• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Statue Collections
23 23

5,036 posts in this topic

On 12/7/2017 at 10:24 AM, nearmint said:

Sideshow's new Wolverine 1/4 scale goes up for preorder TODAY.  This video includes a slideshow of the studio pics that Sideshow released earlier in the week.

Note: I mistakenly credited Erick Sosa as the sculptor of the unmasked portrait in this video.  That is not correct.  The primary sculptor was Rafel Grassetti, with assists by Martin Canale, Marco Plouffe, and Aaron McNaught.

Great statue that I'm definitely ordering. 

Thought about it. Then I saw the gloves. Too small.

An early Christmas present to myself... the Captain America / Red Skull Bowen statue duo.   I kept thinking how cool they'd look on top of my shelf with the shield behind them...

(I'm moving the Romita sketch, don't want it to be blocked like that... it'll just probably have to wait until next week).

CapSkullBowen.thumb.jpg.3deba92cd87f1e185598c08acea080c1.jpg

15 hours ago, fmaz said:

An early Christmas present to myself... the Captain America / Red Skull Bowen statue duo.   I kept thinking how cool they'd look on top of my shelf with the shield behind them...

(I'm moving the Romita sketch, don't want it to be blocked like that... it'll just probably have to wait until next week).

CapSkullBowen.thumb.jpg.3deba92cd87f1e185598c08acea080c1.jpg

In an age of increasingly huge statues from Sideshow, Prime, XM, etc, the simple beauty of Bowen stuff is unjustly overlooked. So many gorgeous pieces.

3 hours ago, kdoginohio said:

Any thoughts from the veteran collectors as to the rarest/hard to find statues? 

My focus is pretty limited, but I know some of the older Alien statues are hard to find and very expensive. 

On 12/25/2017 at 5:07 PM, kdoginohio said:

Any thoughts from the veteran collectors as to the rarest/hard to find statues? 

I'd say the Bowen bronzes (as in the REAL bronzes, not the fake bronzes with "faux" bronze paint jobs) are probably the rarest and most expensive. You're talking only a handful produced, worth a few thousand bucks. I think the prices have probably come down over the years, but there was a time when the Marvel pieces could have been $10k. I doubt they'd go that high nowadays, but you almost never see them offered. The Bowen Bronze Batman is also a very pricey piece, though it can be found if you're willing to pay up for it.

There are a lot of Sideshow pieces that are worth a lot of money, but aren't necessarily rare. If you're willing to pay $1-$3k, you can find most of them on eBay. But those bronze Bowens, I just never see them.

Ps: looks like a Bowen Hulk bronze sold on eBay back in October for $7200, so I guess they're still bringing good money. But yeah, the Marvel Bowen bronzes, and the Batman and Death Dealer pieces, there just aren't many of them, and they are going to cost you big if they ever pop up. To me, they are the epitome of actual rarity and value in the comic statue world.

As a statue collector, how do you decide which statue you purchase? Do you focus on only the best renditions and poses? Are you character focused? Are you line oriented (Marvel instead of DC, for example)? 

I'm asking in part because I'm a bit bored today at work, but also because I recently narrowed down a list of statues I thought I might want. Then I watched the 12 days of Sideshow event and I'm like, oooh, that might be a cool one. Granted, these are all a year or more away from being purchased, but I don't have the room or budget to buy a whole bunch of these. So to some degree, even knowing a more interesting statue is coming soon is enough for me to reconsider the ones I'm interested in now. 

Maybe I'm asking the wrong crowd, and you all have infinite space and money, but I'm not one who loves one specific character or line. I'm interested in pretty much all of 'em. So pulling the trigger on a $500 statue is proving a difficult task with so many options already available and more to come. :frustrated:

23 minutes ago, Reno McCoy said:

As a statue collector, how do you decide which statue you purchase? Do you focus on only the best renditions and poses? Are you character focused? Are you line oriented (Marvel instead of DC, for example)? 

I'm asking in part because I'm a bit bored today at work, but also because I recently narrowed down a list of statues I thought I might want. Then I watched the 12 days of Sideshow event and I'm like, oooh, that might be a cool one. Granted, these are all a year or more away from being purchased, but I don't have the room or budget to buy a whole bunch of these. So to some degree, even knowing a more interesting statue is coming soon is enough for me to reconsider the ones I'm interested in now. 

Maybe I'm asking the wrong crowd, and you all have infinite space and money, but I'm not one who loves one specific character or line. I'm interested in pretty much all of 'em. So pulling the trigger on a $500 statue is proving a difficult task with so many options already available and more to come. :frustrated:

What I've found is you pay for "quality".... and that quality can mean different things to different people!

I enjoy smaller Gallery, DC comics, Marvel Legend brands of statues, but nothing comes close to the quality and sculpt of some statues that are often more expensive... but you need to find one that represents how "you" envision a character.... there is a new Raiden statue coming out via sideshow so they dropped the price on the one shown above that I got.... BUT I prefer the Raiden shown above because it is the exact pose on the side of the Mortal Kombat Arcade system I grew up with putting quarters in at the pizza places as a kid. (mouthful lol)

You can buy different poses to different characters with lower price stuff, like I have a whole shelf of random Harley Quinn. BUT when it comes to more expensive stuff, you need "the one" that means you just got to have....

No I don't have a big income to do what I want all the time and I want to be a good steward. But having said all this, now that I have 2 big expensive statues, I feel bad that I spent $40-50 each on random smaller Harley Quinn, Link, Deadpool, Batman, Joker, Wolverine etc. the BIGGER and often MORE expensive had more time put into them to make them aesthetically pleasing....

Often the bigger and more time put in means they are limited editions, so you have to get them while the getting is good and be patient for the right one! IT's a finicky thing haha! Once you buy a few, you'll find your rhythm.... Unfortunately, I don't think you should buy for resale... as a lot of expensive stuff has fragile parts etc if your buying for more permanency, it might affect your decision....  GOOD LUCK :) 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
added: good luck!!

57 minutes ago, Reno McCoy said:

I'm really new to collecting statues, but I echo @ADAMANTIUM in that you basically buy what you like.  You absolutely will pay for quality in terms of sculpt and detail and all that... but nothing replaces a statue capturing the "look" that for you is the quintessential pose or expression of a certain character that makes you go "yeah, I want to display THAT" in my office/bedroom/garage/treehouse.  lol 

So for example, when looking at three different statues for a particular character, you'll decide you "like" version A, "love" version B, and "hate" version C.  If you're very lucky, the prices on them will turn out to be A: $250, B: $150, C: $450.   But most probably, the prices will end up being A: $700, B: $900, and C: $200

Happy hunting!