• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 and/or X-Men 94 Club
13 13

1,213 posts in this topic

On 12/15/2020 at 3:33 AM, CoolhandCamus said:

Is it normal for X-Men 94 to have the red coloring on the cover to bleed a little to the cover?

Nice thread

About that paper coloring.  I always have suspected that comic books glossy covers are acidic papers.

xmen94.jpg

11 hours ago, ganni said:

I always have suspected that comic books glossy covers are acidic papers.

This is something I've never understood with regard to comic book preservation. Since comics (especially the older ones) are not printed on acid-free paper, how does putting them in mylar bags protect them? The acid is already there. And yet there are SA  and even GA comics with white pages and in 9.0+ condition. What keeps the acidic paper from becoming yellow and brittle? (I've often thought it might be an interesting idea to bag comics with a pinch of baking soda to increase the pH, but I'd be afraid to experiment with my comics.)

33 minutes ago, tvindy said:

This is something I've never understood with regard to comic book preservation. Since comics (especially the older ones) are not printed on acid-free paper, how does putting them in mylar bags protect them? The acid is already there. And yet there are SA  and even GA comics with white pages and in 9.0+ condition. What keeps the acidic paper from becoming yellow and brittle? (I've often thought it might be an interesting idea to bag comics with a pinch of baking soda to increase the pH, but I'd be afraid to experiment with my comics.)

Use Micro chamber paper.  

48 minutes ago, tvindy said:

Well, I think it is usually heat that causes the pages to become yellow/brown/brittle, not just the acid, due to improper storage in a garage/attic/etc. I would imagine the mylar is more to keep contaminants from the air away from the comic book, and also to provide an inert surface for the comic to rest against.

With the huge run-up price wise in GSXM1 - is X-Men 94 primed for a run-up as well?

While I understand and agree that GSXM1 is the more important book containing the sought after 1st appearances - there was a time when these books were equally priced, now it seems that X-Men 94 is 1/4 the price in some grades (which seems crazy). 

23 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

With the huge run-up price wise in GSXM1 - is X-Men 94 primed for a run-up as well?

While I understand and agree that GSXM1 is the more important book containing the sought after 1st appearances - there was a time when these books were equally priced, now it seems that X-Men 94 is 1/4 the price in some grades (which seems crazy). 

Absolutely.  Similar to Hulk 180, this will eventually spike since most GSX1s needs their X94 counterparts. 

Plus, first Claremont... the genius that defined X-men for me.... before him... the stories were pretty much trash... Sorry Stan.  

52 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Plus, first Claremont... the genius that defined X-men for me.... before him... the stories were pretty much trash... Sorry Stan. 

Roy Thomas did an ok job for me...

x56.jpg

On 12/30/2020 at 8:27 PM, Chillax23 said:

Its already shown serious movement in 9.6. I'm not sure about the other grades but 9.6 has shot way up with the last two auctions. Maybe 9.4 from the little I've seen. 9.8s don't sell that often otherwise I'm sure it would of shot up as well. #100 has been hot and possibly 101.