• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Statue Collections
23 23

5,036 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

The first Wolverine statue in the Bowendesigns line is a beauty! I prefer the Brown costume for this statue.

Randy Bowen is one of the sculptors responsible for starting the Golden Age of Statues and Bowendesigns is still the standard by which all other statue/figurines are measured.

Congrats on getting a Phase 1 classic!

Congrats!

I like it a lot, found it at a fair price, and after looking at sideshow collectibles... it was a more comfortable intro ;)

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I like it a lot, found it at a fair price, and after looking at sideshow collectibles... it was a more comfortable intro ;)

The great thing about Bowen is that he produced a great line of statues that were affordable to many- no company has ever come close to the amazing quality of his product for the price. Over the past 25 years, I've collected Creative License, Sideshow, DC Direct, Graphitti Designs, Hard Hero, Moore Creations, etc.- Randy Bowen's statues (even though he didn't sculpt all the statues in the Bowendesigns run- Mark Newman sculpted the beauty you have) are not an intro but among the best ever done. Look carefully at the line- nothing comes close and can anyone imagine what Bowen could do if he wanted to charge the prices that other companies demand for a product that in many cases, doesn't measure up to the Bowendesigns run (especially phase 1 and 2)?

Love some of the Marvel stuff that Sideshow does but I always come back to Randy Bowen- nothing like his Marvel Comics run. 

Again, congrats!

47 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

Love some of the Marvel stuff that Sideshow does but I always come back to Randy Bowen- nothing like his Marvel Comics run. 

Agreed!   I think Randy Bowen and Bowen designs are the Gold Standard of mini busts, and statues.  They really capture the character from the page to the mold in most cases.  They even got some 2nd and 3rd tier characters you would never expect.    When they were doing their inventory liquidation before shutting down the website, I had my eye on a Daredevil mini statue.  They quickly sold out, but I just sent an email to inquire if they had anything left.  Got a reply back that he had one more, so I paid and he sent it.   #2 of 4000 :takeit:

dd red.jpg

Edited by Mercury Man

1 minute ago, Mercury Man said:

Agreed!   I think Randy Bowen and Bowen designs are the Gold Standard of mini busts, and statues.  They really capture the character from the page to the mold in most cases.  They even got some 2nd and 3rd tier characters you would never expect.    When they were doing their inventory liquidation before shutting down the website, I had my eye on a Daredevil mini statue.  They quickly sold out, but I just sent an email to inquiry if they had anything left.  Got a reply back that he had one more, so I paid and he sent it.   #2 of 4000 :takeit:

dd red.jpg

The large-size Daredevil was sculpted by Randy himself and is the first ever Bowendesigns Marvel statue. The design on the large and mini (you have) is the best Daredevil statue ever done. Sideshow did a statue and PF figurine and they are excellent but Randy's is still the best. Congrats on your getting a fabulous statue!

Without Bowen, we wouldn't have the statue industry today, period. He pioneered so many of the ideas that are still used today. Meanwhile, as today's statues seem to just be getting larger and larger, there is so much charm to the simplicity of the Bowen pieces. I think they're due for a resurgence in popularity.

20 hours ago, kdoginohio said:

Let it go, let it go.

Never.

Being an Alfred Hitchcock super-fan, I see a couple characters from his movies in this one.

Take Psycho for instance.

An icy blonde on the run after doing something horrible. Her sister desperately trying to track her down to set the wrong things right, etc.

I never announced it here... I never got into statues... I have the mini Bowen Spider-man that is still boxed up.  I finally broke down and bought one of these though...  

STK699859_w400.jpg

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

I never announced it here... I never got into statues... I have the mini Bowen Spider-man that is still boxed up.  I finally broke down and bought one of these though...  

STK699859_w400.jpg

They had one of those at Half Price Books.... I didn't get back to it in time...

Is there any interest in the action 1 comic statue? I saw it there as well... It had the car that superman picks up coming out of a spring and Superman was stationary holding it up. I thought it looked cool but did not know if it was worth the price compared to the one you got...?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

STK699859_w400.jpg

I dig that.  Takes you back to the  Fleischer days. 

On 7/17/2017 at 10:07 AM, F For Fake said:

Without Bowen, we wouldn't have the statue industry today, period. He pioneered so many of the ideas that are still used today. Meanwhile, as today's statues seem to just be getting larger and larger, there is so much charm to the simplicity of the Bowen pieces. I think they're due for a resurgence in popularity.

I would say that Randy Bowen is the key sculptor to have started the Golden Age of Comic Book Statues. Moore and Pacquet also had roles.  

Guys, IKEA has discontinued those DIODER led light strips while ago and replaced them with those atrocities:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/80192378/

I bought one and it's basically barely working. The lights are incredibly weak compared to the old light strips Dioder. 

Is there a replacement solution? The old Dioder kit worked PERFECTLY.. damn!

I found another one, and since I missed the one at HPB, they had it and I got the one at the LCS! They had a deal compared to ebay :) 

It says Cryptozoic as a label on the underneath of the statue, but it does say Fleischer at the top of the box on all sides! I noticed someone mentioned them higher up this page,

On 7/18/2017 at 5:13 PM, Mercury Man said:

I dig that.  Takes you back to the  Fleischer days. 

Mine is #489 out of 1200, I had no idea that they were limited :) 

Superman Saving Lois by cryptozoic Fleishcur.jpg

On 7/31/2017 at 1:07 AM, dntfeedthemnkys said:

dc-comics-the-joker-face-of-insanity-lif

I put this bad-boy on pre-order from Sideshow...   It's going to look amazing on the other side of the TV to the Noble Collection TDK cowl!! 

This is fantastic.  Going to try to subconsciously get my wife to buy this for me. :wishluck: 

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:38 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

They had one of those at Half Price Books.... I didn't get back to it in time...

Is there any interest in the action 1 comic statue? I saw it there as well... It had the car that superman picks up coming out of a spring and Superman was stationary holding it up. I thought it looked cool but did not know if it was worth the price compared to the one you got...?

I have both of those...the Action #1 with the car and spring set up is cool...adds a level of no pun intended "Action' or movement to the piece...the Sups/Lois Fleischer one above is cool too, but you have to make sure he's in the newspaper base correctly, otherwise he wobbles....