• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC 2014 --It's still Never to Early, Oct 9-12

734 posts in this topic

Newsrama reports NYCC 2014 attendance at 151,000. :o

Given how crowded Thursday was, it's not a surprise that ReedPop was going after SDCC's title as The largest comic show in the world. :sick:

BTW - anyone who complains about Liefeld's prices for autographs should just walk away. The fact that everyone continues to pay him just to CGC SS the comic indicates that you are willing to speculate on making money off the signed book in the future. So why shouldn't Rob make some money if you are going to charge a premium when you sell the book? Doesn't CGC also charge higher rates to grade a book based on market value?

Cheers!

N.

Usually there's a signature fee and a CGC Signature fee. Fine. This fool decides to build pricing like a 3 tier cake. I'm not happy but I pay it because I'd rather pay him now than later when he ups his prices (I have a strong feeling he will rase them again -- much like he did with his commissions). Better to get it out of the way now than pay an even higher price later. That way, I don't ever have to deal with the hack again.

Everyone is speculating here. Everyone. All the collectors here are speculating on their books whether comics are signed or unsigned. Just look at the variety of threads talking about key issues, print runs, rare 2nd or 3rd printings, misprints, sales comparisons. I bought a few copies of X-FORCE #2 knowing it was Deadpool's 2nd Appearance and now it's going up in value. Whether it stays there or not is a different story. Speculating is certainly paying off for me.

Yeesh, this is full of ugly sentiment. To whinge about how you're getting gouged by the guy who created the comics, only to follow it up by gloating about how much money you're making off his work... :sick:

If you think my gloating is bad, you should see Liefeld's twitter feed.

And I don't "whinge," I whine. :grin:

I am whining about his behavior and his pricing tier, not the fact that I have to pay him. I don't mind giving creators money for sigs. I just prefer paying one price per item. It allows me to plan ahead. The least Liefeld could have done is list it on his site or twitter as opposed to surprise everyone on the line with it. The only reason I did pay was because all the books I had were already signed by Fabian Nicieza on Thursday afternoon. This coupled with Liefeld finally showing up at 3pm on Saturday (Really!?!), I felt obligated to finish getting the books signed.

I understand that these are freelance artists and writers who don't get benefits unless they get exclusives with publishers. As such, once they do their jobs, that's it. Everything else -- selling scripts, commissions, autographs -- is extra for them and they deserve it. Should they be lucky enough to have Hollywood knock on their door & throw cash at them, great for them. Just don't be a to people who paid a pricey convention ticket to see you in person. It's messed up and without them, you'd be nothing.

As for me making money off their work -- so what? What do you think comic shops do? Why do you think Marvel is pimping out Deadpool on every imaginable comic on the stands today? It's called capialism for a reason.

Newsrama reports NYCC 2014 attendance at 151,000. :o

Given how crowded Thursday was, it's not a surprise that ReedPop was going after SDCC's title as The largest comic show in the world. :sick:

BTW - anyone who complains about Liefeld's prices for autographs should just walk away. The fact that everyone continues to pay him just to CGC SS the comic indicates that you are willing to speculate on making money off the signed book in the future. So why shouldn't Rob make some money if you are going to charge a premium when you sell the book? Doesn't CGC also charge higher rates to grade a book based on market value?

Cheers!

N.

Usually there's a signature fee and a CGC Signature fee. Fine. This fool decides to build pricing like a 3 tier cake. I'm not happy but I pay it because I'd rather pay him now than later when he ups his prices (I have a strong feeling he will rase them again -- much like he did with his commissions). Better to get it out of the way now than pay an even higher price later. That way, I don't ever have to deal with the hack again.

Everyone is speculating here. Everyone. All the collectors here are speculating on their books whether comics are signed or unsigned. Just look at the variety of threads talking about key issues, print runs, rare 2nd or 3rd printings, misprints, sales comparisons. I bought a few copies of X-FORCE #2 knowing it was Deadpool's 2nd Appearance and now it's going up in value. Whether it stays there or not is a different story. Speculating is certainly paying off for me.

Yeesh, this is full of ugly sentiment. To whinge about how you're getting gouged by the guy who created the comics, only to follow it up by gloating about how much money you're making off his work... :sick:

If you think my gloating is bad, you should see Liefeld's twitter feed.

And I don't "whinge," I whine. :grin:

I am whining about his behavior and his pricing tier, not the fact that I have to pay him. I don't mind giving creators money for sigs. I just prefer paying one price per item. It allows me to plan ahead. The least Liefeld could have done is list it on his site or twitter as opposed to surprise everyone on the line with it. The only reason I did pay was because all the books I had were already signed by Fabian Nicieza on Thursday afternoon. This coupled with Liefeld finally showing up at 3pm on Saturday (Really!?!), I felt obligated to finish getting the books signed.

I understand that these are freelance artists and writers who don't get benefits unless they get exclusives with publishers. As such, once they do their jobs, that's it. Everything else -- selling scripts, commissions, autographs -- is extra for them and they deserve it. Should they be lucky enough to have Hollywood knock on their door & throw cash at them, great for them. Just don't be a to people who paid a pricey convention ticket to see you in person. It's messed up and without them, you'd be nothing.

As for me making money off their work -- so what? What do you think comic shops do? Why do you think Marvel is pimping out Deadpool on every imaginable comic on the stands today? It's called capialism for a reason.

I don't think tiered pricing is new. Its certainly not new when you submit books to CGC based on the 'Age' of the book, value or turnaround time.

Its also not news that certain creators charge more for their signatures for CGC books vs non-CGC books.

Tiered pricing has been around for a while when requesting OA recreations of popular covers vs other covers (think Herb Trimpe Hulk 181 vs any other cover he's done), and its been around in Sports collectibles for quite some time, too.

Perhaps the cause of your disappointment is lack of advanced warning of the tiered pricing structure?

Personally, I've never seen the price tiering done that way before so it was new (and admittedly upsetting) to me. I'm used to paying for CGC & non-CGC autograph pricing. At Big Apple Con, I paid $20 or $25 for Steranko to sign a book going to CGC and $5 to sign a poster he made so I am aware of that type of pricing. Liefeld's was just surprise is all. Despite that experience, it didn't dwindle the enjoyment I had at this con.

I loved the positive energy, inventive and uninventive cosplayers, booth babes, the Batman statues & USPS Batman poster and more. Making me rethink about going again next year.

@Jason My father-in-law got me one of those Batman stamp posters and had it signed by someone at the booth, most awesome addition to the wall at work.

I regret not seeing the huge bat symbol by the entrance and the suits but I got to see pics :) Can't wait til next year

@Jason My father-in-law got me one of those Batman stamp posters and had it signed by someone at the booth, most awesome addition to the wall at work.

I regret not seeing the huge bat symbol by the entrance and the suits but I got to see pics :) Can't wait til next year

The cool thing about that is that they were selling the stamps to everyone for under $10. They had workers who would then negate the postal stamp with a Special Edition Batman Logo Rubber Stamp (one of three rubber stamps with varied Bat Logos) over the stamps. You place the stamps on the free poster in however way you want. USPS workers would then place a Rubber Postal Stamp on top of the stamps you bought.

I didn't do that. I saw one guy do this with 5 posters, each poster has one stamp in the middle with the postal Bat Logo marking over it.

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of the Artist Alley list from the show that was posted on the end caps? I met an indie guy whose last name escapes me and I paid for a commission I need to follow up on. Dave "something"...

He is unfortunately not listed on the Comic Guests section on the NYCC page.

The cool thing about that is that they were selling the stamps to everyone for under $10. They had workers who would then negate the postal stamp with a Special Edition Batman Logo Rubber Stamp (one of three rubber stamps with varied Bat Logos) over the stamps. You place the stamps on the free poster in however way you want. USPS workers would then place a Rubber Postal Stamp on top of the stamps you bought.

I didn't do that. I saw one guy do this with 5 posters, each poster has one stamp in the middle with the postal Bat Logo marking over it.

Hah that sounds pretty neat, sad I missed out but happy with what I got. Too much frame space, not enough wall space...

Hi guys, anyone a big fan of Stanley "Artgerm" Lau ? He just released the art prints that he will be selling at NYCC, Artist Alley V10. If there is anyone that is willing to help me grab those. I will pay you for your kind services. Items shipped to Portland 97230, Paypal payment. Please contact me, serious buyer. Thank you and have fun those of you guys going. I envy you =(

Facebook link below:

Just wanted to leave a shoutout to Mangbus for helping a fan out buy Stanley's Artgerm prints. Item received in good condition. Thank you again !