• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 and/or X-Men 94 Club
13 13

1,213 posts in this topic

I don't have pictures handy, but I have two GSX1s and a 94. I purchased my first GSX when I has a child in the early 80s. I was a big fan of the X-Men and was working on eventually having all the new X-Men comics. I knew I'd eventually have to acquire GSX1, so finally I bit the bullet and saved up my paper route money and got a copy for $35 at my local comic store. About two months later, that same store held a drawing for various valuable items. The owner called me to tell me that I had won the copy of GSX1. So I quickly went from having no copies to having two copies. I recently got them slabbed. The one I purchased is a 5.5, and the one I won is a 6.0. Several months later, I bought a 94, which has yet to be graded.

Besides collecting, one reason those comics were important for me to have was that back then, there were no reprints or online versions. If I wanted to know the origin and early history of the new X-Men, the only way to learn it was by acquiring and reading the comics. Even if I had had a friend who owned them, there is no way they would have loaned out such valuable comics. 

1 hour ago, tvindy said:

I don't have pictures handy, but I have two GSX1s and a 94. I purchased my first GSX when I has a child in the early 80s. I was a big fan of the X-Men and was working on eventually having all the new X-Men comics. I knew I'd eventually have to acquire GSX1, so finally I bit the bullet and saved up my paper route money and got a copy for $35 at my local comic store. About two months later, that same store held a drawing for various valuable items. The owner called me to tell me that I had won the copy of GSX1. So I quickly went from having no copies to having two copies. I recently got them slabbed. The one I purchased is a 5.5, and the one I won is a 6.0. Several months later, I bought a 94, which has yet to be graded.

Besides collecting, one reason those comics were important for me to have was that back then, there were no reprints or online versions. If I wanted to know the origin and early history of the new X-Men, the only way to learn it was by acquiring and reading the comics. Even if I had had a friend who owned them, there is no way they would have loaned out such valuable comics. 

Must seem like forever ago, and at the same time like yesterday!

Glad you hung onto them and that it's now a story and part of your collection, with all the huplah and etc. the stories mean more :tink: 

3 hours ago, tvindy said:

I’m going to cheat. I bought a copy of The Uncanny XM Vol 1 Omnibus and hopefully they will reprint Vol 2 soon.

I think it’s awesome that you kept your copies.

5 minutes ago, piper said:

I’m going to cheat. I bought a copy of The Uncanny XM Vol 1 Omnibus and hopefully they will reprint Vol 2 soon.

I think it’s awesome that you kept your copies.

It's quite possible that if such options had been available to me back then, I may never even have bought GSX1, especially considering that I didn't even particularly like the story. lol

3 minutes ago, tvindy said:

It's quite possible that if such options had been available to me back then, I may never even have bought GSX1, especially considering that I didn't even particularly like the story. lol

On the other hand GSX1 is very sale-able in all grades (as you know).  I don't like the story either but even I own a copy.  It has too much upwards growth not to park a copy in my collection.

1 hour ago, tvindy said:

Yes,  x 94 was a much better story with Chris Claremont helming the ship... love that guys stories and that's why x94 is more special to me

5 minutes ago, tvindy said:

Agreed! I always say that no X-Men story written by someone other than Claremont is ever good.

Agree that's why I think x 94 so undervalued and buy copies while they are relatively cheap compared to GS X1. Someone who actually read the series understands why this book is so amazing. It's the beginning of  his legendary run...He is just a genius at writing.

Edited by Wolverinex

35 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Agree that's why I think x 94 so undervalued and buy copies while they are relatively cheap compared to GS X1. Someone who actually read the series understands why this book is so amazing. It's the beginning of  his legendary run...He is just a genius at writing.

Yes, and the cover of GSX1 is just dumb, imho. I mean, Cyclops is there twice! And he's basically being astonished by himself. lol

Super Friends #7 was clearly inspired by that cover, but they actually made it look good, or at least funny and entertaining.

gsx1.jpg

sf7.jpg

2 hours ago, tvindy said:

Yes, and the cover of GSX1 is just dumb, imho. I mean, Cyclops is there twice! And he's basically being astonished by himself. lol

Super Friends #7 was clearly inspired by that cover, but they actually made it look good, or at least funny and entertaining.

gsx1.jpg

sf7.jpg

LOL! WOW, I never realized that Cyclops was on there twice!  That looks ridiculous now that you mention it.. hahaha.  Yeah, I've stated this before, I LOVE wolverine, but not having him on the cover doesn't stop me from loving the X94 cover

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

LOL! WOW, I never realized that Cyclops was on there twice!  That looks ridiculous now that you mention it.. hahaha.  Yeah, I've stated this before, I LOVE wolverine, but not having him on the cover doesn't stop me from loving the X94 cover

Yes, no one knew at that time that Wolverine would be the X-Men's breakout character.

46 minutes ago, tvindy said:

Yes, no one knew at that time that Wolverine would be the X-Men's breakout character.

There's a reason why Cyclops is shown twice.  He's part of the old and new guard. 2c

1 minute ago, piper said:

There's a reason why Cyclops is shown twice.  He's part of the old and new guard. 2c

Yes, I understood that. It's just a bit too literal for my liking. It might have worked better without that look of astonishment on his face. :)