• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Statue Collections
23 23

5,036 posts in this topic

I like the HQ piece but I agree...something with the pose prevents me from pullin the trigger...same with the new Captain America...just looks off with the way he is standing. Price point is getting up there too. 

4 hours ago, g-man said:

I like the HQ piece but I agree...something with the pose prevents me from pullin the trigger...same with the new Captain America...just looks off with the way he is standing. Price point is getting up there too. 

Yeah, I am really hoping Sideshow's prices level out from here as if they continue to rise, it will definitely have a serious impact on my Sideshow purchases. Personally, I don't think Sideshow has any intention of competing with companies like XM directly in regards to pricing so I think pricing will level out from here on out. I understand they needed to raise prices to bring the quality of their statues up and I think they have achieved that goal with their current pricing level. I expect most Premium Format statues will stay in the $550-$599 range with the exceptions being really large pieces like Bane or really crazy detailed statues like Deadpool. 

On 2/23/2018 at 9:52 PM, OrangeCrush said:

I think the detail and quality of both Harley and Joker are pretty amazing. Harley is just another amazing portrait by Sideshow. Unfortunately, I am just not a big fan of the action poses for either of them. Just not my cup of tea so both are easy passes for me, which is ultimately a good thing given how many pre-orders I currently have. I already have the first Harley PF so i'm good on the Harley front. And its just absolutely mind blowing how many Harley collectibles have been released these last couple of years. I never knew Harley was that popular of a character. 

See, I don't like this HQ portrait either. It's an improvement over the hideous mug on their first PF, for sure, but still not something I'd want to own. I bought the exclusive of the first one and sold it when the prices started popping up, because I couldn't stand either head sculpt. Was hoping that one day I'd replace it with something I liked better. This ain't it.

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:14 AM, nearmint said:

Speaking of which, here’s my review of Tweeterhead’s Harley...

Has Tweeterhead replied back to you yet about the broken piece on your exclusive head?

20 hours ago, F For Fake said:

See, I don't like this HQ portrait either. It's an improvement over the hideous mug on their first PF, for sure, but still not something I'd want to own. I bought the exclusive of the first one and sold it when the prices started popping up, because I couldn't stand either head sculpt. Was hoping that one day I'd replace it with something I liked better. This ain't it.

I agree the portrait on the first PF could definitely be better. I still like the statue overall as when I am standing roughly 5-6 ft away, which is the usual distance I am at for most of my statues, its still a really nice looking piece IMO and goes really well with a lot of my other female DC pieces. And I like the pose. Sideshow has definitely upped their game in regards to the quality of portraits since the time when that first Harley PF was released tho. Just a few examples of pieces with amazing portraits IMO include Thanos, Huntress, Captain Marvel, Dark Phoenix, Harbottle's Red Sonja & the newest Red Sonja, Aspen, the new Wolverine, Lady Deadpool, etc. I do think this piece has a nice portrait quality wise, although I will agree that its just not the kind of portrait I am looking for with a Harley statue. This is the best angle IMO. 

dc-comics-harley-quinn-premium-format-figure-sideshow-300474-01.jpg.0118df01fac44b132d7229928e2eb16c.jpg

Again, I think its a quality portrait overall, but again just not the type of portrait I am looking for with Harley. At least for me, Harley should have a playful portait and this portrait she just looks angry or frustrated. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

13 hours ago, fmaz said:

Just picked up a lot of 13 Avengers-related Marvel mini-busts, which did a nice job of filling up some empty spots in my shelves...

Minis2.thumb.jpg.d144dad1ca95ec57a740c0d7bac741a2.jpg
Minis3.thumb.jpg.b0d169cdfbd01682e13a9980cbf79176.jpg
Minis4.thumb.jpg.e732aefc5f3ba796d16835765cc03990.jpg
Minis5.thumb.jpg.73fe47947089a5b21ff1bd8fee2ce10d.jpg
Minis1.thumb.jpg.e532b7e41433f06cd5752222854b1330.jpg

I am really not a big bust person, but these are some of the nicer busts I have seen as at least most of these have arms. I just can't stand busts where they cut off the arms at the shoulder. The Black Widow & Captain America busts are a perfect example. Have never understood why busts are designed in that manner. 

16 hours ago, fmaz said:

Just picked up a lot of 13 Avengers-related Marvel mini-busts, which did a nice job of filling up some empty spots in my shelves...

Old school Bowen bust goodness. :x

3 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

Again, I think its a quality portrait overall, but again just not the type of portrait I am looking for with Harley. At least for me, Harley should have a playful portait and this portrait she just looks angry or frustrated. 

Yeah, I don't really like this costume either. I'm really only interested in the original costume. Of course, since it's SST, I'm sure they'll release another one in a year or two, so I'm content to wait.

On 2/27/2018 at 9:00 AM, F For Fake said:

Yeah, I don't really like this costume either. I'm really only interested in the original costume. Of course, since it's SST, I'm sure they'll release another one in a year or two, so I'm content to wait.

Yeah, we will definitely see another Harley in the next year or two, especially given how popular she has been the last couple years. I'm in the same boat with Supergirl as I hated that portrait. One of the worst hairlines I have ever seen. So i'm anxiously waiting for the next iteration. Given the cost of these statues now, it really makes no sense to buy a piece unless you absolutely love it. 

On 2/26/2018 at 4:24 PM, fmaz said:

Great collection! Especially the Bowen stuff. Been collecting statues and busts since the 90s and while the other companies have done excellent stuff, no company has captured the "essence" of Marvel Comics like Randy Bowen's Bowendesigns did. 

6 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

Great collection! Especially the Bowen stuff. Been collecting statues and busts since the 90s and while the other companies have done excellent stuff, no company has captured the "essence" of Marvel Comics like Randy Bowen's Bowendesigns did. 

I love Bowen statues and during the time they were without question some of the best statues on the market. That being said, IMO most of them just really can't compete with a lot of the new 1:6 statues being released today by companies like Hot Toys and Sideshow. I think that's why your seeing so many Bowens listed on eBay these days. People upgrading to newer, higher quality pieces. I would have done the same if I still owned mine, but the house fire we had wiped em out. I might have kept a couple of them, but I definitely would have sold off most at this point. 

Don't get me wrong, they are still great statues and always will be and there will always be a market for them. Its just many of the newer pieces are just much higher in quality (more detail, more detailed paint app, higher quality sculpts, etc). Just look at the detail on many of these newer pieces:

marvel-thor-ragnarok-hela-sixth-scale-hot-toys-903107-29.thumb.jpg.89ae4f9d0a27d6ef57fc0466035ed11b.jpgs-l1600.thumb.jpg.123a8066a96e54a540ddfa33b4df4ac5.jpg71n8SyVRZAL._SL1000_.thumb.jpg.126e1bcfba4810254463f5dab9269fde.jpgmarvel-guardians-of-the-galaxy-2-yondu-deluxe-sixth-scale-hot-toys-903168-09.thumb.jpg.8927c6c5dcce52ff61a37dc96935b1e7.jpg

Edited by OrangeCrush

4 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

I love Bowen statues and during the time they were without question some of the best statues on the market. That being said, IMO most of them just really can't compete with a lot of the new 1:6 statues being released today by companies like Hot Toys and Sideshow. I think that's why your seeing so many Bowens listed on eBay these days. People upgrading to newer, higher quality pieces. I would have done the same if I still owned mine, but the house fire we had wiped em out. I might have kept a couple of them, but I definitely would have sold off most at this point. 

Don't get me wrong, they are still great statues and always will be and there will always be a market for them. Its just many of the newer pieces are just much higher in quality (more detail, more detailed paint app, higher quality sculpts, etc). Just look at the detail on many of these newer pieces:

marvel-thor-ragnarok-hela-sixth-scale-hot-toys-903107-29.thumb.jpg.89ae4f9d0a27d6ef57fc0466035ed11b.jpgs-l1600.thumb.jpg.123a8066a96e54a540ddfa33b4df4ac5.jpg71n8SyVRZAL._SL1000_.thumb.jpg.126e1bcfba4810254463f5dab9269fde.jpgmarvel-guardians-of-the-galaxy-2-yondu-deluxe-sixth-scale-hot-toys-903168-09.thumb.jpg.8927c6c5dcce52ff61a37dc96935b1e7.jpg

And look at what you have to pay for to get them. I've been collecting Sideshow going back to the first Universal Monster 1/4 scale premium format figures and love all my Sideshow pieces. Also love my DC Direct/Collectibles pieces and Marvel Milestone stuff. That being said, the Bowen early phase statues are still the standard. Think about prices - you have to pay a greater amount of money for a Sideshow Premium Format figure today to get better quality than you would have for a Bowen back when Randy first produced and sold them.

Bowens are easily available on the secondary market primarily because newer collectors are currently interested in the larger, more detailed stuff- there's no doubt that realism is the most popular trend in statue collecting today. There's also a view that stuff is better if it's more expensive (in some cases, it is).

Bowen captured classic full size statue poses- Smackdown Hulk and Retro Hulk are still among the best Hulk statues ever made- even among the more detailed stuff made today. If we include the Grapphitti Designs and Creative License stuff that Randy did during the '90s, his statues have been available for more than 20 years so collectors have been exposed to them for a long time in terms of the statue collecting era. Many collectors have taken the opportunity to own and sell them to buy newer more detailed stuff. As a statue collector, I view and respect realism in a statue and have included them in my collecting focus. I also appreciate the statue that captures the "comic book" look of a character. The Batman Black & White series are an excellent example of how some artists will bring more definition or realism (Adams is an example) to their interpretation of Batman while others will have that classic look (Sprang comes to mind). Bowen's genius is that he defined Marvel Comics characters at the center of the aesthetic spectrum of artistic interpretation or to put it simply- the middle of the road between the realism of the Marvel Comics comic book at the time Bowen sculpted with the classic look of the comic book as defined by the preceding Silver and Bronze Marvel Ages. I haven't seen any sculptor do it better since. And Randy achieved this during the earlier phases of Bowendesigns without the help of computers (Mephisto was the first Bowendesigns statue to be designed on a computer).

Bowen is one of the primary founders of the Golden Age of Comic Book Statues and his stature will only grow over time because of his vision and contribution to creating an era where those who didn't have the time and/or lacked the talent (like me) to work on garage kits, could now collect them already made and painted. The '90s were a historic time for comic book statues. Bowen's statues (and mini-busts) have a history behind them like no other company. 

Bowen statues are like fine wine, they will get better over time and more sought after, especially when many will end up chipped or broken as they're passed around- making it more difficult to find like new pieces with the outstanding original boxes they were packed in. As the History of Comic Book Statues becomes more defined over time, current and future collectors will look to collect the Kirby or Eisner of sculptors and they'll look for Randy Bowen - the first and greatest sculptor of the Marvel Comics statues.

best,

john

Edited by bronze johnny

Anyone like the Prime 1 Studio Hush Superman? He supposedly sold out quickly last week. And Sideshow still has the Hush Batman statues up for pre-order.

dc-comics-batman-hush-superman-sculpt-ca

There is a fabric cape version coming out soon. It's probably the best Superman pose I've seen. I just don't like that he's still angry and also a bit older looking compared to Jim Lee's artwork in Hush. He comes with three headsculpts. Too bad one of those couldn't be happier or a bit younger. Still I keep debating one day picking one up as the line is continuing with Poison Ivy, Huntress, Nightwing, and Catwoman.

Does anyone know why they haven’t already/if they’re going to release a Flash PF, Green Arrow PF or Martian Man Hunter PF? 

Seems like they are bringing out pieces of less importance to the DC universe and leaving out some pretty big ones. We get a million variations or Bats and Supes and Harley, but no Flash or Manhunter in the JLA and no Penguin or Mr Freeze in the batverse. 

Half price books win for me at 50% off. Probably still paid too much because it didn't have the box...but it fits my shelf nicely I guess....

20180318_095909.jpg

15213857357281913080880.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM