• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First VENOM?

32 posts in this topic

Ran across this issue of Comics Scene today. Is this the first look at Venom or was he promoted in other media outlets prior to his first comic appearance? It appears the publication date on this mag is March, 1988 and ASM 299 came out in April, 1988, ASM 300 in May, 1988.

v1.JPG

v2.JPG

v3.JPG

The April month on the cover of ASM299 is the month the book is to be pulled from the shelves.

So it was probably on the stands either in Jan or Feb... dont know if magazines have the same 2-3 month shelf life.

The Comics Scene might have been on the shelf the same time as ASM299

I thought it was Marvel Age, or one of the secondary spidey titles. Like a hand almost pushing him in the subway or something.

Correct. In Web of Spider-Man #16, a hand pushes Peter onto the subway tracks to kill him. He expresses astonishment in the fact that his spider sense did not warn him. The writer stated that that was meant to be the first cameo appearance of Venom, but then he got fired or something, so that storyline never took place. So, unofficially (ie. no one seems to care or consider it as a first appearance), this would be the first hint (?) of Venom as a character in the Marvel universe.

I thought it was Marvel Age, or one of the secondary spidey titles. Like a hand almost pushing him in the subway or something.

Correct. In Web of Spider-Man #16, a hand pushes Peter onto the subway tracks to kill him. He expresses astonishment in the fact that his spider sense did not warn him. The writer stated that that was meant to be the first cameo appearance of Venom, but then he got fired or something, so that storyline never took place. So, unofficially (ie. no one seems to care or consider it as a first appearance), this would be the first hint (?) of Venom as a character in the Marvel universe.

Marvel Age #12 had the first black costume, with a red spider instead of white... it wasn't Venom (yet).

Web of Spider-man #18 has the subway tracks story you mentioned... not a black costume on the hand.

Web of Spider-man #24 has one black costume arm reaching out a window and grabbing Peter

(thumbs u

Old post on the board:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1288294Post1288294

Writer David Michelinie and artist Todd McFarlane are generally credited with the character's creation, based on a number of plot ideas and concepts from various other creators, though the degree to which McFarlane should be credited with co-creating the character has been a source of dispute in the comic book industry. Venom's existence was first indicated in Web of Spider-Man #18 (September 1986), when he shoved Peter Parker in front of a subway train without his spider-sense warning him, disturbing Peter a great deal, though only Eddie's hand was on-panel. Another hint was given in Web of Spider-Man #24 (March 1987), when Peter Parker had climbed out of a high story window to change and go into action but found a black arm coming through the window and grabbing him, despite his spider-sense not warning him. He then made a partial appearance on the final page of The Amazing Spider-Man #298, in which he was obscured by shadow, before making his first full appearance on the final page of #299 (May 1988).

That was my post from a few years ago. As a huge venom fan I collect anything with him and consider ASM299 his first app . Books like the one on the OP are cool for collectors like me .

Old post on the board:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1288294Post1288294

Writer David Michelinie and artist Todd McFarlane are generally credited with the character's creation, based on a number of plot ideas and concepts from various other creators, though the degree to which McFarlane should be credited with co-creating the character has been a source of dispute in the comic book industry. Venom's existence was first indicated in Web of Spider-Man #18 (September 1986), when he shoved Peter Parker in front of a subway train without his spider-sense warning him, disturbing Peter a great deal, though only Eddie's hand was on-panel. Another hint was given in Web of Spider-Man #24 (March 1987), when Peter Parker had climbed out of a high story window to change and go into action but found a black arm coming through the window and grabbing him, despite his spider-sense not warning him. He then made a partial appearance on the final page of The Amazing Spider-Man #298, in which he was obscured by shadow, before making his first full appearance on the final page of #299 (May 1988).

To me this.... cameo vs 1st appearance is non-sense. This has been an ongoing debate for many years. The way I see it and should be adopted is if the comic introduces the new character as a clear full shot in one panel or more, that what be considered a 1st appearance. In many instances a panel full shot of the character is consider a cameo, really....I don't understand that concept. If a character first appears in a comic wouldn't that mean 1st appearance. 1st appeared in comic be it one panel, one page or more. Once the guy appears... there you go... first time seeing him. Period. 1st appearance. Thats my take anyway.

Fufat

there is a difference i suppose between first app and the book the market says is the valuable.one. In my opinion Hulk 180 is Wolverines first app just like ASM 299 is Venom's. It allowed me to buy copies of those books and other for way less then they should be and thats not a bad thing i suppose. . Im a Venom fan and if someone ask me his first app I always say ASM 299. and if I could keep one book ASM 299 or 300 I would keep 299 as a Venom fan. Just my opinion.

I like ASM #300 better simply because the cover is more attractive, though I think it would have been better with Venom in the pose and not Spidey.

I prefer 298 to 299 for the same reason, it has a cooler cover.

I consider 298 a cameo (the first being the WoS issue) with 299 being the first appearance. 300 could be considered first full "story" with Venom.

Web of Spider-Man #18 (thumbs u

But it all depends on your definition of 1st appearance. Is it when you first see any mentioning what-so-ever of Venom? Do you count Eddie Brock? Is it when he is first seen as Venom? Is it when the consensus sees the 1st appearance in ASM 300 even-though his first full in-suit appearance is the last page of 299)? Do you consider Venom the symbiote with any host ( i.e. peter being the first Venom), if so MSW 8 would be the first?

Complicated and diluted storylines leads to many definitions which leads to many opinions, and in my opinion there are many 1st's as illogical as that seems, but only because it isn't cut and dry, it's not like BOOM here's Venom in ASM 300 and caught everyone by surprise. Instead they sneak (his arm) in some mysterious storyline about pushing Peter into a train in WoS and ease him into mainstream with 298 and 299.

Jerome

Web of Spider-Man #18 (thumbs u

But it all depends on your definition of 1st appearance. Is it when you first see any mentioning what-so-ever of Venom? Do you count Eddie Brock? Is it when he is first seen as Venom? Is it when the consensus sees the 1st appearance in ASM 300 even-though his first full in-suit appearance is the last page of 299)? Do you consider Venom the symbiote with any host ( i.e. peter being the first Venom), if so MSW 8 would be the first?

Complicated and diluted storylines leads to many definitions which leads to many opinions, and in my opinion there are many 1st's as illogical as that seems, but only because it isn't cut and dry, it's not like BOOM here's Venom in ASM 300 and caught everyone by surprise. Instead they sneak (his arm) in some mysterious storyline about pushing Peter into a train in WoS and ease him into mainstream with 298 and 299.

Jerome

Yes in that instance with Eddie Brock's hand. Its just a hand nothing more.... If there was a panel that clearly showed Eddie actually pushing Peter as in both characters in one panel then I would say different. An appendage to me doesn't seal the deal as and appearance. Just my view.

Fufat