one I'm getting.

Ugh, I hate the Jim Lee Rogue. I had the first PF they made, but sold it once prices went nuts, because I don't like the outfit and the lazy eye thing. So that'll be a wait and see for me.

I actually dug the SS Zatanna, so I have her on flex pay as I'm in no hurry to get her. We'll see how she looks when she shows up.

I am on the fence about the Prime 1 Ivy. Looks really cool, though I'm not really a fan of huge ornate bases. I just like nice sculpts of the characters themselves. There's also the consideration of where the hell I'd put something that large. But I'm giving her some thought, as well as Catwoman.

I don't think anyone has the Jim Lee Rogue perfect yet. Even the Kotobukiya one was a bit odd with some things. I know the alternate face on that one was bad. Someone posted earlier versions and I think it was better than the released version. Sideshow's version is one of those shocking Sideshow factory painting mistakes or lack of quality control jobs.

Here is the Zatanna I'm waiting for.

http://zbrushtuts.com/2016/10/15/zatanna-3d-art-by-steferson-rocha/

Also this Tweeterhead Lynda Carter Wonder Woman might be good. The image is an off angle but it will have a bunch of exclusive items.

1311560854_wonderwomantweeterhead.jpg.762d300477d2ca846969e8a86de10d51.jpg

Edited by GeneticNinja

On ‎2018‎/‎06‎/‎25 at 6:41 PM, NamesJay said:

A few reference photos:

rs1.jpg

rs2.jpg

rs3.jpg

very nice Red Sonja statue. Wonderful sculpting details.

Minus Rogue for me.

rogue-premium-format-big.jpg

RoguePrint.jpg

Immediate thought like others on the forums is that she looks like Angelina Jolie. Not that Angelina Jolie isn't pretty. Even though her Tomb Raider movies aren't that good, I thought with the right director and -script she could have been a good Lara Croft. Still I don't want an Angelina Jolie Rogue. Some are thinking there will be an alternate portrait going from the print artwork but as they are calling this a "maquette" that means possibly Magneto $750 price range. And going from the print, I probably won't like the base that much for that price. I really hope Psylocke isn't sculpted after Olivia Munn. She made a terrible Psylocke.

Also, I don't know the policy here about custom, commissioned, or unlicensed statues. But apparently Sideshow is attempting to crack down on all the fan posts on the various websites and places where people post stuff like that on forums, Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, etc. Seems like Sideshow is finally starting to feel it where it hurts financially. They are now facing real competition from XM Studios, Iron Studios, Prime 1, Hot Toys, and the custom market. But it seems really foolish to threaten fan sites and other places where they are just passing along product news. Let's be honest, the majority of these guys and girls are just giving opinions for views and advertising dollars. I don't think the majority have degrees in art design or anything similar. Basically in many ways they are part of the Sideshow's marketing department without a direct paycheck even though many get kick backs from Sideshow yet don't disclose it.

I mentioned that X-23 and Wolverine statue which was a custom. That is on par if not better than a good portion of the recent Sideshow X-Men stuff. I have an Underworld Selene which is a custom. No one seems to want to make statues of her, Sideshow included. And Sideshow has previously announced so many characters that many were expecting only to fail to release them. Too bad Sideshow doesn't seem to want to take that much risk anymore with announced then cancelled statues, to be determined edition sizes, repeat characters, barely average packaging, and follow the popular character that was recently made from other companies business strategy.

We'll see what they have in store for us in the coming days. Maybe they will drop some rewards points soon since the text field is on their Comic Con site.

Edited by GeneticNinja

Somehow they really tried to almost mess up Emma. I would be shocked if anyone jumps to pre-order the Exclusive on this one. I might get the regular still as the facial sculpt is beautiful and one of their best. But XM Studio can easily top the overall feel of this one. Or if Prime 1 Studio gets to do an X-Men line up it will be really special. Emma's base is a jumbled mess of ideas and doesn't tell a clear story with all these character bits around. Plus she's standing in Juggernaut's foot print. It's too much. Her open shoes are kind of strange too.

exmarvel-emma-frost-premium-format-figur

Edited by GeneticNinja

7 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

Somehow they really tried to almost mess up Emma. I would be shocked if anyone jumps to pre-order the Exclusive on this one. I might get the regular still as the facial sculpt is beautiful and one of their best. But XM Studio can easily top the overall feel of this one. Or if Prime 1 Studio gets to do an X-Men line up it will be really special. Emma's base is a jumbled mess of ideas and doesn't tell a clear story with all these character bits around. Plus she's standing in Juggernaut's foot print. It's too much. Her open shoes are kind of strange too.

Not really loving the face on this one either, a little too square-jawed for my tastes. Wondering if they share a model/sculptor with the recent Poison Ivy PF? (Compare the bottom right pics of Emma and Ivy. Am I nuts?) Similar jawline. Not really feeling it.

dc-comics-poison-ivy-premium-format-figure-sideshow-3004871-02.jpg

Edited by F For Fake

8 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Not really loving the face on this one either, a little too square-jawed for my tastes. Wondering if they share a model/sculptor with the recent Poison Ivy PF? (Compare the bottom right pics of Emma and Ivy. Am I nuts?) Similar jawline. Not really feeling it.

I agree - not feeling that latest Emma Frost. Don't like the shoe thing either, and it's repeated on her hands. I'm guessing it's supposed to be a diamond, a la some reference to the fact she can turn into diamond or something. And I'm all for some semblance of realism in the body sculpt of statues and whatnot, but, not to sound like an , it looks like they gave her a pooch with the way she's standing, and I don't like that either. I don't want any of my superhero statues, male or female, packing a gut.

I also see what FFF is talking about. Even the Ivy portrait on the left is a little to . . . . masculine . . . for my tastes.

6 minutes ago, Antpark said:

I agree - not feeling that latest Emma Frost. Don't like the shoe thing either, and it's repeated on her hands. I'm guessing it's supposed to be a diamond, a la some reference to the fact she can turn into diamond or something. And I'm all for some semblance of realism in the body sculpt of statues and whatnot, but, not to sound like an , it looks like they gave her a pooch with the way she's standing, and I don't like that either. I don't want any of my superhero statues, male or female, packing a gut.

I also see what FFF is talking about. Even the Ivy portrait on the left is a little to . . . . masculine . . . for my tastes.

Ha, yeah, she is what we might call "a handsome woman." 

On 7/1/2018 at 3:33 AM, GeneticNinja said:

Minus Rogue for me.

rogue-premium-format-big.jpg

RoguePrint.jpg

Immediate thought like others on the forums is that she looks like Angelina Jolie. Not that Angelina Jolie isn't pretty. Even though her Tomb Raider movies aren't that good, I thought with the right director and --script she could have been a good Lara Croft. Still I don't want an Angelina Jolie Rogue. Some are thinking there will be an alternate portrait going from the print artwork but as they are calling this a "maquette" that means possibly Magneto $750 price range. And going from the print, I probably won't like the base that much for that price. I really hope Psylocke isn't sculpted after Olivia Munn. She made a terrible Psylocke.

Also, I don't know the policy here about custom, commissioned, or unlicensed statues. But apparently Sideshow is attempting to crack down on all the fan posts on the various websites and places where people post stuff like that on forums, Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, etc. Seems like Sideshow is finally starting to feel it where it hurts financially. They are now facing real competition from XM Studios, Iron Studios, Prime 1, Hot Toys, and the custom market. But it seems really foolish to threaten fan sites and other places where they are just passing along product news. Let's be honest, the majority of these guys and girls are just giving opinions for views and advertising dollars. I don't think the majority have degrees in art design or anything similar. Basically in many ways they are part of the Sideshow's marketing department without a direct paycheck even though many get kick backs from Sideshow yet don't disclose it.

I mentioned that X-23 and Wolverine statue which was a custom. That is on par if not better than a good portion of the recent Sideshow X-Men stuff. I have an Underworld Selene which is a custom. No one seems to want to make statues of her, Sideshow included. And Sideshow has previously announced so many characters that many were expecting only to fail to release them. Too bad Sideshow doesn't seem to want to take that much risk anymore with announced then cancelled statues, to be determined edition sizes, repeat characters, barely average packaging, and follow the popular character that was recently made from other companies business strategy.

We'll see what they have in store for us in the coming days. Maybe they will drop some rewards points soon since the text field is on their Comic Con site.

I’m a bit of a newb to statue collecting, but I thought Prime 1, XM, and Hot Toys were all affiliates with Sideshow? Since you can buy them all on the Sideshow website. Sure they probably get more out of their own Premium Formats but why would they try to stop promotion of those other companies? 

12 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Checking their site, both Emma and Poison Ivy have a few similar names attached. I wasn't crazy about that Poison Ivy either.

11 hours ago, Antpark said:

I don't mind the detail on her hands as there are motorcycle and other type gloves like that. I don't think I've ever seen boots with the open thing. Nor Emma's actual costume with boots like that.

5 hours ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

I’m a bit of a newb to statue collecting, but I thought Prime 1, XM, and Hot Toys were all affiliates with Sideshow? Since you can buy them all on the Sideshow website. Sure they probably get more out of their own Premium Formats but why would they try to stop promotion of those other companies? 

Sideshow just has distribution deals with Prime 1 Studio and Hot Toys. They want to stop custom and unlicensed statues so they are making legal threats. I don't want to post that much about them as I like some of the statues I'm seeing and Sideshow doesn't seem to want to step up their game. But here is that Wolverine and X-23 I mentioned. I guess it's stuff like this that they don't want people knowing about.

Edited by GeneticNinja
Edit - You can't get XM Studio statues from Sideshow. You have to get those elsewhere. I think the majority of their statues are for Asia and other regions. I believe Witchblade is one of the Worldwide licenses.

3 hours ago, Antpark said:

Wow. That's pretty nice. I can see why Sideshow would be afraid of that catching on. 

Sideshow made I think two Wolverines in the last two or so years. Three if you include the Wolverine and Hulk diorama which I thought was ok but I believe some had an issue with the teeth on either Wolverine or Hulk, I can't remember which. I didn't like Sideshow's Brown costume Wolverine. I have the Kotobukiya Danger Room Sessions version. Sideshow's recent Wolverine is ok. But that Wolverine and X-23 diorama is a bit more detailed with the base, more dynamic, and limited.

After Emma's base and that Rogue teased base on the print, I'm not expecting much for the bases on Psylocke and X-23. But we'll see. Maybe they will surprise me and come out with an X-23 that goes with their recent Wolverine.