• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman: The Man of Steel #17 & 18 (Doomsday)
3 3

879 posts in this topic

You might as well, prices appear to have cooled on #17, first and second prints!

This is true, the MoS #17's have cooled off and now the focus is on #18. Although the sheer # available of #18 1st prints has kept the price level at around $15-20 for NM copies. The 2nd prints sell for 1/2 the price of the 1st roughly. The 3rd printing I don't see enough to really know. The 4th printing sells for around $30 in NM. The 5th printing has leveled off and sells for $75 approximately for a NM raw copy.

The focus on Doomsday will likely change again, and who knows what Death of Superman issue will be the next hot one.

I just got this in the mail the other day!

It's been a while since #17 appeared in this thread.

Very nice! I need to get a MOS17 .... but then I will also need a 2nd print .... and a newsstand 1st print ..... blargh

You might as well, prices appear to have cooled on #17, first and second prints!

Fine - someone sell me a CGC 9.8 first and second print :)

As I was skimming this thread from the beginning back in 2013, I thought I would put together a brief recap. This is only a patchwork recap, it's been great following this thread over the years.

Distribution

Cap City numbers:

MOS #17 - 18,700

#18 - 26,350 (I was off on this one. It does help to explain the prices.)

#19 - 96,700

#20 - 84,250

#21 - 138,050

#22 (regular) - 109,350

#22 (die-cut) - 400,450

Stunning, stunning numbers. DC's marketing plan was absolute brilliance.

The Death of Supes absolutely dominated the comics market from November of 1992 until the spring of 1993.

Supes' numbers were low for most of 1992, MOS in the 20s and high 10s, and then shot up to the 100s and then slowly fell over the course of the next 3 years. MOS wouldn't fall back to the 20s again until late 1995.

Keep in mind, these are Capital City order numbers, and do not include the other Direct Market distributors (Diamond, Heroes World, etc) or the newsstand.

Cap City was about 25% of the market. Puts the numbers for #22 into perspective.

Turok #1 sold 1.75 million copies to the Direct market...and it was only the SIXTH highest selling book of 1993 (MOS #22, Supes #78, Action #687, Adventures #500, 501.)

Back in November of 1992, DC was using the "continuity diamonds" so one would know which books to read in which order in accordance with their storytelling. The following books were all released that month, have cameos of Doomsday's fist, and their corresponding diamonds are listed. Street date is in parentheses:

Man of Steel #17 - 41 (September 9 or 16, 1992)

Superman #73 - 42 (September 25, 1992)

Adventures of Superman #496 - 43 (October 28, 1992)

Action Comics #683 - 44 (October 28, 1992)

December 1992

Man of Steel #18 - 45 (first full)

I got the release dates from comiccollectorlive.com so take them with a grain of salt. ?

Take them with a big FAT grain of salt, because those release dates are completely and totally wrong. I wonder why they can't even do this tiny bit of research? Just goes to show how much out there reported as "fact" is incorrect.

Superman was, in 1992, a weekly event, week in and week out, every week, for 48 weeks a year (they skipped the 5th weeks until 1995.)

Here are the correct WEEKS, according to the US Copyright Office -

Man of Steel:

no. 17, Nov92. Created 1992; Pub. 1992-09-15; Reg. 1992-09-24; TX0003400955

no. 18, Dec92. Created 1992; Pub. 1992-10-13; Reg. 1992-11-09; TX0003434010

no. 19, Jan93. Created 1992; Pub. 1992-11-10; Reg. 1992-12-24; TX0003449999

no. 20, Feb93. Created 1992; Pub. 1992-12-15; Reg. 1993-02-16; TX0003486711

CGC Census Data

Here's the CGC census info (as of December 1, 2015):

mos18.png

It's interesting that 2015 wasn't seeing the same pace of MOS #18 being submitted as 2014.

Census for MOS #18 as of 12/16/15

5th print 11 Universal 9.8

4th print 3 Universal + 2 SS 9.8

3rd print 18 Universal + 2 SS 9.8

2nd print 25 Universal + 1 SS

Census for MOS #18 as of 5/19/16

5th print 13 Universal + 1 SS 9.8

4th print 11 Universal + 2 SS 9.8

3rd print 20 Universal + 4 SS 9.8

2nd print 31 Universal + 1 SS

Some Sales Numbers

Has anyone seen an uptick in actual selling prices of MOS18 in CGC 9.8 or just listings with inflated asking prices?

December average $143, with 51 sales

November average $95, with 9 sales

October average $99, with 12 sales

September average $94, with 11 sales

August average $97, with 16 sales

Two things I didn't realize when I started this thread:

1) MOS #18 4th Print is more difficult to find over the 5th print

2) MOS #18 5th Print was published in 1994

And, there was also something about a cameo versus full appearance and a movie has come out since then with Doomsday making an appearance. ;)

^ Good summary. So, since you are the resident expert on these issues, any other observations? Why do you think 4th printing is smaller run than 5th? I agree with you just by my own un-scientific observations. But the market seems to favor the 5th print as prices are double or more from what I see.

The rarest though in my opinion is #19, 3rd printing. That book rarely comes up for sale.

Why do you think 4th printing is smaller run than 5th?

The 4th printing was strictly for "final demand" from the original release (1992).

There was no reason to overprint the 4th printing (by much) since the 2nd and 3rd printings had satisfied the re-orders (2nd), and the re-re-orders (3rd). Re-re-re-orders (4th) should have been few.

The 5th printing was from 1994, and specific to its purpose of reprinting the parts of the Death of Superman storyline. 1994 was the height of the industry, just before the collapse, so even a reprint set would have seen an unusually high print run versus any other time in the industry.

^ Good summary. So, since you are the resident expert on these issues, any other observations? Why do you think 4th printing is smaller run than 5th? I agree with you just by my own un-scientific observations. But the market seems to favor the 5th print as prices are double or more from what I see.

The rarest though in my opinion is #19, 3rd printing. That book rarely comes up for sale.

Pricing on the 4th and 5th print in CGC 9.8 are both well into the $350 range and sometimes more - I actually think the 4th print in CGC 9.8 is more expensive than the 5th print (but don't haveGPA right now to verify)

I'm no expert, I just wait for 9.8s to show up on eBay or the boards. I've only recently begun searching in wild for these and other death and funeral later printings and I have yet to submit my own books for grading - I do hope to change this soon.

Valiantman's response was spot on about the 4th and 5th rarities. You're right about #19 3rd printing, I think RMA mentioned at one time this was the most difficult to find of all the later printings.

You also asked if I had any other observations. I would add that prices have cooled on #18 first print 9.8s since 2013, especially now that the movie hype has passed. I no longer have GPA so I'm basing this on simply following eBay auctions. I would also conclude that the demand for the multiple printings are from a small group of collectors only, a proverbial drop in the bucket if you will.

Bah - how did I forget Superman 78 :( Thanks for the assist (thumbs u

Superman 78 was so important, it was one of the first books that CGC ever slabbed. :sumo:

0010955001_1200.jpg

lol

Does anyone know if this particular copy - the CGC sample slabbed 9.8 was sold? and if so, where I may be able to track it down?

Superman 78 was so important, it was one of the first books that CGC ever slabbed. :sumo:

0010955001_1200.jpg

lol

Does anyone know if this particular copy - the CGC sample slabbed 9.8 was sold? and if so, where I may be able to track it down?

It's out there. This guy might be able to help...

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=29134&GSub=1534

I, myself, am on the hunt for Adventures 498 CGC 9.8. First book of the Funeral For A Friend, not counting Justice League 70.

Edited by Dexter85

0010955001_1200.jpg

lol

I, myself, am on the hunt for Adventures 498 CGC 9.8. First book of the Funeral For A Friend, not counting Justice League 70.

Looks like he paid $40 for the book back in 2012 or a whopping $16 in 2009...those are the only 2 sales of sample 9.8's in GPA.No cert #'s are given.

What's weirder is that ther is only 1 sale of a "regular" 9.8 in 2012, at $61....you'd think the"sample" slab would catch a premium....but I can see how it wouldn't be viewed as much of a novelty as it would be now, after CGC has introduced 2 more generations of holders since 2012.

0010955001_1200.jpg

lol

Thanks for the lead - book was sold awhile ago, and he has no idea where it is now :(

If anyone knows please let me know :wishluck:

Are there multiple sample copies of this Superman #78, or were several random "modern" books chosen and sampled in various grades?

There are 2 9.8 sample copies recirded in GPA, both have differnt cert #'s.

No idea how many sample slabs of this book exist......could just be these two or x amount more.

I'd guess that there would have to be more sample CGC slabs out there. (shrug)

Seems like that's a question best suited for a CGC rep via the Ask CGC subforum.

I got a few bins of comics at an estate sale recently and much of it was storylines/crossovers such as Phalanx Covenent, AoA, etc. The gem was MOS #18 & #19 as part of a massive Death of Superman, Reign of the Supermen, Funeral for a Friend, etc. set.

Edited by Bird

MoS Doomsday issues are way down since the movie. They have come down by 1/2 in some cases, especially #18 which is known to have a higher print run than #17. We might have already seen the all-time-highs for these issues.

MoS Doomsday issues are way down since the movie. They have come down by 1/2 in some cases, especially #18 which is known to have a higher print run than #17. We might have already seen the all-time-highs for these issues.

Agreed on the price drop. Picked up a 9.9 #18 pretty cheap off the bay. Always been a fan of doomsday plus this was my first 9.9 so I thought what the hell. Already have a buyer lined up for my 9.8 :-)

Agreed on the price drop. Picked up a 9.9 #18 pretty cheap off the bay. Always been a fan of doomsday plus this was my first 9.9 so I thought what the hell. Already have a buyer lined up for my 9.8 :-)

:o

Maybe there is hope for a 9.9...

Anyone know what the 4th and 5th prints are doing these days?

Agreed on the price drop. Picked up a 9.9 #18 pretty cheap off the bay.

That's the problem with all of these movie related speculative hyped books which are actually common as dirt even in uber HG, as it's all about timing the market which is easy to make a mistake. :(

As opposed to the vintage collectible comic books which are much more about time spent in the market, whereby time itself will take care of any purchasing mistakes you may have made. (thumbs u