• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 and/or X-Men 94 Club
13 13

1,213 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, rsouxlja7 said:

I have a low grade raw GSX1 signed by Dave Cockrum on the first page. It's a 2.0-3.0. Would it be better to leave it raw and get a good pic of the signed page or get it slabbed? Only intentions are to sell it in the next couple of years, not my keeper copy. 

I would take a snapshot of the signature then submit it.

8 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Insanity, just pure insanity these sales! GSX1 is definitely starting to have it's day in the sun lol.

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 8.15.19 AM.png

Yes, especially since I thought that this particualr book was pretty plentiful in HG as it was supposedly part of some big warehouse find back in the day.  hm  (shrug)

What really pisses me off is that I had a really super nice copy of this book which I left at my sister's basement for "safekeeping" and lo and behold, it along with one of my uber HG X-Men 94 was gone when I went looking for it decades later.  Must have been my nephew who decided to cash it in to pay for some of his action figures which he was really into at the time.  :frustrated:  :censored:

Edited by lou_fine

41 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, especially since I thought that this particualr book was pretty plentiful in HG as it was supposedly part of some big warehouse find back in the day.  hm  (shrug)

What really pisses me off is that I had a really super nice copy of this book which I left at my sister's basement for "safekeeping" and lo and behold, it along with one of my uber HG X-Men 94 was gone when I went looking for it decades later.  Must have been my nephew who decided to cash it in to pay for some of his action figures which he was really into at the time.  :frustrated:  :censored:

Whoa, uncool move Lou! No nephew should be touching your personal stash 😮! Can only imagine how nice those copies were to.

7 minutes ago, drotto said:

I know there are books with crazy high values, but is GSXM setting records on how fast it has reached those levels?

Has to be close, I debated in the Xmen 1 (it has also been on a crazy pace as well) Thread that those of us who came up in the 80's viewed this as "the" book to have as an Xmen collector, Love X1 but this was our team, the 60's Xmen was like the NBA of the 60's to me and my friends.

Just now, PKJ said:

Has to be close, I debated in the Xmen 1 (it has also been on a crazy pace as well) Thread that those of us who came up in the 80's viewed this as "the" book to have as an Xmen collector, Love X1 but this was our team, the 60's Xmen was like the NBA of the 60's to me and my friends.

I will never forget that about 25 years ago my LCS had a nice copy of GSXM 1 likely between a 7 or 8.  I was a poor student and could not afford the $100. I bought my current copy about 2 years ago for what seems now like a bargain price, but have never stopped kicking myself about passing that one up.

2 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

How are prices for X94 going?  Seems like I've seen more people looking for a copy now.  

I have a 7.5 which I paid $195 for raw 3 years ago. Last sale on that grade was $799.  So similar rise from a percentage standpoint, just a much lower entry point. 

3 minutes ago, drotto said:

I will never forget that about 25 years ago my LCS had a nice copy of GSXM 1 likely between a 7 or 8.  I was a poor student and could not afford the $100. I bought my current copy about 2 years ago for what seems now like a bargain price, but have never stopped kicking myself about passing that one up.

Ha we have been there. When I started on ebay in 99 I used to buy and sell IH180 and GSX1. I sold close to 15 copies of IH181 over a 3 year period and less than 10 copies GSX1. The good old days.

2 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Whoa, uncool move Lou! No nephew should be touching your personal stash 😮! Can only imagine how nice those copies were to.

Yeah, if I remember it was pretty much a real HG copy with a real nice squarebound spine which is not that easy to come by with these big books.  :cloud9:

Never really bothered me that much since I thought it was pretty much always available in HG and at the time it might have been going for less than an X-Men 94 due to its apparent abundance in grade. hm (shrug)

Well, at least he left me with one of the two X-Men 94's which I had in there.  :applause:

Thank God I picked up 2 copies of them at the same local con way back in the day when I thought that I had gotten ripped off buying the first copy for a whole dollar.  As I was walking out the door, I saw this other dealer had his minty fresh copy at only 30 cents and since I figured the first dealer would never give me my dollar back, I better take the second copy also.  My thinking at the time was that this would help lower my breakeven cost down to only 65 cents and that way not lose as much money if I was ever lucky enough to be able to find somebody to sell it to one day.  :takeit:  :banana:

Edited by lou_fine

13 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Insanity, just pure insanity these sales! GSX1 is definitely starting to have it's day in the sun lol.

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 8.15.19 AM.png

Just wow $40K+ this book is definitely on a rampage...but so is every other keys it seems these days don’t know what’s happening...

1 hour ago, mjoeyoung said:

I was watching those XM 94s on comiclink.  They took some big jumps near the end I believe.  Those prices don't make any sense.  They are DOUBLE the prices of just a few weeks ago.  This just sold on 1/17 for $7800 and now $20K?

Oh yes they do, if you take into consideration the fact that the two auction formats are completely different from one another.  hm

The Heritage auction format (similar to the CC 3-minute extended bidding format) keeps the auction going one bid at a time until there is an eventual winner.  This clearly provides the bidder with some time to consider if they rstionally should take the bid up to the next bid increment or not.  Especially in the case of the CC auction format which gives you an extended 3 minutes to decide which believe me, is a whole lot of time for you not to make any irrational bidding decisions.  hm  (thumbsu

The CL auction format is much like the eBay format and as such, an auction ends right on the button according to its pre-designated scheduled time.  As such, this will at times clearly work out to the advantage of the consignor when it comes to hot in-demand books as you will often get two potential bidders who decide that they want a particular book and each will end up throwing in a Hail Mary completely out of this universe bid on the assumption that nobody else would be that stupid to throw in a similar kind of bid.  :screwy:  :fear:

If you take a look at the bidding history of this particular X-Men 94 lot, it looks like the bidding was sitting at only the $8K range with less than 10 seconds to go before a couple of most likely automated computerized sniping programs jumped it right into the $20K+ range in the last 7 seconds of the auction which must have put the consignor into a big huge  :whee:  :banana: party mood.  Clearly the case of a consignor's dream come true with this scenario, but for the lucky unlucky winner, it's really more of a self-induced nightmare and yet nobody to really blame but themselves. :screwy: :screwy:

I'll most definitely  :takeit: , the money that is!!!  :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

Oh yes, I understand how it CAN happen, it just doesn't make any sense (at least to me) how somebody would make, as you say

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

a Hail Mary completely out of this universe bid on the assumption that nobody else would be that stupid to throw in a similar kind of bid

of SUCH epic proportions!  You called it irrational, but I think we may be talking insanity here. :ohnoez:

Edited by mjoeyoung