• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Statue Collections
23 23

5,036 posts in this topic

These are the problems every statue collector faces, space and money.  I don't have a particular focus with my collection, but I lean towards Marvel and DC 1/4 scale pieces.  I currently have a few 1/3 statues on preorder, but I honestly have no idea where or how I'm going to display them.  These days, there are frankly too many companies putting out too many quality pieces for any of us to afford or have space for everything we'd like to obtain.  Hard decisions have to be made!

15 hours ago, nearmint said:

These are the problems every statue collector faces, space and money.  I don't have a particular focus with my collection, but I lean towards Marvel and DC 1/4 scale pieces.  I currently have a few 1/3 statues on preorder, but I honestly have no idea where or how I'm going to display them.  These days, there are frankly too many companies putting out too many quality pieces for any of us to afford or have space for everything we'd like to obtain.  Hard decisions have to be made!

Wait, companies other than Sideshow produce statues? Looks like I know what I'll be searching for online today. Better block out some time in my work schedule to daydream and drool. 

54 minutes ago, Reno McCoy said:

Wait, companies other than Sideshow produce statues? Looks like I know what I'll be searching for online today. Better block out some time in my work schedule to daydream and drool. 

All kidding aside... is there a good resource or website out there that catalogs which companies have produced what?  Either by character or by brand?  It would certainly make looking for stuff a lot easier if you could see that "here are the 10 Thing statues made", for example.  Or even which company has what licenses.  It seems like its all a hazy mystery!

On 1/4/2018 at 3:42 PM, nearmint said:

Here's a brief preview of Sideshow's new Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman Premium Formats...

What we've seen of the WW proto looks lovely (of course the proto vs the actual painted factory piece is usually light years apart) but I can't believe SST is going back to the well on the big three again, and so soon! Ugh. So many second string characters and rogues gallery members we could have, and yet here's another PF each for the trinity. Oh well, saves me money, I guess (though I probably will break down and get the WW.)

@Reno McCoy

To better answer your question...

I'm sure when the right statue comes, you'll know it :) 

I'm kind of like you, there are many nice looking statues, but I have a preference for characters I want to look at all the time. I wish that I could help narrow down your search, but if you saw the 12 days of Christmas to your liking among other's then go with the cheaper to get your feet wet.... or one that best represents a character you love :)

7 hours ago, Reno McCoy said:

Sideshow produces their own statues, and they also distribute pieces for other companies as well. Prime One, Bowen (in the olden days), Tweeterhead, several others are independent companies that Sideshow does distro for. I guess it helps to keep their competition close by?

When talking about superhero statues, you're also talking about XM, Gentle Giant, Diamond and their various imprints, DC Collectibles, Kotobukiya, etc. There are sooo many companies stretching those licenses so thin.

Back in the day, if you wanted a comic book statue, you had Bowen, and that was pretty much it. Or pieces distributed by DC or Graphitti, some of which were sculpted by Bowen before he went out on his own. There wasn't a lot of selection, and they were pricey.

Nowadays there is literally a statue line for every collector's budget. If you don't have much room OR money, Kotobukiya and Diamond make some really snazzy mid-sized PVC pieces in the $40-$60 range that don't take up a lot of space or break the bank, but still offer a wide variety of characters that look very nice.  Or if you have tons of space and want to throw out $1k plus per piece, Prime One have you covered with their enormous 1:2 scale statues. Sideshow has plenty of spots in the middle ground, from their maquettes to their 1/4 scale premium format pieces.

These days there's really something for everyone.

Edited by F For Fake
i forget some words sometimes duh

6 hours ago, fmaz said:

All kidding aside... is there a good resource or website out there that catalogs which companies have produced what?  Either by character or by brand?  It would certainly make looking for stuff a lot easier if you could see that "here are the 10 Thing statues made", for example.  Or even which company has what licenses.  It seems like its all a hazy mystery!

I like the Sideshow Freaks forums at sideshowcollectors.com 

Although it's ostensibly a site for Sideshow Collectors (duh) the forums really cover every kind of statue and figure out there. The forums are broken down into subgroups (Marvel, DC, Aliens, etc.) that are themselves broken down into forums specifically for toys or statues, and within THOSE forums there's a thread for every major new release from every company out there. Although I don't know of a singular database, spending some time in those forums can be very informative.

I used to frequent the Statue Forums boards back in the day, but am not sure if they're even still a thing?

If nothing else, you can always just go to ebay and search "statue" and the name of the character you'r einterested in, and that'll give you an idea of what is out there.

2 minutes ago, nearmint said:

Definitely still a thing.  I think Statue Forum is a lot more active than Sideshow Freaks.

Good to know, I'll have to check it out, if I can even remember my log-in.

I also used to love the Bowen boards back in the day, but that all went south pretty quick.

I've been hanging out in the statue forum, just reading the various threads, looking at teasers and what not for upcoming Sideshow items. And it seems like over and over, collectors rip on Sideshow's QC problems. It's like they hate collecting but can't give it up.

Is Sideshow really that bad? Or is this a vocal minority of perfectionists raising a fuss?

I think overall their QC is pretty good, but it's a good idea to thoroughly check over every statue as soon as it arrives and contact them if there's any problem.  Sideshow's QC is more in focus at the moment because of the pics posted to Facebook of the BvS Wonder Woman PF, which is a hideous mess.  So bad, that they're not only handing out refunds to unhappy customers, but they're also restoring rewards points used, which they don't normally do.

I suspect that when people start receiving Thanos on Throne next week, it's going to be a different story.  QC should be excellent on that one.  At least it better be.

12 minutes ago, nearmint said:

I think overall their QC is pretty good, but it's a good idea to thoroughly check over every statue as soon as it arrives and contact them if there's any problem.  Sideshow's QC is more in focus at the moment because of the pics posted to Facebook of the BvS Wonder Woman PF, which is a hideous mess.  So bad, that they're not only handing out refunds to unhappy customers, but they're also restoring rewards points used, which they don't normally do.

I suspect that when people start receiving Thanos on Throne next week, it's going to be a different story.  QC should be excellent on that one.  At least it better be.

As a total newbie to statue collecting, I'm waaaay more worried about really getting into the hobby. I've only got two statues, but want more. But the ones I'm interested in are Sideshow. Because of all the comments, I'm even more hesitant to pull the trigger. 

4 minutes ago, Reno McCoy said:

As a total newbie to statue collecting, I'm waaaay more worried about really getting into the hobby. I've only got two statues, but want more. But the ones I'm interested in are Sideshow. Because of all the comments, I'm even more hesitant to pull the trigger. 

Just remember, you can always return for a full refund.  Some collectors wait for in-hand pics from other collectors before they order.  The only potential drawback of that is that you might miss out on the exclusive with the more popular pieces. 

11 minutes ago, nearmint said:

Just remember, you can always return for a full refund.  Some collectors wait for in-hand pics from other collectors before they order.  The only potential drawback of that is that you might miss out on the exclusive with the more popular pieces. 

Do you have to "pre-order" in order to get an exclusive? I noticed the Hulk vs Wolverine statue at my LCS for a while and that is where I got it, but it wasn't the exclusive with 2 heads..... but the one on the Sideshow site seems to be the exclusive, so does the exclusive always come first? or basically will it specifically state exclusive somewhere when you make a purchase?

I have like a dozen SS statues and, luckily, have never had any issues with QC.  Knock on wood.

I've got a tweeterhead Joker coming in February or so.  It's a 1/6, and I typically stick with 1/4, but man did it ever look good.  Easily the nicest Joker statue I've seen from any company.

Still have to PO the Iron Man Mark 3, but going to wait to use some points towards it

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

Do you have to "pre-order" in order to get an exclusive? I noticed the Hulk vs Wolverine statue at my LCS for a while and that is where I got it, but it wasn't the exclusive with 2 heads..... but the one on the Sideshow site seems to be the exclusive, so does the exclusive always come first? or basically will it specifically state exclusive somewhere when you make a purchase?

Yes, it specifically states EX when you purchase it on the SSC website.

Having said that, they usually sell out first yes.  The REG is usually left over afterwards and eventually sells out as well. 

I believe the Hulk vs. Wol dio EX is sold out.

Also, once in a while the EX is avail when the figure starts to ship. 

Look for the "exclusive" on the page.  Example:

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/dc-comics-deathstroke-sideshow-collectibles-3004781/

Look
right above the price and edition size on the top right.  You'll see Exclusive.  Also, check the black box in the middle of the screen under the main picture area.  It will describe what the exclusive actually is.

(this piece may be a bad example, as it may be entirely exlusive but you get the idea). 

2 minutes ago, Erndog said:

Yes, it specifically states EX when you purchase it on the SSC website.

Having said that, they usually sell out first yes.  The REG is usually left over afterwards and eventually sells out as well. 

I believe the Hulk vs. Wol dio EX is sold out.

Ah I see, Thanks! I guess the LCS has had it longer than I thought. I've seen the silk preorder ex so just wanted to make sure that I was reading it correctly.

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

The exclusive is only available through Sideshow, so statues you see at an LCS are usually the regular edition.  The exclusive and the regular editions go up at the same time, and are noted that way on the Sideshow site.  Actually, these days they're calling the regular edition the "collectors edition".